Ankh Camping, and a solution

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Denied, Apr 30, 2018.

?

Should ankh camping be mitigated/reportable?

1. Of course, getting camped at ankh's is horrid

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No, Ankh Camping is fun. Kinda like punching handicapped children is fun

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. STFU Denied, you sure do ***** a lot

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denied

Denied Avatar

So recently, i have been having a select few people wait until i am low HP in a zone then gank me. They will then immediately camp the ankh and gank again and again.

I understand PVP zones are suppose to be brutal and uncool, however this behaviour is VERY discouraging to people coming in to the game.

Also, no matter what people say about the warning for PVP zones, or "thats the price of PVP", as i said, i understand that. Its just antisocial pisspoor behavior that is not helpful to the game AT ALL. In addition, if i am a new player to the game, and every single "BEST XP" zone in the game is in a PVP forced area(isle of bones, Fall lich room, ect.), or certain items are in a PVP forced area(Obsidian Lich Helm pattern, for example. Chaos Pollen?), then when said new player finally works up the nerve to go to a PVP area then gets ankh camped by some asshat, what is that new player going to tell their friends whom are potential recruits to the game? it sure as hell wont be "come to this game"

These individuals wont actually fight me fair and square mind you, they only ever engage when guaranteed a win.

at any rate, to mitigate this issue i propose a solution. Each consecutive killshot from Player A to Player B after the first 3? give 10% stacking damage resistance to the person getting camped. This will make ankh camping impossible to sustain, but possible to do for a short period of time. The buff should last ~30 minutes.

Alternatively make Ankh camping become a reportable activity. I dont suspect this one will happen, but who knows?

2. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Why do you rez nearby anyhow? How easy could that be exploited to grief players by just always attacking them? I don't get it why this is a problem at all? Sorry :(

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

If this is a common occurrence for you from the same people, you should report it. Camping is one thing. Harassment is another.

More to your point. I think the simplest solution is to give you the option ankhs work like chaos ankhs (random spawn point) when flagged for PVP.

4. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

It's not harassment, it's PKing (albeit a dickish form of it). It's a case of if it's a feature in the game someone is going to use/abuse it.

5. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Welcome to the wonderful world of PvP. Full of ppl who think they are the biggest fish in the pond.
    But as master Qui Gon Jinn said: There is always a bigger fish.

Solution? Don't head there and you won't be killed by other players.
    A fair PvP-system isn't implemented yet and - well - *err* will not be ever ... *is gone in a red mist*.

*satanic laughter*

6. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I agree that PKing is not harassment.

I intended to point out that using a game mechanic for repeated "hunting" of an individual that otherwise could defend themselves could be seen as harassment.

7. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

I mean it's a pretty common occurrence in every PvP game. PKers find where a bottleneck can be for easy kills and use it like mad, be it gate campers in UO, gate snipers in EVE, or in this case Ankh campers. The ransom system pretty much encourages it a bit as well as it's easy money.

8. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Add a large amount of ankhs to each scene so you can respawn at more locations to avoid being camped.

Nog and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  9. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Or just use chaos ankhs that TP you to the area with the least souls.

10. Denied

Denied Avatar

........ how is it the forums always read 10% of a post and don't digest the whole thing?

i PVP a lot. i know the risks. But allowing dickish behaviour does not grow our game. This would be fine if certain things in the game were achievable without flagging PVP. but they are not.......

Do the forum trolls want to just forum troll with themselves forever and not have a successful game?

Tamsen and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  11. Last Trinsic Defender

PvP means all sort of bad boys and girls: Bandits, bosses, sneaking thieves, jerks and cutthroats. Obviously ankh-killing is for cutthroats. Gang up with good guys and kick them into their *piep*.
    So easy.

For example? I completed all three pathes last weekend and never had a problem with PvP. *hint* Activate friends-mode and be happy.

12. Denied

Denied Avatar

go and get me an Obsidian Lich Helm pattern. in friends mode. I emplore you.....

read the OP. Dont weigh in on PVP conversations if your not a PVPer......

13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I cant take this seriously so I voted for punching the handicapped kid.

There are so many ways you can get rezzed, this really shouldn't be an issue.
    - Rez somewhere further away
    - Use a chaos rez point that spawns you elsewhere
    - Ask a friend to rez you
    - Call friends and camp the rez point yourself as a guard for the weak and hopeless
    - Leave the zone
    - Don't flag PvP.....Accept that in open PvP there will never be "fair" fights......you might be better suited to duels and arenas.

And remember, "PvP" is a very broad and subjective element of the game that covers a whole range of play styles.......just because you don't like or enjoy a particular play style doesn't mean it is wrong.........that is why you have so many options to avoid getting rezkilled. Back in UO I always took the view that if I was rezkilled it was 100% my own fault for being stupid.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  14. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a troll. That term gets tossed around so much here by people who seemingly don't know the actual meaning.
    Not everyone (especially in PvP) wants an honorable experience, nor should it be forced. You say allowing dickish behavior doesn't grow the game, neither does putting specific restrictions on an already optional and small PvP scene in a niche game.
    Envy pretty much nailed the options you have.

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Why is the poll loaded?

16. Last Trinsic Defender

Oh I am a pvp by heart ... but only in games with equal chances and minimal luck-factor. Not in SOTA where players have used bugs and cheats for years now. The only other RPG as bad in pvp that I know of is the online-version of neverwinter.

And about the helm - the talk was about quest-related steps. And all three quest-pathes are doable without pvp-danger.

Dhanas and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  17. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

I might be misunderstanding some of the posts. All of the truth,love, courage, and Oracle quest lines can be completed without going into PvP zones by utilizing the tunnel networks. I did all the lines over the past month or so. Also, for the heck of it I came out through the PvP zones and did a /who. I didn’t see anyone in the zone assuming that works.

18. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

you forgot you can change your mode you can go to friends or party only and single player

19. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Not in PvP flagged zones.

Nog and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  20. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

you still don't have to rez in zone if nothing else you can exit to the overworld map

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.