Am I missing something obvious regarding the "released" version of the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nobodyOOGN, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobodyOOGN

nobodyOOGN Avatar

Maybe I'm overly naive as this is my first extensive experience with an MMO, but it just seems a little odd that the game got as broken as it was on the Release 53 "update" and the devs are still sorting through the debris and trying to salvage the improvements a couple days after it dropped. Is this sorta thing normal both here at SoTA and in MMOs in general or is this just a particularly unfortunate bit of updating?

I've been a *lot* frustrated by the disruptions to inventory management which has rendered my small-time game marginally playable, I really can't imagine what a pain it has been for folks more heavily invested in the system. I'm not particularly accustomed to losing the option to (realistically) play a game for days at a time while "improvements" get sorted out, especially after a product release. Dealing with the small in-game frustrations relating to AV protection-related crashes, non-function of the in-game map, oddly interminable quests and other lower-impact bugs has been a bit of a pain, but I'm just disappointed at the idea of a product that feels half-done with a lot of ups and downs after the amount of time it's spent in development and the amount of money that has been poured into it.

Wish I had anything more constructive to suggest and am disappointed that this will come across as needlessly whiny, just a big fan of the original Ultima series and was hoping for something similarly engaging and polished (again, understanding that the world here is orders of magnitude different as an MMO from an isolated single player campaign or even UO back in the "good old days"). The danger with expectations of any kind...

Best wishes to all in-game and on the dev side, thanks for doing what you do, just hope that things smooth out a bit in the coming months...

Chatele, Leostemplar, smack and 7 others like this.
  2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It's pretty normal for the first few days after a new SotA release to be pretty rough with lots of patches, but usually not with as many problems as R53 had.

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

All online games tend to have some disruption around releases. That said, this release has a lot more than almost any of the ones we've seen in the past. Don't expect this to be the norm.

econner, FrostII, Vrunk Hrrk and 5 others like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

hello and welcome @nobodyOOGN . Sorry you have been frustrated, well it is pretty common here. This game is not completed by any means and the way it works is we are still testers even though the game has released officially, I don't believe it is being advertised all that much since they are still adding so much to it, like every month. So at the beginning of a release you will see more bugs until they patch them up. I don't see that changing, it has been the way this game goes as they react to our feedback and add things or change things.

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

There are always many issues the first week or so of a release. That being said, I started in r22 and this has been one of the worse releases for critical issues that I've been a part of. But I have faith they will get to a lot of the problems this week. Patience is a virtue.

6. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I'd agree with the sentiment of people in this thread. This is a bit worse than normal. I'd say the bugs are normally not so game-breaking. The inventory (stacking) issue is particularly bad. This game actually gets very frequent (12/year) large updates, and is surprisingly stable, given how large some of the updates are.

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Like everyone has been saying, yes, this is fairly common here. After a release there are usually a few problems which need to get fixed. Having said that I do agree with my fellow players that R53 has been one of the worst as it relates to balancing and bug issues.

8. Hellscream

Hellscream Avatar

Dont know the usual issues that happens on recently launched MMO'S, but i remember when started to play Age of Conan, the very first day, an update of 700 MB was awaiting me. And that was about 10 years ago, when the internet downloading speed was... Of ten years before

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Nikko like this.
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Its pretty typical for release. In fact, SOTA's release is far better then any other mmo I have played. Most of them you cant even log in for the first week because they experience their first true work loads and have issues.

One of the few things I think was good out of this idea about allowing people to play the game while its in development is that they get most things fixed before release.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I disagree that this was a typical release. We normally don't have bugs exist over the weekend that make crafting unusable, or see the big uptick on crash reports.

Yes, bugs slip through, but R53 will be remembered as a particularly tough batch of them.

But generally the first week is a bit of a ride, regardless of the month.

11. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

To be honest, I'd feel a lot more secure if there seemed to be more of a response from the powers that be that recognizes corrections need to be made, but most of what I've seen has been hype about how great the changes are. I'm not usually one to complain, but it's been kind of tough to weather through this one so far.

Chatele, moxiepilot, Almar and 4 others like this.
  12. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

The first release after persistence there was a bug that allowed people to get a million exp an hour. Devs left it for a month...

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This one has seemed rougher than usual... it's not the norm.

14. Gregg247

Gregg247 Avatar

How much do you want to bet that during the telethon on Friday, they'll STILL have B.R.E. (Best Release Ever) written on the white board.

At that point, "B.R.E." will be as reliable as "Most dramatic rose ceremony ever". ;)

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  15. golruul

golruul Avatar

Release 53 is worse than normal (from my view) regarding the amount of bugs/balancing. Ignoring this particular release, I would still classify the game as excessively and needlessly buggy.

This game needs a hell of a lot more automated testing. Bugs like Riposte, after a successful parry, not actually doing more damage or actually being able to be blocked should have never existed in the first place. A basic automated test should have been implemented in the very beginning to test this.

It apparently was fixed at one time, but then got broke again somehow. The automated (i.e. doesn't waste any human time with manual testing) test would have prevented this the second time around.

There was a similar issue with dodge and opportunity strike. These kinds of bugs should never have existed in the first place.

Chatele, smack, Gorthyn and 2 others like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

People can get a million xp an hour right now tho

17. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

In the Rise?

18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

So the XP cap is 1 mil per hour, not per 24 hours?

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

They were doing it at very low with a tamed pet. Didn't even need Taming.

Elwyn likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

It is not actually a virtue :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.