A newbie PVP zone.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Nick, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

"The funny thing is I actually quite enjoyed that fight, my jaw hit the floor though when I saw how much it cost me. It doesn't matter if I have 10k gold or 5.5 million gold. A 6k+ ransom cost on one equipped item and a few spider silk is too much. Hopefully the devs will read this and take it to heart. Honestly, PVP has been one of the driving factors for my involvement in this game. I will simply take no more PVP related risks though." - Mr X

How about creating 1 PVP scene where there is no ransom (and a level 40 cap?). It can act as a acid test to players who might be interested in PVP without ransom or losses. We have the Rise, the Fall, why not have the Middleground?

If its popular, we can expand on it. If it doesn't, just remove it.

2. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

I guess the equipable was not a torch...

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

It was a shield of attraction!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Womby

Womby Avatar

Let's see, we have:
    The Fall
    Blood Bay
    5 x shardfalls
    8 x ruins
    various PVP POTs.

It seems to me that some of these could have different rules applied.
    For example, each of the 8 ruins could have different level caps, penalties, etc. applied and people could vote with their feet.*
    Also, PVP POT owners could be given the right to set their own rules.*

* These should be published so people know what they are walking in to. It should also be possible to find out in advance the ransom cost of everything you carry into a PVP zone - this is the informed part of informed consent.

(Just a suggestion - I don't do PVP, so feel free to ignore me.)

5. Nick

Nick Avatar

wow... so many PVP scenes. So deserted too. :(

Was thinking using a small scene like the current Tenebris Harbour. You enter it with a choice of being Chaos or Order. Have a 1 hr event every 8 hrs during weekends where first time participants can get a cloak (maybe a title too?), and the daily top 3 players from Chaos and Order get something like 1 coto. (or sponsored items from other players. Maybe display sponsored messages when you enter the scene for the day)

If there's a level 40 cap, would be great for players above 40 to create a PVP profile and reinvest the adventure xp to the various skills. When these players enter the scene, they will be using that profile instead of their actual levels.

Just an idea. Feel free to ignore me too.

Cianna likes this.
  6. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

They could just take the easy route and simply balance ransom costs . . IMO ransom cost should never reach 6,000 regardless of what items are randomly selected. A shield of attraction is valued at like 5k, so why would the ransom cost be more than the items worth? Makes no sense. If I know I could possibly lose 6k each time I lose in PVP, I will never PVP no matter how rich I am.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Isn't it 6 ruins and 4 shardfalls? Opalis, Rhun, Kas, Midras, Dysborg, and Libris ruins; Paladis, Verdantis, Grunvald, and Quel shardfalls? Or am I not thinking of some?

8. Jenshae

Jenshae Avatar

Why not just have PVP as part of an option in the tutorial to go against other people doing the tutorial?

If there is world access, people will get twinks in there. It needs to be one directional.

9. Womby

Womby Avatar

Oops. You are right. I'm not sure how I managed to screw that up.

10. Nick

Nick Avatar

Levels will be a little too low at that point. Maybe a barracks near the main town Resolute? Call it Fibua. (fighting in build up area)

I feel they should try to make PVP fun for the mid level casuals. If it becomes fun for them, they might be more willing to overcome the fear of losing something, and adapt to the ransom system. Those ruins and shard falls are really well done. But no casuals want to be there unless they are doing the quest runs. Even then, some are complaining about having to go through a PVP scene. Its such a shame.

If the newbie PVP scene prove to be successful, it might even entice role players to go since there's a cap.

At this point, we need player growth, fun things to retain players. PVP is interesting. There should be risk and rewards. But I feel there should also be something like a training simulator for casuals.

Nog and Cianna like this.
  11. Hector al'Hector

Hector al'Hector Avatar

I've enjoyed casual PvP quite a lot in other games, but only in games where you were PvPing for a benefit, never at risk of personal loss (e.g. winners get a benefit for their faction, accrue points toward buying cool clothes, or whatever).

I just can't see myself dipping my toe into PvP with stakes as high as they are in this game. Just like there's no way I'd sit down to learn Texas Hold'Em for the first time at a high stakes table.

A few zones with different tiers of risk (ideally starting at "friendly matches: no ransom") would be just the thing to draw out the casuals like me.

Also, while it might be helpful to have a dedicated lowbie zone, we should also have low-risk zones without level caps to encourage the mid- to high-level cowards like me to get into PvP.

Nog and Nick like this.
  12. Gnarl

Gnarl Avatar

I have an open pvp ransom currently. 700g for a vendor bought basic sickle. Yes, the cotton plants aren't getting pruned. Point being why would I spend 700 gold for an item that cost me 80g from a vendor npc? Maybe the ransom system is a bit too expensive. Maybe you should put a value on enchantment/enhancements on a crafted item to fix that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.