Create Moongates already!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hurricane, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

My view on this is that the theory of regional markets will never ever work whilst keeping the game fun for people. Creating regional markets has to make it time consuming to travel, this is something that maybe hardcore rpg players might enjoy, but the masses would find boring and irritating.

As it stands EVERYBODY adds as many players onto their friends list as they can......not because they are friends but just so they can fast travel.

I would like to see the teleporting to friends disappear (along with their location). A proper fast travel system created with runebook and marking of locations (I miss the old UO runebook librarys with unusual loctions marked).

Gorthyn, 3devious and Hurricane like this.
  2. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I make i think fine bows and armor, but I do not sell them because the effort is to big an hassle (and I do not bother to competete with flashy big stores selling junk for inflated prices)

Hurricane likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I think it will get better. We need more tools still that are missing. Right now we can all grow anything, make anything, sell all the same stuff no matter where we live so trade is less interesting. And as to living in a ghost town why do that? We have a mail system we can also sell through and we have a market place here. Now it would be great if our vendors could go to market and if we had that chance in game to advertise our vendors on the newly implemented public bulletin boards in some Npc towns, but so far they don't have added features and the notes on bulletin boards don't show up as interactive. You can barely see them to notice they are there.

@DarkStarr can you explain improvements coming to the bulletin boards in Npc towns. Right now flyers are less than noticeable and blend in with the boards.

You can barely see them, plz fix this. and players can't add notices there even if limited to advertise their vendors and events for all to see.

Exploring all cities to find what you want can be a daunting series of loadtimes going from city to city. These could be meeting places to advertise your business and event and talk about trade. ;). Like a giant in game classified page whuch is a big news paper;)

Edited typos

4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Its not really funny... its kinda what Ultima is....

5. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I enjoy the diverse ways of getting around.

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

In SotA lunar rifts (aka moongates) are done with stone circles. So for a mage to cast such a spell would require 159 granite blocks to create said stone circle before the lunar rift spell could be cast. Simple.

7. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

Almost all the main cities are occupied already getting a place is further away which tends to be a ghost town.

Using the mail seems like a work around rather than a functional fun system. I know WoW uses the mail for goods but not for a Ultima style game.

can you explain what you mean by "vendor go to market"? you mean leave say you house and go to a city?
    That would be an interesting system idea to explore.

The bulletin boards... last thing I want to do Is read post after post looking for a vendor let along players managing them for there advertisement. that's me but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

My post was all about making it easier to get from one place to another what form that takes whether it be overland moongates or runebooks is fine by me but what I do know is the transportation system or lack thereof in place now stinks.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A bit of an exaggeration. Not EVERYBODY does this and not always for the same reasons. Only reason I allow people I don't know on my friends list is because I run events now and then. I do not use them for travel myself unless I'm in their group or otherwise meeting them somewhere. As for my other characters, I do not accept random friend requests period. Under no circumstances do I put out random friend requests on any character.

Then again, it doesn't bother me to take a whole 2-5 minutes to get where I want to go and I usually know exactly where that is.

9. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

Kinda splitting hairs a bit Bowen, we know what Envy meant and he's right. I bet you and a few others are in the minority.

10. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Bowen might be in a minority but not alone in his thought. I seldom accept friend requests. It is far too easy to just follow the road across the overland map. Try it. This is not UO.

Cordelayne and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Some distinctions should be made if you want to have an honest discussion. Stating extremes as facts is often misleading, especially when you presume to speak for other people. Doesn't matter if you think I'm in the minority or not.

12. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

lol, try it? It's the only option we have unless using the friends list.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Actually I think UO was a lot worse. :) I remember once a guy in Vesper begging for a gate to Minoc for 20 minutes! He could've walked there in 5. And people recalling across the street from vendor to vendor.. Being in a hurry is one thing but I saw it all the time people spending reagents competing to buy up more reagents and literally recalling almost everywhere they went.

I get that people want to make efficient use of their time but if you want it too easy it'll get ridiculous very quickly.

14. Santa Clause

Santa Clause Avatar

I would like to see a system where you could clear a control point (by beating a boss or holding it for a certain amount of time) and, once it's beaten, you don't have to enter it again unless you want to.

Then, add a weight limit that can be carried through lunar rifts or via teleporting (about the weight of a full set of armor and a weapon).

Third, introduce pack animals and wagons. If you have a pack animal or wagon, you still have to go through the control points and the number of bandits inside will scale to the number of pack animals / wagons you bring through. Bandit will steal some of your stuff unless you are well guarded.

If you are flagged PVP, there will be no additional bandits but anything on the pack animals / wagons is lootable. Add something to shardfalls that will help PVPers fight PVPers in the control points so there is point to going to shardfalls.

I think that this will could make travelling the overworld less annoying, give people a real reason to clear a control point, help with the trade route goal, and help PVP incentives without really giving PVPers anything.

15. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

Listen folks, I'm not here to argue, The forums have a "wish list" section and this is my wish for the game.

I would like to steer this back to a discussion of the nuts and bolts. I jumped the track and got a bit heated myself.

I wish i could post a picture with a marked up map to show everyone how my idea would look but it doesn't allow it.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Always thought that if a group had control of a control point (in any instance) the gates on the overworld should open. Just that aspect alone would give some folks reason to do it.

Santa Clause likes this.
  17. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

I still would like to see (1) Moongate in every region accessible from the overland map to and from each region at the cost on (1) teleport scroll each time you use it. no fancy back story, gimmick or mechanic attached to it.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Everyone wants everything right now... How stressful.
    Relax, breathe, slow down, walk... You can get across the continent in less than 5 minutes.

19. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

Don't you have to go through a bunch of T5 areas to get across the continent? also I keep seeing this 5 minute time posted but I am a bit skeptical.

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Do it all the time. Did it as a n00b... and with all the wipes from the beforetime, I was a n00b many times.
    The only one that's problematic is the one up to Drachenwald...
    And, you can always pay the wizard 1500g and skip to the end... I never did. I'm cheap.

If you're skeptical... try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.