Salvaging special items for eternal pattern question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Macius34, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macius34

Macius34 Avatar

Hi all, my apologies if this has been asked before. I was thinking of salvaging some of my new Darkstarr items to extract the eternal patterns and apply to my own armour and weapons. My question is, and this goes for other items that have a "special effect" such as light source etc. Once salvaged and the patter reapplied to another weapon or piece of armour, is that "effect lost" or also applied to the piece you have just reshaped.

Kindest Regards

Laird Scottish

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the special effects are lost.

StarLord likes this.
  3. Macius34

Macius34 Avatar

Ahh thanks for that. Makes me sad though :( - Guess we have to weigh up the loss of coolness for the benefit of improved stat functionality - Thx for the reply :)

Barugon and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If you want to know for certain, you can wait until a QA period begins, then try it there. Being a light source might be kept, if that's part of the way the 3D model works. But stats, or any other functionality like aether player, definitely go away.

5. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

Totally sucks that the aether amp is lost with clockwork. Seems like a mechanical vs. magical effect shouldn’t be lost, but it is.

Oyjord Hansen and Chatele like this.
  6. Macius34

Macius34 Avatar

Sadly, can confirm that light sources die as well when item broken down and pattern reapplied. Had two Lord British Helms (light source), broke down one and applied to crafted plate helm and...no light source. I broke my item...so you don't have to :)

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

My Lord Marshall Helm (and extra that I bought for the purpose) that I salvaged for the Eternal Pattern lost the light effect when applied to my 'real armor' helm.
    This was expected.

8. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

yup my knight marshal helm light is gone, i am slightly sad, but there are many ways to create light now, so /shrug i suppose.

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That's why I bought a second one to Salvage. ;)

10. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Yea i had thought about looking for an extra for sale, figured itd be waay too much just for me to have a slightly brighter light(have cape).
    I tried finding a situation where i would want/need the light vs wearing a combat helmet... i found none, so boom salvaged for pattern

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

The light effect from the LM helm wasn't really effective anyhow.

12. Tirello

Tirello Avatar

On the live stream they mention that you cannot lose in eternal pattern as you can always break the item down and get back.

But I thought you can lose an item to PvP that had an eternal pattern on it thus losing the pattern and whatever real money you paid for it.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

You can, but the way the ransom system works, the ransoms are all reasonable unless you're totally broke. In which case, turn off the PvP flag.

PvP at the moment consists of forgetting about it and having some 100+ leveller surprise you in a Tier 2 zone and before you know it you're ghosted.

Not that I'm complaining, but it's really restricted to the end gamers atm.

Nelzie, majoria70 and Tirello like this.
  14. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

I really, really, really wish I'd known this before I salvaged my clockwork helm for the pattern. How disappointing.

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It wasn't secret information. The fact that special effects don't transfer with the pattern was well advertised.

16. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Careful, you can lose your item if you are not observant. Just happened to me. I mistakenly tried to reshape my chain chest with the darkstar chest. Not paying attention, I tried to initialize the reshape using the darkstar chest before I had salvaged the pattern from it. Thus I had both chests and some coal on the table. Realizing my mistake when trying to reshape, I "took all" from the table to start over (to salvage the pattern). I moused over the darkstar chest and dragged it to the table and hit salvage. I did not notice that all three items, the darkstar chest the crafted chest and the coal dragged back to the table because they were all three highlighted from the previous take all. The result of the salvage was the darkstar pattern and a pile of metal scrap and coal. Guess I will spend upwards of 100,000 gold to reproduce my lost chestpiece..... live and learn.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They made this known when patterns were first introduced but unless you were there and saw that information then you wouldn't know. I really wish they would have some monster FAQ on the website for these types of things.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  18. golruul

golruul Avatar

Even a FAQ wouldn't be good enough in this case. When salvaging, they need to have some gigantic, in-your-face prompt that requires a click-through accept to let the users know that they will lose functionality and never be able to get it back again. Other than the obvious solution of retaining the functionality, this is the only acceptable way to handle this.

If I buy some equipment with a pattern that has some functionality, I expect that functionality to remain when I harvest the pattern and put it on something else. This is common sense. There's no reason why I would even suspect this to not be the case. Because I don't even suspect something like this would happen, why would I look at any FAQ or look through bug reports?

The only way users are going to discover things like this is by getting burned or by reading about someone getting burned. This is bad game design.

Barugon, Oyjord Hansen and majoria70 like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes and it should not be that they have to get burned to discover this. The pop up should state are you sure you want to do that, you will lose the item or pattern. @DarkStarr

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Should definitely be added to the Player Instructions, DarkStarr.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.