98% Game Crash!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hurricane, May 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

As you can see @Berek it works when people have a streak of luck and there is no interference at the critical step which I tried to explain. Also it will happen to some people on some days depending on what previous tasks were handled by the GPU.

I have fixed my windows and tweaked my GPU so it does not happen to me anymore, but it can (and should) be fixed from your end, because it will improve so many issues which are related.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

exactly the same story with me last night but replace the town with Beran's Reach...

3. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Unfortunately, I have to join this "chorus"....
    98% bug has been happening to both of Husband & Me lately.

@Berek We have Windows based, desktop pcs with completely different hardware & ingame settings.
    Only ever occurs when zoning in & out of scenes/towns.

At least we know we are not alone. Hope it can be resolved soon.

4. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

I've been griping about this for months now. It should be mentioned that this issue is probably having an adverse affect on commerce. Personally, I don't even try to go to Owl's Head any more. In better days, I'd be spending thousands daily there because things were readily available. If I were a vendor in one of these towns I'd be very concerned.

5. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

happened to me few times last night teleporting and recalling to serenite and etceter.... spent 2 hours just to go banking and sell stuff.

happened on my 8gb ram system

6. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all and @Hurricane . I will try and offer my help as a technician. I understand you are on windows but I have seen the same problems on Mac and Linux. It would help to know what version of windows you are running, what anti-virus you have, and how much drive space and memory. In the mean time here are my suggestions.

1. Restart computer and don't open any programs other than a web browser. Go to this web site and test you internet speed. http://www.speedtest.net/

2. Click in the bar at the bottom and open Task Manager and click on More details (I am on Win10 so your view may be different) and look for anything in the CPU column that is taking a large percent. If there is something find out what it is. MS office, Chrome, and several anti-virus programs like Norton have been noted as memory/process hogs. Also uninstalling any thing you no longer use helps.

If both of these are good then the next step will be a bit technical so if you are not comfortable doing it get some help. It could really mess up your computer if done wrong.

3.If you have drive D or can partition your hard drive into 2 separate drives install windows to the second one as a dual boot. Once windows is installed and you have booted to it only install SOTA. Consider it a game only drive and do not use it for anything else or install anything else on it.

I do believe the problems are related to lag either with your internet or your computer. Some scenes have not been optimized as well as others and lag can cause quest not to respond as well which seems like a bug problem. I can not double click on things to open then in game so I have to use the E key to do it. This has been reported as a know issue but it is due to lag and high frame rates. If none of this helps let me know and I can PM with you and discuss other options. Good luck.

7. DarkBlueMonkey

DarkBlueMonkey Avatar

I used to get this A LOT, but it would be at something like 58%, or so... The "goes white" just means that the game has stopped processing the message pump. This doesn't necessarily mean it's crashed, it just means that it's ignoring your clicks right now. It might start processing them again once a timer has expired, but I found that more often than not, after about 2 minutes of waiting, the game would tell me that there was a network issue and return to the main screen.

I did a little experimenting and found that if I was doing a download (like a Steam game was updating in the background) the game would hang there a lot anyway. Also, I have abysmal internet, and packet drops occur about 25 to 50% of the time. So, to me, it seems that the client is asking the server for some info, but doesn't have a fallback for if the packet is dropped or a TCP timeout is exceeded. There are various registry tweaks you can do, yes, but I think that part of the client that downloads area information needs a little looking at:

a) make sure that the message pump is still processed from time to time during the network wait for a response (i.e. instead of just waiting for 15 seconds for a server response, wait 5 seconds, 3 times and process pending UI messages each time.. or better yet wait 15 times for 1 second, to prevent the screen-going-white-and-the-app-being-declared-"Not Responding" issue.

b) ensure that ALL messages which aren't answered within a small time are re-tried, and if a certain number of retries fail that a message is popped up that says "We're having difficulty contacting the server just now, please wait while we retry". At the moment it just goes white and if you wait long enough will bomb back to the main menu (or just CTD).

8. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

@Warrior B'Patrick, thanks for trying to help. I'm old, and I've been a developer since the early 80's and a gamer for the same. And I've gotta say that I've never heard a recommendation to repartition a drive in order to in order to get a game to run properly. This problem, for me anyway, has happened on multiple machines. The one I'm on currently has an i7 processor, 32 Gb of memory, 8 Gb video memory, a 500 Gb ssd, and I'm on a lightning fast network connection. I'd be willing to bet my sister (she's old too) that the problem is unrelated to anything on the client side. Then again, being agnostic, I could be wrong.

9. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

I think you right Alexandra. After talked with more than 20 players having this issue, I'm 99% sure the issue has nothign to do with our client files. My guess is something related with the server/networking side, when our client tries to sync with the instance/scene.

And 100% sure we, as players, cannot do anything to fix this. People tried everything and nothing worked.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Cordelayne and Sorthious like this.
  10. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @Alexandra Cornfellow, The reason I recommended the partition is so that all other software would be irrelevant. So many things can slow a computer and network. I have seen a bad wire cause so many rebroadcast of the same information on a network that it brought everyone in an office down. The suggestions were just that, suggestions. The first 2 items would give you an indication of network speed and how busy your computer was with other things. I have diagnosed computers running several programs and multiple tabs in a web browser that has issues with programs. Once you rule out what you have control over then you can be more confidant that it is not the client. Especially when the Devs say they can not reproduce it on their end. Ultimately how can they figure out what the problem is when they can not see it malfunction?

11. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

Thanks to everyone looking into resolving the problem just keep in mind I can't speak for others but for me, I downloaded the game a few days after release from the website, SOTA is not linked to my steam account.

Most Important: for weeks this never happened until Release 53.

This leads me to believe It's not on my end.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And for me I am sorry I did link to steam since then you cannot sell your account. I did not know at the time this would happen. I do hope you can get it resolved Hurricane :)

I don't even play on steam is the sad part about hosing my account ;)

13. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

Unfortunately, that happened to me yesterday as well, trying to get into Greymark Forest. Luckily, as soon as I restart the client, it returned to normal.

I use the client by Steam and I've had problems last week during patches as well. Corrupted files.

But I don't know if this is restricted to Steam users because a friend has been trying to access Owl's Head on both Steam and the direct client and hasn't been able to for a long time. She had to restart the client countless times to enter the city. :(

14. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I had this happen yesterday repeatedly when trying to enter New Britannia Market. I was on the direct client, which was hogging bandwidth both ways because I was seeding game files as well, and on my cell phone's LTE (at full connection strength) network connection.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz (8) System RAM: 16275
    GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M GPU RAM: 4053
    SotA.Win.64.773.Date.05.01.18

15. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

Given the game has about 45k players just how big is this problem?

for a game that is all instances and people having issues entering them it is a huge deal.

16. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

17. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

LiquidBlaze likes this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Just like people have been ignoring my warnings that it would worsen when panning new VFX and synchronous terrain/mapping shaders.

I am not sure why everyone has been ignoring me about it for 4 releases or so... I have sent the solution for windows users privately and not one single person tried my tricks.

I admit it isn't simple, but I'm taking this personally right now. I'm just getting more irritated because this takes a few hours to fix.

Done wasting my time talking to a wall... people seem to enjoy the bug after all. I will take my virtue and dedication elsewhere.

Koldar and Hurricane like this.
  19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Now that you mentioned it, there were two main changes occurred on my machine when this issue started to happen:

1. New GeForce driver updated and 2. SotA April release patch.

Can't think of any causes at the moment.

Cordelayne likes this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Lets make sure we know it ISNT the reflective lighting and the VFX buffer routines... cause we all chose to consciously ignore that this bug appeared exactly when they were pushed.

*rages and walks off cursing at the world*

Hurricane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.