Skill Combo Changes!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by tableclown, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tableclown

tableclown Avatar

Please make skill combos easier to use (Unless im doing it wrong). I'm a death magic melee summoner and using combos for me is so tedious, I don't use them. Maybe I'm doing it wrong... I have my deck rotating skills randomly and to summon skeleton mage, I need to press "R" recognize the skill graphic then press both hotkeys... I feel I might be doing it wrong. I wish I could just put the combo in my skill rotation... Or summon my skeleton mage outside of combat...

2. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

I would do it on a "buff deck" personally and have i.e. slot 5 unlocked with summon skeleton glyphs only in it and enlightenment locked in slot 4. As long as the locked skill is not on cooldown you can combine them both still just by holding button 5 (when the glyph appears) and pressing button 4 while holding it to combine them (without having to press the combo button first)

You can quick swap your deck between fights or even in the middle of fights to summon another one easily enough.

You cannot charge an unlocked glyph so holding it in doesn't do anything other than initiate the combo. You should see an outline around the glyphs you can combine with when they appear.

3. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Avatar

I am totally with the OP. I had no idea how the deck system even worked until I tried to put a combo in one of my locked slots. When I couldn't, I had to do a lot of research and practice and the final result: I absolutely DESPISE the deck concept. I spend all my attention on the skill bars and none actually watching what's going on. By the time I've activated my melee combination that damn archer has run out of range again. GAH!

So I've forsaken combos completely and just gone to a locked set of skills I switch between as the situation requires.

Justice66 likes this.
  4. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Random deck is just asking for more work.
    Set your unlocked skills into slots then have the combos next to each other so u can easy just push both at same time for combo.
    For mine i have like rend = 2 and whirling blade = 3, then i can just press inbetween the keys and hit both same time. Then i have trust = 4 and double strike = 5, same deal.

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Skip the R key. If the two you are trying to combo are 1 and 2, push and hold 1, then push 2, combo complete.

Pushing R locks you into the combo process, so if you screw it up, now you're in a world of hurt and have to get out of that, plus takes an extra keystroke.

Vodalian and Spoon like this.
  6. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Avatar

I had no idea this was even an option. I'll have to give it a try.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

8. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Avatar

Indeed it is. This alone would not make it for me, though. But I also learned something new about assigning glyphs from my deck to specific slots in my skill bar by unlocking the slot. So the ease of combining glyphs with the knowledge that they will always show up in the same couple of slots allows me the flexibility that the deck system was probably intended to provide.

I have my stun attack and my dash in locked spots so I can always go to them when I need to. Then I put all my defensive buffs queued upon each other in unlocked slots on one side, next to my offensive buffs which are also queued upon each other in an unlocked slot. Then all my offensive glyphs are queued upon each other on the other side of my bar each in predictible locations so I don't have to go searching for them. Now, knowing I only have to hold one key while pressing the other lets me rattle off my combos or stack my glyphs with cold efficiency I completely lacked before I made this discovery.

I still think the card deck mechanic is ill-suited to realtime gameplay, but I certainly don't despise it as I had once.

Justice66, Nog and Vladamir Begemot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.