Treasure maps, please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Hi all,

Anyone who played UO could tell you just how incredibly fun treasure maps were.

I'd love to be able to fish up (or even find on occasional mobs) maps which would lead you to a special, out of the way location, where you could dig up a chest and fight the spawn that popped with it. Some of my favorite gaming moments came from UO treasure maps. The loot doesn't have to be fantastic or imbalancing, it's more of a journey than a destination kind of thing.

Just my two copper.

moko, Fei Akhart, Feeyo and 10 others like this.
  2. golruul

golruul Avatar

... and then you open the chest for 12 gold.

Sarcasm/joking aside, devs, if you're going to have a chest that gives 12 gold, just don't put it in there. Seriously. A chest should be elicit a "OMG, a chest!" response rather than the "Bleh, a chest. I have to wait 7(?) seconds to get out of my combat deck and lose my glyphs to get 12-13 gold?"

Sea Bear, Zakka, Feeyo and 6 others like this.
  3. Hellscream

Hellscream Avatar

I made a guild dedicated to treasure/rares hunting, and enjoyed a lot. Really not needed something unbalancing.
    Just imagine a bunch of regs, foods, rusty weapons, especial deco items... Then add SotA features: recipes, chips, artifacts, supply bundles.
    OF COURSE i ain't talking an easy level chest has to have all of this, just a chance on the higher levels

Olthadir and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  4. Tulmar the Barbarian

Tulmar the Barbarian Avatar

I have fond memories about treasure maps!

It would be really fun to repeat that experience also in SotA. :)

5. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

You forgot the precious gemstone fragments! ;)

Olthadir likes this.
  6. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Port could also do like ESO, and make rare maps drop with pictures on them. Find just where the picture indicates and use a shovel!

BAM. Mobs pop with a chest!

7. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Plenty of ideas to work with for treasure chests from a "supply chest" with various resources of the same type (fabric, wood, ore, reagents, gems) or an Obsidian Chest with a small batch of (probably non-gold COTOs), or some of the rarer or COTO based deco items.

However they are created, I think they should have some form of guardian(s) with one of such having the key to the chest. Chest levels of difficulty/reward should also be involved.

That being said, I'm fairly certain that Maps have been mentioned and are likely planned for a later time such as Episode 2 or some future content update. I don't remember an exact statement, but I'm fairly certain they are on The Listâ„¢

Oyjord Hansen and Nikko like this.
  8. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I agree so fully! I think this is a must for a future episode.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  9. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Do some adventuring on Penmawr Island. :D

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ya.... Ive been here 2.5 years now and I have heard "entering a jira" and discussion on for that the whole time. Aint seen it yet, given up hope.

Deadly Habit and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I'm with you @2112Starman I feel the same way about the fishing update. Treasure hunting was not intended for episode 1 at least to my knowledge. I only heard @DarkStarr say they liked the idea of treasure hunting and that they hear that it is a popular idea, but I did not hear a commitment being made to it. Fishing up treasure maps in a message in a bottle is one thing I've always thought would be awesome. Perhaps a quest to get a piece of a map and even a daily quest for map pieces, survey tools, any treasure hunting types of things, etc.

So Fishing on the other hand has been pushed and was suppose to be updated in Episode 1 yet not one single world no matter how many threads on it. We want our update please, more fish, fish food recipes, and much more such as different fish located in different regions and climates and different bait types catch different fish. Also ice fishing for our frozen lakes. :)

And as to treasure hunting could we please get this popular idea as a commitment added to the schedule. @DarkStarr @Berek could you please pass the word. We need hope please for things we have been waiting for. Silence does nothing but makes players lose hope in this game. We want to know what the future holds at least a little. ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Discussion without follow through or results is why there's a lot of cynical people when future features or episodes get brought up.

You'd think fishing would be a matter of some new art, recipes, and locations with 2 already existing systems. There's time for telethon rewards art, why not this?

Then there's brewing...

13. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Not sure why the "given up hope" here... this was never going to be something in E1. I think we all know that. It should happen fairly soon. I'd say if it does not happen in the next two years, I'll be a little concerned. Until then, I see no reason to get impatient and freak out about this, especially given the relatively small size of Portalarium.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Fishing cannot be upgraded until they update all water in the game per Darkstarr.

edited typo

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    SmokerKGB likes this.
  15. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

UO didn't have "copper"....

If you want a "copy" of UO, you can still go and play it, so...

I vote: NO to treasure maps, positively NO...

16. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

I don't see how that would affect adding in new species or recipes as it should be easy enough to add fish to the loot table of the existing fishing spots unless there is some weirdness to the design, but I'm not really holding my breath anymore with fishing overhauls or brewing happening anytime real soon.

Funny you should say that... bag mode too!
    [​IMG]

I mean SotA is billed as being old school as well so I don't get why you'd be so adamant against treasure maps (especially since Pemwar Island already has something incredibly similar and is some of the most fun questing I've had in a group or otherwise in SotA).

17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

2 1/2 years ago there was little talk about "this is not for E1".

Deadly Habit likes this.
  18. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Exactly. The game has been in heavy development for years. It was FAR from a complete game 2.5 years ago. I'd say the beginning of E1 is pretty much right now. (Not 2.5 years ago.) 2.5 years ago was Portalarium trying to flesh out all major game systems. You really couldn't call that Episode anything at that point. I know that many (including myself) have been playing this game for years, but the way I look at it, this is pretty much the very beginning of this game (right now).

The game has rounded a corner, and if we all look forward to the bright future the game will likely have, we might all be pleasantly surprised. I see this game getting much much better over the next 5 years. The potential is enormous.

Jaesun likes this.
  19. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I think one thing to keep in mind is that SotA is NOT UO, and that by and large many players of SotA came from UO at some point or other which makes it easy to expect up to 20 years' worth of content additions to be present in SotA from square 1.

This simply isn't very possible, nor is it proof that said desired content will not make its way into SotA at some point in the future. Even UO didn't start out of the gate with many of the most well-known content and skills. Healing didn't really work, and Fishing was a 50/50 shot to catch a fish... no footwear, no "magic fishes", no Treasure Maps or MIBs until much later.

By all means, continue advocating for great ideas, but understand that the community from Kickstarter forward have given them a GIGANTIC list of ideas and concepts to work through. We'll get there. Plus, the gradual release of new ingame systems, quests, and content will keep people interested. This is something I have to keep reminding myself when I go to a scene that hasn't been fleshed out in terms of content compared to others.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  20. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

The whole persistent and now released states are what tosses both older backers/players and new players for a loop when it comes to this. I keep saying by using commonly accepted terms when it comes to games or even MMOs in general Port has backed themselves into a corner when it comes to reactions.
    For example I don't think many of us had any disillusions what we were getting into when it was beta/Early Access, but I think people at large for "release" and leaving that status were expecting an almost feature complete episode 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.