Are there any post-launch reviews/news stories?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vyrin, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I would normally avoid a thread like this, as I don't want to be involved in any drama - some takeaways I had after reading that article/review:

This reviewer seems a bit hung up on the game missing a map system - I guess they didn't figure out / ask / try to hit "m" for the map - unless they're playing on Linux, which doesn't have map support yet - they could have at least mentioned that, to be fair. I also guess they missed the non-interactive old map items, that you seem to be able to find everywhere (I think I even got one as part of an intro/beginner quest when I started).

They also incorrectly state you need to find 'masters' to level your skills. As most folks know, and I believe the tutorial teaches players, skills can be unlocked at a trainer. You only need to find a 'master' to unlock the higher end (bottom) skills in a tree.

The reviewer also skipped over (or wasn't guided towards) some major aspects to the game, such as the housing system, POTs, crafting , the combat / deck system - not to mention being able to constantly vary your build with a "classless" system.

They also seem really hung up on pointing out money spent - without a fair comparison between what they expect for that amount of money - and what else out there has. It seems they are trying to compare AAA to this semi-indie game

IMHO - what is currently available and delivered is very reasonable for the money spent; a lot has been done with a small budget.

Montaigne and Cordelayne like this.
  2. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

I know the map system wasn't bound to m (or any key) by default for me at all, and resetting my quests and trying the NUE well let's just say it needs a couple more passes.
    The problem with the crafting, housing, and combat/skill system is you're pretty much entirely reliant on 3rd party player resources/videos that cover it besides the one quest to make a leather helmet.
    Spend some time in some twitch streams and you'll see newer players asking about the skill and glyph/combo system, because frankly not everyone comes to these forums or searches through them. They're looking for something to link them in game, not out of it.

3devious likes this.
  3. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

M is actually the default in both Windows and Linux(even though the mapping system doesn't work in Linux yet.) It has been since the mapping system was introduced. There is way too much info/stuff to learn in the game to do an in-game guide for everything. If you go to the www.shroudoftheavar.com, you can find a link to the Player Guide, which explains the important ins/outs of the game, including the Glyph/Combo system.

Echondas likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

We can probably just drop the "yet" part now.

Sorthious and Deadly Habit like this.
  5. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

It wasn't for me. Map wasn't bound to anything, I had to go bind it myself. And to be fair, when bringing up the map it most of the time brings up an empty window that fills in only after you leave it open for a while, sometimes quite a while, that might have been what she experienced. It may be something that happens for those of us outside of America perhaps?

Sidorovich likes this.
  6. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Funny that, because I reinstalled right at release and map was unbound by default for me. What I don't understand is why the player guide can't just be incorporated directly in the game as opposed to having to go out of it, or even incorporate some dev made videos on the systems available in game. It's not a revolutionary idea when it comes to MMOs and a good NUE.

7. Last_Crusader

Last_Crusader Avatar

The lack of reviews seems simply that this isn't (or going to be) a broadly popular game. It's a niche game at best.
    So reviewers aren't going to spend time writing a review on a game that people aren't even interested in (aren't don't even know exist).

8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Guess it was only bound for me. I use Linux, but it was bound upon release. Had to go in and cut it off. There is a link to the player guide in-game. The Help icon in the upper right corner of the game screen has a link to the guide.

9. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Reviews certainly aren't pouring in. I've been keeping my eye out for new ones but it's been slow.

Here's one from an italian site, The Games Machine.

Heads up, its very not good.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Rhiannon likes this.
  11. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I created a new MC account just to do this. I can’t find a place to leave a score. Is it because the account is new?

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

No, you need to create a review under the "User Reviews" tab.

13. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Done

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  14. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Interesting that my review is the one with the highest score as of now. Speaking about me being unfair to the game etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.