Darkstarrs comment on MMORPG - My opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verit

Verit Avatar

My biggest concern reading this is that they are considering making double xp permanent.

I dont mind having a long grind. It spreads the players levels out and makes getting to high level an achievement. Besides, episode 2 is still a long way off.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It is his own particular...
    Concorde: Idiom, Sir?
    Yes Sweet Concorde... Thank you... It is his own particular Idiom.

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I recruit? Where and when? And for what?

I just state my opinion. Is it not welcome to state ones' opinion here?

gtesser and Mykll like this.
  4. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

PVP is and always will be consensual here which is no problem in itself. The problem is the attitude parts of this community developed.
    There are alternatives without any form of PVP, but thats not what was advertised. Again everything they can "steal" from UO and implement here, will overall result in more people playing this game.

The initial idea here was that the game unites different playstyles again. If people leave because they can't stand others to play PVP content... that's just people you might not want to cater to. In fact I'd say creating a community which encourages such behaviour is doomed to stay irrelevant and commercially unviable.

I absolutely think Portalarum thought their initial model of Ultima Collector could work here. But it didn't.
    Travian publishes plenty of PVP games (and its their home turf so to speak), so their experience how to handle PVP and PVP communities is quite good. I am pretty sure we will see more of them here in the future.
    I agree SotA has a unique appeal, as no game got UO PVP right. I'd wish they tried harder to get it here in the past, but I am happy to see they are on the way now.. hopefully its not to late - and afaik there were the first guilds joining here, coming from Mortal Online... which in fact would be the exact UO type of demographic that is associated with this game. Just research it yourself.

Again that doesn't mean any pure PVEer etc has to leave or anything. But they have to understand that most ppl are capable of fighting vs each other online, have fun, rant and see losing as part of improving themselves.

kaeshiva likes this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Both of these statements are tacit pleas to others to join you and your opinion, while implying that anyone that doesn't share your opinion is not sane.

Oyjord Hansen and Hornpipe like this.
  6. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Thats absolutely wrong and your assessments of PVP speaks for itself. You have no numbers to back any of your claims up and now you are personally attacking the OP.
    PVP is the only thing going to ensure people will stay interested in this game. AGAIN check the demographic that the game has. I think you are trapped in a forum bubble ;)

The current small more socially oriented guilds weren't able to do any attract any people to a degree it would ensure this game can be sustained.

That is the reason the change towards more PVP focused content after being totally neglected is coming now. With it purpose to play the game will generate and we will see more people stick to the game... I am also glad to see PVP guilds transitioning into this game.

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Couldn't this be said about positive posts too? To persuade others to like the game?

I hope you are aware of the outside effect this community has. Critical threads get deleted, closed or even completely rewritten. People who criticise the game get bullied. Such behaviour has neven been received very well. But ok, close your eyes to the flaws of the game, how others see the game and what they think of it. [Edited]

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
    Mykll, Pickley, Budner and 1 other person like this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I agree with you - and I don't think anyone's begrudging the PvPers their PvP here. The concern is when it isn't "those people over there PvPing" and it becomes forced upon uninterested parties - that's when people start to have a problem with it.

Merging playstyles is a lovely theory but the reality is never quite so simple - you can't "Merge" a system that allows players to kill each other with a system that forbids it, these are irreconcilable opposites. Typically these things either get separated by server rulesets or specific zones - the latter being the case in Shroud. However when you start to give PvE benefits for being in the PvP scene, you aren't adding value to PvP, you're simply dragging in people who'd prefer not to deal with it - this isn't a merging of playstyles but rather pushing the PvP style on everyone. That's what I mean by it being a slippery slope. As a primarily PvE player, I have no issue with PvP people running around murdering each other to their heart's content. Its when I get interfered with trying to do a quest, or have to take a much longer, more time consuming route to do something to avoid the roving gank parties, that I take issue with it.

Xul Rasha, Chatele and Elwyn like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

My eyes aren't closed. I simply don't believe that the game is as bad as you think it is.

If I held your opinion of the game, I would be gone, leaving those that enjoy it behind to do so in peace. I would certainly not keep coming back over and over again, trying to convince those that remain that there is something wrong with them, and that the surely must be insane to not share my opinion.

Elwyn, Oyjord Hansen and Hornpipe like this.
  10. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

If SOTA fails it will be because too much effort was put into forcing PVP into a PVE based game. Square peg meet round hole. No "real pvper" would play SOTA for it's PVP. I play mostly PVP games but SOTA is my one secret PVE release when I like to relax.

I'm a backer with Crowfall. Those developers tell the community if you want a PVE focused game, play another game. SOTA should be similar, if you want a PVP focused game, play another game.

My metrics are based upon the funding, player population, and comments/experiences from both PVP and PVE players on the forums and in game.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Which basically means creating a bubble in which criticism is not allowed and critics should stay away from. Painting the SotA-world pink and pretending everything is alright.

But, I stated my opinion - although it obviously is not wanted to state an opinion if it is not utterly positive - and I don't think there is any need of discussion anymore. I am expecting this thread to be closed, soon and me getting a ban as I am sure some already reported me (because OPINION!!!) ;)

Xul Rasha and Mykll like this.
  12. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

It only interference when its not part of it. Check how SWG did it in a consensual sandbox. With a large team you might be able to split PVE and PVP and make them itself fun to play in a theme park... But a sandbox works absolutely different.
    Also the devs mentioned already that PVE and PVP will be intertwined, however the mechanics the game has a absolutely underdeveloped. I was honestly expecting that the story would involve much more player interactive parts, where we as players take parts in quests against each other, or on the same side. THAT would have been truly new and interesting. ;)

Unfortunately SotA is only a sandbox for you if you paid a lot of money... That's why the game is not a success... yet (hopefully). More power to guilds and players to actually control the world by means of PVP & PVE. Yes that might mean I can't to something I wanted to do today because the zone is being under attack or something like that... but hey maybe I can sabotage the event by supplying my side of the conflict with goods... then other people can fight buffed and claim it back... Things like that intertwine PVE and PVP... SotA doesn't have anything like that - and that's why it gets boring and feels grindy, because it lacks to purpose behind the PVE or PVP.

If they solve that, critics will get better.

13. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Well I just used google :D The other stuff I did as well but I realized that my circle of friends might not be representative. :p PVP will come anyhow so you can enjoy it here too!

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Not going to wander off topic into issues with Forum Moderation, my opinions of which actually likely align quite closely with yours.

Your statement is an Attack on the Strawman... I've never stated that I don't think people shouldn't complain about what they think is wrong... What I think is wrong is the dramatic wailing and gnashing of teeth... Wall Of Text Rants where others who don't share your opinion are accused of being obviously flawed and not sane. It's the method, not the message.

We get it... We get that you think SotA sucks... We got that 3 years ago... Yet you return time and time again to remind us. To what end?

15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Apparently you have no experience in real PVP games. If you give PVP players tools in a sandbox to influence the gaming environment you get full on griefing and everyone quits. Reference early UO or null and low sec in EVE Online. Your little scenario won't work because I would play both sides and spy, corrupt the supply lines. I would get a guild together and grief people mercilessly denying them entry into the zone until they whined to the Devs. PVE players would leave the game due to griefing and exploiting. PVP players would leave as soon as the easy ganks are gone. SOTA Devs would be posting on Indeed.com.

Cordelayne, Elwyn and kaeshiva like this.
  16. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

To remind them it still bad? And I suppose he can't be entirely wrong.
    Although I would agree it also is bad the he hasn't found a way to work it out with the devs on what can be improved and how. :(

17. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I would call that rhetorical questions and expression of opinion - not recruiting.

Xul Rasha likes this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The point is, the eve 0.0 pvp made for big, player diven empires, influencing the meta game of eve to this very day with epic storys no other game could offer over all those years.
    So ehh...maybe you pick another example instead of a plain wrong one.

Jaws2 likes this.
  19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Not that I tried and made a lot of suggestions over the years. Interesting is that the things Darkstarr admits are not good enough yet in the game are those we talked about for years...

Xul Rasha, Mykll, Jaws2 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

EVE Online, check yourself most people play Hisec ONLY. There is very clear separation and a population to support the divided player base. In nullsec griefing, exploiting, metagaming, cheating, stealing, name calling, offensive language, racism, sexism, perhaps even a bit of bestiality is occurring. Give internet gamers a sandbox with open PVP and you get 4CHAN. Do we want this in SOTA? My EVE example is dead right.

I get accused of personally attacking someone by a "PVPER" here when I said the OP is being dramatic. @Kpopgurl

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    kaeshiva likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.