Darkstarrs comment on MMORPG - My opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Who ever spoke of such a scenario? Those things work perfectly in EVE though and tell me YOU are the one who doesn't seem to have the experience :D
    Again this game is consensual and people can always OPT out as they could in Star Wars Galaxies. In fact that was the much more improved version of UO PVP.

And there could be enough mechanics to prevent you from doing that. Take Age of Wushu, biggest game in China and very big in Asia overall. They got it sorted out.. and you can even be killed anytime anywhere! No full loot though.
    Those problems early UO had have all been solved, it seem thought that some people never followed the development of new games and how they work ;)

Even UO freeshards solved those problems and had very good systems to not disencourage griefing, but instead make it easier for players to fight griefers. Would derail the thread to explain it, fact is all those problems can easily be solved.

I don't expect the new mechanics to be flawless when they get implemented. But I absolutely like that it is on its way. The fact even that we already got better loot now from obsidian golems, and unique items or deco that drops in PVP zones is a good start.

I recall you were the guy asking why the focus shifted to PVP... I know some people who had a laugh at you... and they were pure PVErs.
    But they realize this game needs conflict to wake from its slumber.

amarious likes this.
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You obviously either never played EvE a minute or you got burned in a gate camp on day 4.
    No, your example isn't even remotley correct.
    For example you don't take into account the relation between high, low and null sec.
    You don't take into account that those 3 depend on each other.
    But why should you. It wouldn't further your point.
    But no, no one want's SotA to be like EvE. On that we can at least agree. Though for different reasons but i guess that's not the point.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    amarious and Kpopgurl like this.
  3. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

There is a big difference between complaining on things, giving ideas about solutions and actually put those solutions into the game. If writing the code behind all your ideas was so simple, Ultima 7 (which was released 30 years ago) would be long forgotten and not a model like it has been for Divinity and Shroud. Here you are just trying to imply that you told the developpers how to do their job and that your opinion should have been listened as a divine command. And you hold @DarkStarr words as a proof of that. But the truth is that if you know what some players (like me) are expecting, you have no idea on how to put them into life and you would not be able to say for sure if other ideas should be prioritized on yours or not. So just stay humble please. You are part of the gamers community. You are not the gamers community.

Chatele and Elwyn like this.
  4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

DarkStarr mentions a major overhaul to the UI coming in R55.

On the plus side - great! Much needed. Hope it makes things better.

On the minus side - why after FIVE YEARS is the UI still not good?

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Lets look at the base message of this post. It basically states that all of us players here shouldn't be playing this game because the main poster has some issues with it and those of us playing are all just dumb gamer who should think and believe exactly like them.

I just get tired of social engineers telling me how I should feel about this game and demanding we hate it and not spend our money on it. [Edited]

You are not going to change my mind, I still play this game and enjoy playing this game.

And remember, there is a difference between various random people posting their opinions vs people who have not played this game for years and have waged a social engineering war against it, spending hundreds of hours posting thousands of broadly negative conspiracy theories about the game after searching the internet for thousands of hours on anything negative.

Man... I dont understand how people waist their life waging war on a video game.

There are many things that drive me crazy in this game (I am not happy with PvP or community management). I try to constructively rail on them about that myself to improve those features. But in the end, every weekend, my butt is sitting in this chair playing and enjoying the multitude of other well made and designed features in the game.

you are not going to get me to hate this game

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

What? I was merely making suggestions. I never told anyone how to do their job and I never forced anyone to include my ideas. But as you can see in reviews many of those things we criticized YEARS ago are partly to blame for the negative scores. And even Darkstarr admits those things. So were we wrong? And I say "we" as I was not the only one critcizing those elements.

Mykll likes this.
  7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

My guess is that they were waiting for a high definition photo of a nude @Budner to begin the overhaul of the paperdoll. I'm still skeptical on the attractiveness of such decision.

8. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

This:
    This isn't just an opinion. This is "you're insane if you don't agree with my opinion" or "if you disagree with me you should feel bad about yourself"

I see no reason why you basically replied here to Darkstarr's post from another forum if not to recruit. If you take out the above quotes then it's just a reply to Darkstarr directly. But with the quotes, and being posted here, then yes, this thread only serves to inspire division within this community and recruit people to your negative outlook.

In my opinion this is trolling and that you've gotten away with doing this for so long is beyond me, and has been part of why the population is what it is.

9. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

So you are saying that those things should have been adressed YEARS ago. Then, just with that, you are already telling what would be their planning, what they should have prioritized over other things they did. When, at the office, people tell me that something is more urgent, they tell me how I should organize myself, how I should do my job.

Elwyn and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  10. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

It would certainly help if some of the people who so much love the game try to recruit people into playing it ;)

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Obviously the devs were aware of those things.
    But in the end you see what the outcome is. Bad reviews, negativity, declining player numbers, a negative view on this community from the outside...

But ok, I am the bad guy - again. No problem with that.

Xul Rasha and Mykll like this.
  12. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

You would be surprised by the "Corps" I was in. Frequently, at the same time. I played end game both Industrial and combat in supercaps. I only had to "quit" because of the time commitments and work/family took priority. I still miss the game but RL is vastly superior.

13. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

If that's the case then I guess the best us supporters can do here is to point out that we're offended to hear that we are insane for supporting the project time and time again on our own forum.

14. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

It's great to have you here!

Fister Magee likes this.
  15. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Yep saying that you are offended certainly helps... always :D Again just recruit more people that like the game and the problem solves itself.. If you can't do that, let the devs know why and they might consider what you have to say.. or some people who actually never did something, might accuse you of attacking the game or trolling :p You'll find out.

16. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

There are no bad or good guys. Everything is about the goal you are pursuing and the way you use to reach it. If it's not the same as the one of your interlocutor, it seems normal that no agreement comes at the outcome of the discussion. You come here telling to people who supports this project for years : "Hey do you see how smarter I was ? I saw things that you didn't ! You are striving for a lost cause...". You are wrong. I heard that speech for years now. And you are one of the loudest detractors.

Now I didn't see anyone saying here : "everything is ok". We know the flaws. But we also know that SotA is a special thing. Maybe unlike you, I read the Kickstarter TOS about failures, incomplete features and most of all, I know that devs are humans.

I personaly think they try their best to meet your expectations. But time is money and nobody here would buy NPC dialogues parts or cutscenes on the store. Then, they had to make compromises and they still have to. They just can't offer everything at once. And out of topic assertions about BDO budget on reddit or mmorpg will not change that simple fact.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

1. I don't think that I used the term insane or can you quote me on that?
    2. You really want to tell me that throwing money at a product that is in such a state but is called "released" (and even offers placeholder texts!) is rational behaviour?
    3. You are ok with this becoming common practive in the gaming industry? Charging full price for unfinished products with placeholder text, missing content, lots of bugs etc.? Products that are not supported after release because of some bug-fixing or new content but because they need to be finished AFTER release and were clearly released unfinished (looking at Wild West Online)! Is this where the gaming industry should go?

Mykll likes this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's not up to you to judge.

No. BUT we are in deep. So naturally we want the game to succeed. Too late to make an example out of SotA.

19. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

I have to agree with the Earl here Darkmoon, even though I get your point.
    The guys I ended up playing the game with all say, they play it now until it shuts down... Might as well try to convince the devs to develop features we like.

I can understand how frustrating it is, but I can assure you everything you write to the devs will be read, and yes they answer those msgs occasionally!
    Reading your articles I get that you are a big U7 fan, and most of the people on RAW etc. are in fact singleplayer people who feel betrayed.

But I honestly still believe the story is just not as good as the story in U7 was... and THAT is the main problem. Certainly not one you can easily fix or fix at all?

20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

1) Dont tell me how to spend my money
    2) This has been common practice in the gaming industry and any in fact any software/application since day 1. Its based on a fundamental lack of understanding on software development.

You actually completely miss the real valid issue here, is this new style of allowing players to play your game from the start of development a smart idea. A design where very early on they actually have to make it functional enough for someone to be playing it while they develop it. As exemplified in this thread, it probably doesn't work, most people cant wrap their head around the fact they were playing a game in development which has been my opinion of watching people over the past 2.5 years now.

Elwyn and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.