12 hour raids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drasvar Spiderglum, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drasvar Spiderglum

Drasvar Spiderglum Avatar

I never played UO but played a lot of EQ2 and we used to raid (24 people) every Sunday, starting at 2pm, finishing late into the night, and then have to go back mid week to finish the instance. Those were the best gaming experiences I have had the pleasure to encounter, it was challenging, very time consuming obviously, but was great fun and satisfying when you eventualy managed to complete the dungeon.
    It seems to me that these days gamers only have an attention span of 20 minutes or so, and if they can't get instant gratification it's not worth doing (I'm thing LotRO here, that for example split Helegrod up into much smaller instances).
    What do you guys think? Give us back 12 hour raid instances, or do you like bite sized chunks? Do any of you old fogies miss the all day raids?

Fei Akhart and Ellrynn like this.
  2. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

I actually liked how Lotro made is possible to raid over couple of days and split it. However Lotro was a Theme Park and not a sandbox. Not sure this fits their plans at all and I never saw anything like that on any plan or announcement... not even for EP2.

MrBlight likes this.
  3. amarious

amarious Avatar

I like the idea of it..and back in the days of Ultima Online the guild I was in used to hold
    Harrowers
    http://www.uoguide.com/The_Harrower

and champ spawns
    http://www.uoguide.com/Champion_Spawns

...for hours and hours on end in an all Shard pvp battle for control.

Nowadays though.. I've got a wife and a kiddo.. And if a zone in SotA doesn't have a place for me to hide and go afk I won't farm there (The Rise, Monkey Room)

.. So while I like the idea, personally I don't have the time anymore.

moko likes this.
  4. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

You can do anything you want for 12 hours straight. I think content like that kind of goes against the intent of this game, and I’d really hate to be disappointed with whatever they came up with as a reward for a 12 hour raid. 30 gold instead of 8 gold? lol.

Gregg247 and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I can see that happening eventually, but consider how long after UO release that was. UO took a few years to get many of the things you remember from it, and they had the might of EA behind them.

Not my cuppa though. I generally hated that type of stuff in FFXI because I was always support, not the auto-attacking front line, and it took too much concentration to be healer for more than an hour or two. (My main was not a popular class, but everyone could use a decent white mage.) The exception was when I was making some specific progress like clears or points (points with the game, not with the group; group points are almost as bad as a pyramid scheme) that could apply to gear for my main.

6. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Honestly, seeing the Drama™ and screwy/rigged so-called "reward systems" (i.e. let's have our Core Group of Raiders and then choose the 35/75 other people we need from temps so that we get enough "points" and they never do for the Good Stuff™) made me very anti-Raid in general.

So long as the loot is decent for the Raid but not REQUIRED for a given class or build, or as long as such loot never becomes "Bound" so that maybe I decide to buy off a vendor instead of Raiding,I won't mind Raids in the game even though I doubt I will participate in one. I simply do not have the personal time to devote all at once to such a thing, nor the patience to put up with a crapload of Drama™ for the one major drop that occurs.

Anyone who remembers these five words will know what I mean on the Drama™ side: Pristine Hide of the Beast

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Elwyn likes this.
  7. Thulmor Kingslayer

Thulmor Kingslayer Avatar

The might of EA LMAO? The company that completely and utterly ruined UO after they bought it out you mean? EA isn’t even good at making sports game anymore they all just need to retire and go home.

Derium likes this.
  8. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

EA owned Origin and Ultima LONG before UO came along. Much of Ultima 7 (made a good 6-7 years before UO came out) was one hit after another at EA.

9. golruul

golruul Avatar

I would only be okay with the idea provided you could save your progress (and resume) every 30 minutes or so. But that goes against the nature of a raid, so no thanks.

Sometimes I can fit in a continuous 1-2 hours to play a few times a week, but most of the time I cannot due to real life responsibilities.

The game is already in a niche market, so further restricting that to (a tiny, tiny) set of people that can afford to play continuously for 12 hours straight is a tremendous waste of developer time. Pretty much everything else is higher priority.

Elwyn and Alley Oop like this.
  10. Lace

Lace Avatar

During the times of the Bunny Quest aka April release we ran for about 4-6 hours, folks came in and dropped out and we had a rotating basis for the 'skinning' of the bunny. You can do much the same for some of the dragons and other boss mobs. Some guilds do it internally, some folks like me open it up to the public. Now with LFG, accomplishing things like this is more visible to all without reading the forums and looking for a specific time slot that fits your schedule.

I think if you form a group that says ALL DAY xxxx raid, you will find folks willing to come and go depending on the time of day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.