Plate and chain armor resistances

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by DAKelam1, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

This might be true if you had not significantly changed the function of avoidance a few releases ago preventing (and rightfully so) true 100% avoidance

right now all the in game information still presents avoidance on character sheets in percentages when that is no longer how it works by my understanding of the changes so therefore the small percentage of avoidance you gain from plate versus chain means very little in actual combat

even before the avoidance change the difference was not a significant enough difference to justify plate with the massive amount of fizzle it has

I am not asking for the world or to be unkillable I think myself and others who would prefer to be the big beefy warriors in plate who stand on the front lines protecting our friends would prefer to have a reason to wear said plate

The current state of plate armor is such that the defensive advantages simply are not enough to give up the increased spell casting one can do in chain or a chain/leather mix

Almar, Malimn, Kaffien and 3 others like this.
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I think this sums up the issue in a nutshell currently. It is definitely better than what it was when R53 first dropped, but there is still room for improvement. I have been running around wearing basic bone armor and it is simply the best option given it's low fizzle rate and high DR. I'm sure it would be even better if I invested in the light armor tree, but I am holding off on that because I have hope that they will address the plate issue further.

3. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

Funny fact for R52... when i fought that single elite elven fighter behind the mage room in The Rise i never received a glancing blow, regarding to the combat log. Only block and parry worked for damage reduction. Didnt tried in R53 but maybe someone made the same experience ?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

Still would love a reply even if it's a sorry we hate plate and are doing everything we can to make it a poor choice because regardless of the facts which I openly admit I may be misinterpreting due to very bad clarity and in game information the optics are that you don't care about a group of people and their playstyle in a game that desperately wants to be a classless be anything you want game

TheBalance and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Npc baught gear with no stats

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Side note, I was posting about this like 2 years ago when I moved from plate to chain when I was running a 2H bludge build. Not much has changed since then so I have my doubts you will see any change.

On the flip side, I just posted something a few days ago about the fact that even when I switched from Chain (heavy) with full GM's to leather armor (light) with skills in the 60's, I really didnt see much change at all in the damage I received. So Im currently running leather as an archer and swordsmen.

Baratan likes this.
  7. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Just seems that in seeking balance they have made the middle road too appealing. The two ends of the spectrum heavy/cloth just cant stand up to leather which is the best of both worlds. I suppose combat is easier to standardize if everyone wears the same thing, but sure is boring.

Bigg and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Cloth boosts your focus and spell crit which leather cant do,

Chain and plate get the same stats cuz they use the same materials. They also share the same mw and ench

9. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

You guys are saying that you receive about the same amounts of damage wearing leather, as you do plate. I find that VERY hard to believe. Can anyone actually back this up? I remember ages ago I was using chain, and then I switched to plate and I noticed a HUGE amount of difference as to how may foes I could take on. We need numbers, or videos here. I just don't buy it.

Spinok likes this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

No, they are saying the difference in damage taken when wearing chain or even leather does not make up for the downsides in wearing the heavier armor (i.e., increase in fizzle). Yes, you take less damage in plate, but not significantly so, and you pay a large price by losing the ability to use many spells and other abilities.

Cordelayne and Nikko like this.
  11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Go try for yourself especially now that you probably have significantly more skill in defense.

I just posted something 2-3 days ago with videos. I have GM's in all heavy armor skills, I switched to leather and switched all my buffs to light armor buffs which were at 40 (and all light armor skills at 40) and I saw basically no difference in the amount of damage I took.

Actually, Im streaming trolls right now... In leather gear with significantly less skill in light armor:

https://www.twitch.tv/2112starman

Nikko likes this.
  12. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

Exactly the point is not the damage received or even @EMPstrike showing what can be done with store bought plate

The point is that you take marginally less damage in lesser armor but much greater downsides and also like I pointed out in my first post @Chris claims plate gets more avoidance to make up for equal resistance without referencing the avoidance nerf

Cordelayne and Nikko like this.
  13. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

it depends what you are fighting, Big difference between archers and mages for example... (I play a fire mage) in the monkey room a chain chest is far superior for me, but I go into crags where is the mix of previously mentioned (specifically skelly alley) and I start taking comparable damage again. At least with that setup...

Nikko likes this.
  14. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Depends where you are. Go to the Lich King room in the Rise with leather armor and you will see the difference. Go to the mages room and you can even go naked with a weapon.

Heavy armor, chain or plate, any of those, gives a huuuge physical resistance. And thats good, but right now there is not any good reason to use plate over chain, only if you wont use any spells maybe. I can tank any boss atm ingame with a full chain set.

Spinok, Cordelayne and Nikko like this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

When they get around to physical damage types, im betting you will see plate more resistant to piercing

16. Koss

Koss Avatar

@Chris also talked about 'glancing blows' with plate in the last livestream which is on youtube now for those who want to watch.

17. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Max resist masterworked meteoric plate and chain ( Plate has about 6% more dmg resist and 2% more avoid then chain):

[​IMG]

Almar, Cordelayne, Nikko and 2 others like this.
  18. Curt

Curt Avatar

Once it sounded like they considering separating physical damage in Bludgeon/Slashing/Piercing
    IF they did that would it not make sure that Plate armour was best defence vs Bludgeon damage.

19. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

This is an attempt to model reality where both plate and chains stop blows nearly as well but hits are more likely to glance off plate.

This is a fallacy.

1. A section of plate armor will distribute the force of the blow over a wider area than chain can. This is why we put points on nails and points and sharp edges on stabby things, we are trying to concentrate the force we can exert in the smallest possible foot print. A person in chain that gets hit with a sword blow may not get cut but would experience force in a much more concentrated area (think broken bones) than someone in plate armor (think bruises).
    2. As far as glancing goes, functional plate was designed to deflect where chain was not, thus not only would the force that was exerted on the armor be distributed over a wider surface of the wearer's body but only a fraction of the force would be delivered depending on the angle of deflection. Thus, if avoidance represents deflection, then the "damage resistance" should be applied after the incoming force (damage) is fractionalized. Is this how things are calculated today?

Baratan likes this.
  20. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

I know this he also mentioned it in that missed question reply but again what our character sheets and items show is that avoidance(glancing blows) and previously if you had 95% avoidance you glanced 95% of blows that was changed to some formula that was never explained and the information presented to us the player never updated to reflect true values and even if so the avoidance difference between plate and chain is negligible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.