questions about grouping, and guild recommendations

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Ffred, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ffred

Ffred Avatar

Hey all!

I’ve been playing SotA for about 1.5 months now. Thanks for being such a welcoming and supportive community!

Background:

I’m a pure mage, currently level 67, and can handle parts of tier 5 areas solo and do well helping to clear tier 5 areas like Deep Ravenswood and Ulfheim in a two player (or more) group with a good tank.

I’m at a point where I’m trying to focus on gaining XP and I’m finding that it goes much faster in groups. I only know a few players in SotA and I’m looking for more opportunities to group.

I’ve tried using the new grouping tool without success so far for this purpose. The only groups I’ve seen posted that appear focused on XP are for the monkey room and the Rift. Both I think are way over my head. I tried joining a monkey room group once and died before I could even find where the group was within the scene.

A couple times I spent an evening in Deep Ravenswood with a seeking group setup in the group tool called “Deep Ravenswood” and “Deep Ravenswood - XP” and nobody joined.

Once I tried going to Deep Ravenswood in multi-player mode, hanging around the outer edge where I can handle some of the mobs, and then sending party invites to random players I see. Over the course of an evening, 1 out of 4 accepted, so it sort of worked but I’m hoping there is a better method for finding groups.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have any advice in general on finding groups in SotA, using the grouping tool, etc?

2) Does anyone know which guilds would be good to check out considering my primary goal of grouping for XP runs? A guild that also offers access to a commission free vendor would be awesome too :)

I’ve never joined a guild in any game before, this would be my first time.

Thanks much for any advice anyone has!

Graemalkyn and Synergy Blaize like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Sorry Ffred you are not having good luck with the new group finder. Did you try making your own group that others could join? I often group with OOC which is a really nice guild @Luca Xante. They have a lot of members and do lots of fun things. Also renting a place in Wizards Rest is always free and that makes you a town resident. I always give access to a commission free vendor here. I am btw reading these forums and hearing others say they are wanting to group so make your own group and get to know others and joining a guild could really help you and you know I am around too ;) . Best wishes.

Graemalkyn, Alioth, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  3. Ffred

Ffred Avatar

Hi Majoria!

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out OOC.

As to creating my own group. I've tried that several times. Since I'm looking for an XP group, I tried creating one with the title "Deep Ravenswood" and "Deep Ravenswood XP". I advertised the group on three occasions for an evening with no takers. Suggestions welcome on ways to alter my approach when creating a group.

My assumption has been that the group tool doesn't have enough traffic yet or those who want to group aren't looking for an XP grinding group, except the very top tier of players who are focused on the Rift and the monkey room. I'm going to keep trying, just starting to think I need to pursue other options too.

Thanks for mentioning Wizard's rest. Can I be a resident of two places? I already rent a cottage elsewhere which I'd like to keep, but if you're 0ffering, I'd be interested in renting at Wizard's rest too.

Berek and Luca Xante like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

ok lets @Berek to advertise it more in game. Some may not know how easy it is to access even though they did a livestream on how to do it recently but players who don't watch the forums or info here will not hear of these things. In game education is very important. I imagine Luca will contact you too. He is wonderful but I could be biased ;)

Berek likes this.
  5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hi @Ffred! The LFG tool is indeed new, so players are still getting used to how to find it and what it's used for. Traffic and interest in groups here will certainly pick up over time.

The title's you've created are great, a solid start. As long as they are short and you have a call-to-action of some sort, hopefully you'll get interest then. "XP in Deep Ravenswood!" or "Explore with me Deep Ravenswood!" etc.

Jaesun, Ffred and majoria70 like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok I just checked in game. No one is using the Looking for group to form their groups. This is not helping imo. Now if when forming a group it could pop up make group private or public perhaps more would open up their groups to the public. Perhaps this is a discussion we could have to make more groups show up for others to join. What does everyone think? @Berek

@Berek Can we please ask this question? We have a wonderful new system to connect the world and others are not using it. Something is missing maybe.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Berek and Ffred like this.
  7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Yes, please ask! The system is new, so we want to know what's working, and not working... not just the technical side, but how useful it is to everyone through natural use.

CrandalltheFoole and Ffred like this.
  8. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Looking for group is exactly what it is.

I'm LOOKING ... Not Hey i'm inviting my friends and I want that group listed.

If i'm inviting you to MY group I don't want or need to have to go thru the interface and have my group listed if i'm creating a group of people I want to invite.
    And this is what many people do.

Looking for group was something that some folks wanted but now they have it do not use it.

I haven't seen over 5 groups since it was installed personally.

My 2 Cents

Laz

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

ok fine I was just asking. I just thought perhaps some were forgetting they could offer their parties to others when they have room and don't mind.

I was not trying to interfere with anyone's options. I would not want to do that. So I just asked that we remember we have the system and that there are players out there who think no one is around. This game has a bad reputation for no players or few players to play with.

I just ask that we let them know we are here sometimes. I make groups all the time that are just a few of us and any new players or not new players would be more than welcome in many of those groups. I understand there are times when our groups are reserved for certain players. So you answered the user interface opinion and no worries. I was just thinking out loud.

Ffred likes this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It's new, I often forget it exists. I should start putting a "Factorium crafting for XP and Profit" group up on there but have done so zero times so far.

Someday soon I'll remember!

Jaesun likes this.
  11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

If you don’t meet your group at the entrance of K’rul and can’t make it to the monkey room alone without dying, just use the in-game map to find your way there as a ghost. Once you join your group at the room, you’ll quickly get the experience you lost from the death back.

There are numerous great guilds that go adventuring in groups on a regular basis. The Moongate Travelers is one such, and we have chapter houses in several towns and commission-free vendors in Owl’s Head and Ardoris. There may be others, but those are the ones I use. Groups are usually formed through guild chat or through our Discord channel.

SotA is the first game I have ever played online, and I don’t think I would have enjoyed it (or survived) if I didn’t have the social network and help that my guild provides. I definitely recommend that new players shop around for a guild that suits them.

Beaumaris, Ffred and Jaesun like this.
  12. Ffred

Ffred Avatar

Thanks for the information on guilds and on the monkey room!

That is a great idea to just navigate to the monkey room as a ghost. I assume I'd be resurrecting without an ankh and take a stats penalty, but with the group would probably be okay.

I don't actually know where the monkey room is inside K'rul. I see some videos online but they all start in the monkey room. Do you know of any maps or online descriptions showing it's location?

13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I don't know of any map outside the game, but maybe someone else does. I wish I had made a screenshot of the in-game map the only time I went there as a ghost. (The other two times I followed someone in and didn't pay attention to where I was going.) All I remember is that it was a large square room on the map.

14. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

@Ffred feel free to add my toon Killing Joke to your friends list, I fear we maybe in different time zones but if I'm about and you want someone to hunt with then I am happy to add you and help you with areas you want to XP in as I / we go there all the time and by lvl 75 dependent on your build and deck selection you can at least solo the mage room in the Rise np (some will say earlier / others later).

Re guilds, lots out and about but seeing as you've stated you've never joined one, my suggestion would be to hold off joining one straight away and instead go out hunting with folks and see if they are as much the right fit for you as you maybe for them, just don't feel pressured to join and equally if you join one and it's not right just tell whoever recruited you and leave on a good note as guilds and especially their members do come and go as RL or the 'next game' comes along. Just don't be seduced by pretty websites or adverts, it's the people that matter IMHO.

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

This K'rull area does have a map which is not always the case.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  16. Ffred

Ffred Avatar

Thanks for the information and the offer to group! I'll send you a friend request when I'm in-game later today.

17. Ffred

Ffred Avatar

@Kara Brae thanks again for your suggestion to ghost over to the Monkey room. It worked out great.

For anyone else who find this thread looking for the Monkey Room location, here is what I learned:

After you teleport to to somebody in K’rul, you should see 3 large rooms at the top of the map. In my case, the party was in the rightmost room. However, I ended up in the middle room first which also spawns monkeys. I’m not sure if the XP groups are always in the rightmost room or if sometimes they go to the middle room.

That said, I had to go through the middle room to get to the rightmost room anyway, so it should be apparent if the group is in the middle room if you resurrect at its ankh. I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think I could see the other party members until I resurrected.

Kara Brae likes this.
  18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

@Ffred Glad you are enjoying the game! You can add me ingame : "Marcus Deadshot" and hit me up when you wanna go do xp farming. Most times I'm available, and I won't have any issues letting you know if I'm busy with something else.

As for guilds, What I would recommend is to try group hunting with people and if they seem fun, consider joining their guild! I for one fell in love after a whole week of PvE events (Rise, Control points, Dragon hunting, and Ullr) all in the same week, and that's what got me to Join Gardiens du Lys. I had tried two guild previously, 1st one I joined because I was following my father who got me the game, and the group is mostly "Older ones" (no offense directed at you guys) which meant I was always eager to do stuff and talk, meanwhile they were more laidback and discreet, which made me totally not fit in. the 2nd guild was simply too small and blew up a few times before I decided I needed to look somewhere else. Basically what I mean is, a good idea is to look at the bigger picture, and don't only join a guild because of 1 person. Try to see if the guild does the same things you want to do, otherwise you will simply end up feeling alone with an extra chatroom instead of being part of a guild!

Ffred likes this.
  19. Ffred

Ffred Avatar

Sounds like great advice, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.