Game reviews are well challanged to be nice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olddog, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

POT Row Lot Deeds. There needs to be an in-game quest or some way to get one of them per account without delving into RMT. This is coming from someone with a Town Size Lot Deed. Players need to get hooked on the housing gameplay and they can't do that if they can't experience it.
    There are more than enough open row lots out there. The 500 G upkeep will ensure that the lots aren't kept by non players.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

People don't typically work 24/7 and Portalarium usually takes the weekend off. However, if you want to believe that they didn't patch on the weekend because of some trivial event then that's on you.

Witcheypoo and Elwyn like this.
  3. Gix

Gix Avatar

Being at the whims of another player is not particularly attractive to some folks... so I don’t believe players renting space or going to a player owned town is much of a solution to the space problem. The game needs a safety net. People interested in player interaction and community can move to player owned towns and leave the other lots available for other players (hence why I suggested the 1-lot per account limit).

With that said, I don’t think limited space is that big of a deal but @Aetrion was wondering about solutions other than merely instancing houses.

Portalarium wants real estate to matter but doesn’t have any solutions for the players at the bottom of the proverbial food chain. That’s just one of the many, many issues this game has in the eyes of the general public.

Jayde, Sol Stormlin, Salix and 2 others like this.
  4. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

This. I've been espousing this for a while now.

Port needs to starting acting like a pusher and get those noobs hooked!

Sol Stormlin, Witcheypoo and Baratan like this.
  5. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

One thing that I think could help boost the feel of a big community is if when going to towns or Novia, if everyone was lumped into the same world. Let the party/private mode only apply to dungeons and non-town instances.

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The POSSIBLE issue with doing this is.... $45 dollar account and you can work to get a deed from a quest at $100 dollar value in cotos. Whats to stop someone from having an alt account, making a character, getting the deed, deleting the character, making a new character, getting the deed, delete, repeatedly.

Xee and Elwyn like this.
  7. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Make it no trade, one per account.

I don't know if you understand this or not but a lot of people play games for fun and entertainment and don't necessarily want to do 300,000 gold worth of in-game "work" to enjoy a primary gameplay component.

8. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I feel like real estate could be improved if it worked a bit more like Eve Online where factory rental starts going up if there are no open slots left. Like, as long as there are open lots the rent should drop every month, to an extremely low rate, but if all the lots are filled it starts slowly rising. That way living in central Brittany is very expensive, just like living in New York would be in real life, but if you're out in the boonies somewhere you can live there for practically free.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I agree that something like this should be done but what about those that purchased deeds from the add-on store or with COTOs? Don't you think that they'll feel a bit cheated?

[edit] Perhaps finishing the main quest-line would also grant each player a certificate that would allow them to purchase a row deed for say 250k gold?

idaniod likes this.
  10. Derium

Derium Avatar

I just want to log in and think "what would I like to do today?" After All, my gaming time is my leisure time to relax and enjoy myself.

However the reason I no longer log into SotA is because my thought is always "where am I supposed to grind today?". I still check the forums daily and keep a close on on this game, because I still have hopes they will scrap their current system and remake it.

If this game was on rails, I'd accept that (I'm frothing at the mouth for WoW Classic). But this is supposed to be a box full of sand.

It hurts my heart to say this, but Conan Exiles feels more like UO than SotA does right now.

Salix, Leostemplar, MrBlight and 2 others like this.
  11. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I don't know. There's always new ways to get things added to the game. The purchased ones are still trade-able and allow having multiple copies of them. The newbie one is one per account, no trade. Like I said, I wouldnt be mad if more people were able to enjoy the game just for the sake of keeping it exclusive. :p

Witcheypoo, Leostemplar and Barugon like this.
  12. Almar

Almar Avatar

I'm only going to focus on the dance party thing here - I could go on forever with the rest of the stuff...

For me, dance parties are just not fun. It's not immersive nor is it core to the fiction around the game. On UO/Europa there was a 'night club' called Big Mamma's - it was a player run 'dance' club - that was fine. And very well organised.

Pushing this thing now as a game 'feature' is nonsense.

I understand the need for stress testing zones, but how about an undead raid on a town or a troll invasion? We had dragons, that was fun - no loot or XP though.... that needs fixed. Loot has to happen. along with +/- XP for kills and deaths.

Give us something for goodness sake, rather than more sh*te dance emotes.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  13. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Yea, I kind of feel the same way about the party scene in the game. I mean, I don't want to crap on people who enjoy that kind of thing, more power to them, but I'm a huge nerd, given the choice between going to a party and a game of D&D I'll pick the dungeon run every time, so it's a little weird when a fantasy game is more about dance parties than adventures.

14. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Well said Nikko, and happy to see some players understood the system.

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If there would be some kind of default or instanced housing for absolutely new characters, I think it would need some strong restrictions. First of all, if it's just an instanced thing equivalent to how basements work in party mode, it should be accessible from a single city ONLY. No magic roving Tardis thing where you can get to your stuff from any inn. But of course the player should get to choose which town. If you want to move, you have to take everything out (I guess it could dump into that town's bank) and schlep it over to the new place. There should also be item limits lower than a row lot. I think there should also be some way to let friends follow you in so they can at least see your stuff. Naturally it would be preserved over character re-rolls just like the bank and regular housing. One big thing is it would make the bank limits kind of irrelevant. Who needs bank storage when you can drop 300 things into a chest and you can only get to it from one place anyhow?

I still think it's really just a case of "Gimme dat! All the other games have it, why not you too?" There needs to be a game or two where everything isn't trivial to acquire, and I think sub-letting (which already works, though it could use a few more features) is a much much better way to do things.

Got to agree here. When I do show up for them, I basically go AFK in a corner with a dance emote going, then tune in Avatar's Radio on my iTunes (easier for me than the in-game streaming, and probably better audio), then do some internets, maybe the forums, maybe just general webbing. If there's a livestream, I'll be watching that.

HoustonDragon and Almar like this.
  16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

AHh yes that would work. And yes I do understand many people play for fun, I am one of them, but you also must understand that some players are out to make as much as they can as well.

It takes me over 160 mil exp to gain a level now, I'm 126 base. Its a month of hardcore grind or more if I'm not going hard to get a level.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  17. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I look at posts requesting instanced housing and just want to scream. Housing is the most useless game feature ever. The only use it has to me is the expanded storage. I laugh that the same people who complain that dance parties are not a real gameplay feature and will turn around and act like housing is serious business. After I recover from the shock that someone could unwittingly be so dense as to overlook the concept that housing is as much of a rubbish feature as the dance parties and both have the utility of being a medieval SecondLife, oh, now your hackles get raised? GTFO. The only real utility housing has is storage.
    Hell, bin it all together as it is a huge source of lag and such a cause of QQing that I will donate to any campaign to just get rid of it.
    I was a charter member of SecondLife which will always have a special place in my heart but to burden new players with that nonsense would ruin everything. Allow players a bank slot in every POT. Just one. If that is too big of a burden to make this happen I really backed the wrong project.

Salix, Elwyn and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The only difference a higher adv level gives you’re character in this game is increased health and focus. It does not affect your damage or hit chance or anything like that.

And the difference between lvl 1 and lvl 140 is less than 500 health.

The highest player health i saw was 1400ish, which means not even 1/4 of that came from adv level

19. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I thought the difference in AL determined your chances of striking a blow. I understand there is some crazy Atos factor on scoring a hit on another player but that is a different rant, right?

Salix, Ryodin Stormwind and MrBlight like this.
  20. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

This isn't true.

Salix, Nikko, Leostemplar and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.