The difference between lvl 1 and 145, and why its not a super huge deal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

The way it needs to be looked at, is that every level comes from gaining a certain amount of experience that you in turn invest in skills. Experience gained is how one raises adventure levels.

cobran and Leostemplar like this.
  2. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

You have to look at how he set up his test though. You're 100% right than in almost any normal application there's an extremely high correlation between experience gained and corresponding skill levels.

What was done, however, was tweaking skill levels in the offline mode to remove this bias and observe which parameter actually made the noticeable difference. As shown in this vacuum situation that is impossible to replicate in actual practice, Adventure Level didn't mean anything on it's own.

The application of this, then, is that it makes sense to spend your experience leveling a few skills up really high as that is what is going to constitute an advantage in combat, not the adventure level itself. Hopefully I explained the ramifications of this test and the actual point behind what it means.

3. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

I would sugest a test like this in reverse - get the same skills and gear, then edit just the adventure level - try stuff like 1, 40, 80, 100.
    I know I should see the video first, but from my experience adv level plays a big role on my defenses - it could be just an impression, maybe this is the very notion you are trying to dispel, but I still think that keeping the adv lvl as the only variavle in the test will make it easier to work out.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I've never really understood the +adventure level items myself, I thought perhaps being over lvl 100 I just didn't see any benefit from 5 levels plus or minus since it didn't modify any of my skills or gear. I've tried using the blessing/civility neck to modify it by +/- 10 and seen no difference in my capability but a larger variance is a better test.

When + adventure level items were still added, level had a much more significant effect on health/focus. This was nerfed significantly a while back, so that adventure level does very very little, even for health or focus.
    I've heard the "but if it makes it go from orange to yellow its easier to hit" argument, though feel like its a bit of confirmation bias as I've never noticed it matter or not matter.

Interesting data, Arkah, from which I'd conclude that level doesn't really do anything other than a pretty negligible health/focus bonus. I'd be interested to see just how negligible, all other things being equal, how much HP/Focus is actually gained per adventure level and are there diminishing returns? Could you figure that out doing whatever you're doing to edit the files? I know you start with a couple hundred HP but strength stat would effect it. Interested in the clean numbers, anyone have a table maybe?

Witcheypoo likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

That is the video i posted in the OP. It plays a role in your defenses because it increasesyour health and focus.

The video is showing that health and focus is the only thing adv level gives you. Its still widely believed that it affects your hit chance. It used to a while back, but no longer does

Matt Harris, algumacoisaqq and Lesni like this.
  6. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

After some testing and further reviewing the video. I think the information you have provided is a 1st step in understanding what AL does and does not do, however I and a few others did some testing and think there is more going on, and AL has more value than just a few HP/Focus.

I am not arguing against your conclusion, just that the information s incomplete and our testing showed AL, providing an unknown larger benefit

Boris Mondragon and FrostII like this.
  7. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; I appreciate the time and effort you put into the video and completely agree on stats/buffs/gear and it’s impact on damage output.

I am at adv level 109 and have been farming the same area for months due to its profitability. Str normally at 200 does provides quick kills and when using all buffs, str potion and zerker stance breaks 300 it is fun to watch doing 1200 pt coup dmg on crits.

I do disagree on the adv level only affecting HP and Focus though. I can tell you from personal experience that in this same zone 20 levels ago I was getting hit more often and having my attacks dodged more often unless this was directly affected by my skill level (140 vs 120 bladed combat) though I thought that would only affect blade related damage.

8. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

Oh, sorry, I was at work, couldnt watch the video... and Im at work again, but I apreciate the effort of testing this.
    Reason why we take the conclusion with a grain of salt is that there is some pevious formula where aventurer lvl played a role in critical chance. But as you said, ot may no longer be the case. Perhaps I'll test vs a dummy some day, but chances are I'll just forget about it.

9. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

This is the kind of mystery stuff that is driving people away from the game. Skill descriptions not being entirely accurate. Having hidden bonuses, or doing things other than what the skill actually says it does. Having descriptions or titles that are very ambiguous. Portalarium desperately needs to spend time fixing the different texts in the game to be consistent and complete. Perhaps the bladed combat skill is accurate, but I know others are not. There's all sorts of mystery involved in trying to read the skill descriptions and understand what they actually mean. This has to change. Players shouldn't need to modify offline game files to get answers. The UI should provide it.

The whole premise of this thread is a testament to just how bad SotA's interface is...

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Just to reference, this change to hit chance is more recent. Hit/miss chance no longer exists as of the release that dodge/block/parry were made to no longer be percentages. Before that, hit chance existed and was reduced if a target was 40 levels higher than you. After the change, everyone's "hit chance" globally improved especially with higher dex, as dex became the thing that determines if soemthign dodges you or not.

If within those 20 levels, this change occured, then you would notice a difference.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I thought stats/power weren't supposed to be gear-based? Wasn't that like a guiding tenet of SotA for like four years?

12. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Take this with a grain of salt, or in our case a giant iceberg sized one, but WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back Chris made mention that in the calculation for hitting things, your main weapon skill (blades) replaced the adventure level # for the calculation. This combined with Dex is probably even more prominent now for hitting stuff. At the very least the notion fits well with Arkah's empirical evidence. Sadly we'll never know unless you religiously watch all the tech deep dives lol...

13. Koss

Koss Avatar

Huh?

14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

There is a devotional buff that gives +4 to adventure level (I am AL 83). I recently tried it out for the first time instead of the taking my usual health buff, and I was able to clear 2 catapults for the first time ever in a forest siege (died a lot though doing it) using only magic. I decided to stick with the AL buff in the future. So was I only imagining that it was better?

Duke Gréagóir and Sorthious like this.
  15. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I asked the same question for the next livestream, so hopefully it will be answered - which is more important, DEX or weapon skill level (Bladed Combat) for chance to hit.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Trihugger likes this.
  16. belijaal

belijaal Avatar

I doubt you were only imagining it. I still run alvl buffs in most situations, I even use 2 alvl buffs right now. It is my perception that it still has a big impact on many aspects of the game.

This game has a long history of purposely leaving players in the dark on core mechanics. You occasionally get some vague information about changes that happened or were supposed to happen. If those changes were actually implemented are they working as intended or are they possibly broken?

The sad truth is we know nothing for certain.

17. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

The video proves nothing TBH.

Sorthious and Yipp like this.
  18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Can you also add strength to weapon skill level and dex question. I have noticed the difference when using bezerker stance at 120 which gives me a plus 45 strength buff for a minute producing 25 percent or higher swords damage. I have not paid too much attention to dex and instead concentrated on maximum continuous damage output. I am glad this thread was started so we can get clarification for all us that follow the path of the blade.

19. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Can someone direct me to the post or video where this change is detailed? I here speculation as to the change, but haven't seen any documentation that details the change. I'm not saying it didn't happen but, if I remove all my Adv Lvl buffs it seems I have a much harder time, in certain areas. The Rise gets much harder for me without my Adv Lvl buffs. I'm Adv 108 right now, 122 with buffs/gear. It could be just a perception issue on my part, but I would like to at least see where it is written that Hit Chance(offensive/defensive) has changed.

20. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

@Sorthious As a guild we did some limited testing (sparked by the video) and stopped after coming to two conclusions;
    1. There are more benefits occurring with Adventure Level "AL" than just a few Health and Focus as @EMPstrike suggests.
    2. There is no practical way to figure out what exactly is occurring.

To figure out what AL actually does, we would need to know not just player information, but target information as well. Some mobs may treat a players AL differently than others, just as some ignore (or take less into account) certain player abilities.

Our conclusions were in very limited testing (hours spent across several accounts with different equipment and skill setups) that there is more going on, however can offer neither proof of this as fact, nor can we rule out our error, and @EMPstrike being correct in his assumptions.

Sorthious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.