Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Mobs should match the Tier

Discussion in 'Release 54 Feedback Forum' started by PeteWi The Disoriented, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeteWi The Disoriented

PeteWi The Disoriented Avatar

I wanted to put in I'm not a fan of the new trend to add higher level creatures to the lower level areas. It seems marking an area as Tier 2 or 3 only counts for the first yards near the entrance. Past that, the mobs don't match the scene.

Exploring a low level area only to encounter combatants with 2 or 3 times the HP, or stumble on a Reaper, or get swarmed by a band of Lich doesn't make sense. There are plenty of Tier 5 areas and Control Points that offer this experience for those looking to test their mettle. Doing this same thing to the Tier 2 and 3 areas is discouraging and makes the skull ratings meaningless.

This same practice has not been an enhancement to the random encounters, which used to be pretty good.

Kain Darkmoor, Arianna, Ronni and 7 others like this.
  2. coffeeislife

coffeeislife Avatar

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think this behavior is fine, if the tier indicator would reflect the enemies nearby. Just having a single indicator for the scene is quite misleading.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If I recall correctly, the Tier Rating is only a suggestion.

You will however need to go in and explore and find out for yourself how it really is....

I would however (except for Tier 1-2 areas) never ever ever want to see an entire area of creatures all the exact same tier level. That would be utterly boring. A nice mix of things at around the same tier and higher is always good.

Elwyn and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  5. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

If people who can tank 2 ancient dragons have to leave zone or get killed in T2 encounters something is fishy. Why not just do away with this misleading labeling?

6. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

You could do it offcourse in an someway sensible way with levels raising gradually, or the real hardcore stuff with an few skeletons around with broken spears and swords decotrated, something the average human beeing sees and thinks " could be something that has me for breakfeast easily back there.

I mean, I have seen a cave, a few skeletons and an bunny (white) so i hightailed.

Stuff that makes your alarms go red and such.

Not "surprise!" <one hit instadeath>

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I can’t tank ANY dragons, as a matter of fact they run for their favorite bottle of sauce when they see me, and I haven’t had a problem with these scenes (AL 79 atm).

Elwyn, Nog and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  8. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

You need to be prepared to an degree (deck and so on)
    If you do not read the update log and wander into an place you think you know contains some Tier 2 stuff and then liches pop up....

Roycestein Kaelstrom and zyxe like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We have a new concept that just started to get used this release. Things will be marked as Tier 1-10 (for roughly levels 10-100) and if they have exceptional challenges in them, like liches in a low level area, they will be marked as plus. This roughly equates to a party of people at the target level but likely not solo. Ravensmoor was marked 8+ for this release as an example. It is aimed at players in the 70-90 range but you'll likely need a party of people that level to complete it.

10. Koss

Koss Avatar

I like the hidden surprises in zones. If you dont like the mobs, simply run away and fight in a different area of the map.

Lets see what chris has in store.

11. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Dude.... sol sewers, daemon in an (formerly) Tier 1 zone.

Keep that in mind.

Now tell me about running.....

After we all stopped laughing hard we get to discuss such stuff again (I mean Tier 1, daemon, a zone that will be visited by clueless newbies, who are used that they are playing in an "kill the rats to earn your rusty sword" enviroment. Daemon. Inside this Tier 1 zone. For bloody newbies. Really? Running?????

Most stuff of that type runs faster than an cheetah on steroids. Or summons. Or shoots friggin lazorbeams from its eyes.

Or all three above at once, while stomping you with 400 damage.

There are critters in low level zones that WAY outlevel the average intended user of the zone, and quite often not placed in ways that screams "DANGER"

12. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Especially with road encounters, they should scale.
    Close to the newbie areas challenging but doable for solo players up to level 30 (solo because how often do groups travel together and then they are still not drawn all into the encounter but only one person)

Around high level content areas soloable for maybe 60-70ish adv level players, challenging but possible.

Travelling should have its dangers but should not be an chore.

I loved EQ to bits but it pissed me off royally that i was never really able to enjoy the "for its time" really cool graphics in many zones because critters there where an constant danger for anyone not sharp.

Keep it so that there is an point visiting encounters, I mean, mining ore while an liche breathes down your neck? Risk and reward and all that, and do not get smart now and place liches into mines so we need an 8 player group to go mining....

Ronni and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  13. Trevour

Trevour Avatar

I like the concept. It should make the game more fun and engaging. I do not recall the release notes explaining the goal state.

14. Koss

Koss Avatar

I like the concept as well..

@Pounce Really dude?? The Sol Sewers was the first dungeon I went into when I first started. Saw the Daemon, ran in, got hit once, saw the damage and left.

Was the mobs name red? Yes.
    Did I try it out? Yes.
    Did I leave? Yes.
    Did the Daemon aggro me very far out of the room? No.
    Did I learn a lesson? Yes.

I played Eq1 as well. Did i whine about the trains and other things? No.

It was part of the game. Entitlement these days.. ;)

Freakin grow a pair.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Is the daemon still in there? I Did the Ichor witch thing, and I was going to try out the daemon as well (I hadn't tried in about 10-15 levels, so I wanted to see how that would go now) but I couldn't find him.

16. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Should the road encounters near Soltown really be groups of Lichs though?

17. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

The forum was full of "We need more group content". I thing this is the answer.
    If i understood chris right the new markers are showing you if this is a solo zone or a mixed zone (solo and group). Tier 3 means solo starting with level 30 and Tier 3+ partly solo starting with level 30 and partly group content for level 30 groups.
    The ones that want group content may seek for + zones in the future. Others may be more careful if they hunt in + zones alone.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Dhanas like this.
  18. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Nothing to do with entitlement, just with giving hints that there is somethign exeptional (insta death out of the blue is pretty pointless.
    For the other thing, that would be weird in an purely biological way

19. Nightsong

Nightsong Avatar

Or at times a Dragon, who turbo races towards you & kills you in one hit.
    Then rez-kills you at the ankh unless you run like mad, the moment you stand up?
    I admit, I haven't seen a dragon yet in this new release, but came across this mis-adventure a few times in a Tier 2 Road encounter prior to R54.

Jaesun and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I get that they're trying to make the road encounters less a waste of time and just annoying load screens. This helps a bit, I guess. I still think I'll do everything I can to avoid them and if pulled in, run immediately out, like I've been doing for the last 18 months, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.