Bug? Several Attacks Mysteriously Not Hitting Enemy

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Nog, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nog

Nog Avatar

I don't want to file this as a bug if I'm somewhat unsure what is happening. In two separate fights with yellow skeletons at Deep Ravenswood I found a long string of my attacks were not hitting a lich warrior, in one case, and hardened skeleton warrior in the other. Note I'm level 70+ melee so handle these enemies pretty easily normally.

Basic attacks may have been hitting for minimal damage but a string of several melee glyphs did no damage as if not hitting. I'm pretty sure that I did not legitimately "miss" like 6-7 attacks in a row with 0 landed glyph hits in between!

I'm entertaining it is *possible* there is some huge debuff I'm unaware of - though it strikes me as the game not registering something correctly. I was very close to the enemy so it wasn't a case of being out of reach.

Does anyone have any insight on what might be happening here with all the misses/no damage done? I wouldn't be eager to randomly run into this problem again when more was at stake. (Sadly I didn't think to check the combat log until it was too late to find the combat lines, but I thought the oddness would be explainable by someone who has run into this.) Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I have it often in all ravenwoods that the game assumes you are on an unreachable patform and negates your damage while standing on even ground, with bears sometimes i have to literally stand inside the bear to do damage, maybe something like that (its something i found to be special in ravenwoods, no idea if that is your problem)

I considerd it highly ironic with me using bows that i have to go kinda below melee distance to hit them.

Baratan and Nog like this.
  3. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

I experienced the same issue where my attacks did not seem to register on a hardened skeleton footman in Etceter Crag Mines. It turned out that the mob was near the wall and somehow was under cover. I had to make the mob move a bit off from its original location in order for my melee hits with 2h sword to register. In the process of adjusting the mobs position i noticed a string of sequential 'cover' messages from popup ui damage indicators. Thats how i noticed the skeleton was under cover. In all my previous entries into the mines, i had not experienced this before. Until today.

4. Nog

Nog Avatar

Thanks for the suggestions P and P. Those both seem to me like likely possibilities I hadn't considered.

5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

This is an old issue. Before it would print in your log something like 'Target Unreachable', when you couldn't hit a certain target. Now, it tells you nothing, it just prints Zeroes over your targets head. There are times the Zeroes happen though when it shouldn't. Was attacking Elves in The Rise in a room with an even floor, and bunk beads. Casted Meteors and the whole room erupted with a shower of zeroes. I come back later and can hit them again.

Nog likes this.
  6. HuntedHunt

HuntedHunt Avatar

It seems to be timed for a while after being in an 'unreachable' location too. I find myself unreachable when running near certain rocks or walls or falling down a ledge or jumping over a box, then my next 3 charged attacks do zero damage all while the enemies are free to kill my summon and start mauling me.
    Last I checked, it did still say you're 'out of reach' in the combat log though.

Nog and Sorthious like this.
  7. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

If its not the wall, platform or out of reach issue, I'm stating the obvious, but being in weapon range still catches me out, but these days I tend to spot it quite quickly if I'm paying attention.

As a melee player, a knock back or small movement by the mob puts my sword out of range and its very hard to notice from the animations as my guy keeps swinging and there is no obvious weapon contact anim. What is obvious is that the mob health stops dropping and can recover.

As I use Body Slam a lot, this helps ensure I'm always in sword range.

8. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Most games have some sort of info that your target is out of range, so coding that seems not that complicated to me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.