Best way to maximize producer XP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock Avatar

I would do it if I had the gold, the time and more cornea on my forefinger

Mishras likes this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And clicking.....and clicking....and clicking....and clicking......and clicking.........................and.........................clicking....................................................................
    Oops sorry.... fell asleep...
    And clicking.....and clicking....and clicking....and clicking......and clicking.........................and.........................clicking....................................................................

Mishras likes this.
  3. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

It adds to the gameplay. No complaints here! I prefer not to try and min/max stuff, though. It feels lame.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  4. Godra

Godra Avatar

I must be lost then. Isn’t the whole point to craft and gain skills in said craft? Why turn off skills to build pooled XP? That’s what I cannot wrap my head around. It’s seems to me you have to craft items or components to build pooled XP so you can turn around and craft again just to get the skill gains.

I have been trying to find right place to gain Adventure XP and just can’t seem to skill gain either and that’s even with double XP. It’s like I hit a wall. I have just about everything turned off or maintaining except blades, but can’t gain skills fast enough. Now mind you, it doesn’t help soloing, but that’s how I like to play. 65 Adventure level, killing orange Obsidian Bears is only small gains and anything else yellow reduces my pooled XP. My pooled producer XP is down to 65,000 and Adventure XP is at 175,00 after it dropped from killing yellow mobs and dying a few times in the Rise last night with a buddy of mine. Just can’t wrap my head around it and it’s frustrating me to where I don’t want to support the game anymore. Just not a fan of this system.

5. golruul

golruul Avatar

You don't HAVE to turn off skills, but it's more efficient in terms of gold cost. If you have an infinite supply of gold, you can keep all your skills on and keep crafting every minute of the day. Eventually you'll get where ever you want to go skill wise at a cost of more gold (in terms of reagent/tool/component costs) -- but since you have an infinite supply of gold, you don't care about that.

If you don't have infinite gold, it's better to pool up a lot of xp so that each time you craft, more xp goes into the skill you want per gold spent. So, if you want to raise your enchant/masterwork skills, it's better to wait until you get a couple million producer xp pool before you start wasting those gold/silver ingots (in addition to the cost of making more weapon/armor pieces). Why is it better? Because if you save up 4 million producer xp, each masterwork will take, say, 4k, out of that pool and put it into the skill. If you only have 4k producer xp, it'll only take, say, 2 (not 2k, just 2), out of that pool and put it into the skill.

Building a big pool of xp only really matters for enchanting/masterworking because of the cost of doing it.

6. Godra

Godra Avatar

@golruul
    I appreciate the info. I will try and work on crafting with skills turned off over the next two weeks and see what happens.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  7. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

IMO you are far better off just hitting the normal high exp gathering spots like the mines or skinning spots like Ulfheim. First of all, you also get to take advantage of the double adventure experience that way. Second you are also earning money instead of losing it.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  8. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

A trick that has been making the crafting side go quicker for me is using regular tools with gold engraving for the 30% speed boost. I have a lot of tool repair kits saved up from all the mindless grinding so I am able to keep the tool repaired for free.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  9. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I have never been much of a crafter (at the tables). Just a few areas leveled up.
    Now that there is double XP I decided to do more.

I'm surprised at the slowness of accumulation of producer XP.
    If it is half of this normally, I don't see why anyone does it.

I went out yesterday and in an hour I got 64K Ad XP and 15K producer in Serpent Mines killing and harvesting.

I go the the crafting table and spend the same hour and get less than 15K and hour.
    Seems like something is not balanced in the producer XP area.
    (nothing is turned on in either area)

Note:
    My producer level is 60 and adventure level is 70.
    Using devotional buffs for crafting (alchemy and blacksmith) at +5 tables & wearing rings.

I'm not complaining about this just noting that it is unbalanced IMO (but what do I know)

Oyjord Hansen and K1000 like this.
  10. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

A word from my experience.
    Once a skill level gets fairly high, it is eating large chunks of XP every time you use it. And if you have more than one skill set to raise at once they are all gobbling up your pool. So of course the pool will go down. To grow your pool, either turn EVERYTHING off for a while, or raise just one skill at a time.

Also - skill points are transferred from the pool to a skill every time that skill is used. If you are fighting yellow or orange mobs, and take 50 hits to kill them, then you will transfer OUT from the pool (50 x whatever) and get IN (1 x whatever the mob gives). Not good economic sense. You are better to go fight mobs that you can just handle without too much difficulty - you kill them quickly, and the XP flows. As they get easier, go to something stronger. And probably avoid The Rise for a while.....;)

11. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Having a majority of the craft exp come from mining sucks. Its really bad for the economy. If high level players could get craft exp some other way they'd be WAY more likely to buy resources from low level players and the entire economy would function better. There is no reason for me to buy silver from someone if I need craft experience anyway.

margaritte and Vodalion [BEAR] like this.
  12. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

If you are a new player and just getting into crafting (or anyone who hasn't yet leveled up their butchery skills)... I'd say one of the best and most economical ways to gain producer xp is at the butchery table.

- Make sure your butchery skills are low and set to not training
    - Make sure you use a standard (non +5) butchery station so your success chance is as low as possible
    - Get yourself a stack of obsidian carcasses (any type, but a variety of bear, wolf, and venison is best) and do batches of 20
    - Hope you fail on all of them because no "fuels" get consumed with butchery and with low skills you will fail a lot.
    - You gain XP on all the failures, so the "unluckier" you are the better.

With double XP, you can rack up some producer XP pretty easily while you watch TV or read a book. :D

* EDIT * - Helps if you have an indestructible cleaver (artisan or prosperity) so you don't need to keep buying or repairing your tool.

13. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

I like the sounds of this, thanks. I don't think I have any of the obsidian meat butchery recipes, though. Hmm. I have a lot of saved carcasses, guess I'll go hunting for the recipes. Cheers.

Sorthious likes this.
  14. Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock Avatar

I just cooked every recipe i know (about 60) twice and got 78330XP in 25 minutes. (12k for my first troll spare ribs)

margaritte and Sorthious like this.
  15. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Another tip... a lot of the butchery recipes are discoverable (meaning you can just put the carcass on the butchery station and if you don't have the recipe yet, it will say "Unknown Recipe").

I'd suggest putting any carcass you can find on there and crafting it once to see if you can learn the recipe without having to buy it.

Sorthious and Rentier like this.
  16. Godra

Godra Avatar

So I was reviewing the crafting XP sheet and need to ask a few questions here. So looking at say Blacksmithing; from 0 to 100 would be 1,212,424 XP to get to that desired level? But to get to level 150, it would be a total of 142,338,507. Ant that is just the main Blacksmithing skill, so if you want to Masterwork it, you would need an additional 1,212,424 to get to level 100, plus an additional 1,212,424 to get say Masterwork Plate at level 100? And if you really want to get to 150 on Masterwork Plate, that would be another additional 141,000,000+ XP? Am I reading this correctly?

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

This is the alternative to a hard cap. Nobody is really expected to go much over 100.

18. Godra

Godra Avatar

my big issue is the big gap between 50 and 100. I mean, only 10,000 XP and BANG, a total wall. And that's not even considering you need to level mining, smelting and a bit of tanning for straps. No wonder why I am so frustrated. I have also been frustrated on Blade Mastery not moving either. Only been grinding for two months and only at 66. This has just opened up my eyes and is a total turnoff for me. Thanks for the info.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

In any case, I tried wolf and bear hats last night and I ended up spending so much time making straps that by the time I was done I had made maybe only a little more XP than I would have if I'd gone to Elysium. The major differences being I would have made money and acquired more resources rather than losing them. So while I'm sure I made a little more XP crafting, I feel like I would've been more productive had I just gone to mine like normal. The difference in gold and resources makes up for the difference in XP..

That's not counting the amount of time it took to get all the resources I used up either. If I took 10 hours to gather those resources and 3 hours to use them up.. then 13 hours got me only a little more crafting XP than 3 hours of mining did. Just throwing the '10' out there as a simple number. I used up about 200 wolf & bear heads in 3 - 3 1/2 hours of crafting. Also considering I got adventure XP during mining also. Needless to say, I've run out of heads and my miner doesn't have the coin to keep buying fuels for straps and hats. So either way I'll be heading back to the mines tonight.

Just my experience so far.

Edit: Ah I guess I didn't take into account XP from skinning to get the hides and heads so there is that.. but then that comes down to XP from gathering vs XP from gathering.

Still, there's also no point in gathering resources you're not going to use either so may as well use them up.

They haven't (to date) done a very good job of giving value to skill. Putting level requirements on some recipes was a start but when the only difference is in success rate and fuel loss it doesn't mean much. That epic plate is equally good whether you made it with 70 skill or 200. There needs to be some kind of variable skill based quality or something to make it really matter.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Cora Cuz'avich likes this.
  20. Godra

Godra Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood so I am now at 230,000 pooled XP just crafting iron ingots. It’s not really good XP, but I need the ingots to make sheets, which is double the ingot XP with a +5 crafting station and a +3 blacksmithing blessing. I have all smelting and blacksmithing skills turned off. Once I get the sheets made (which I may or may not turn on the blacksmithing skills for the sheets) I will turn on blacksmithing skill and craft epic plate boots. I was getting 4000 XP from them when I hit an exceptional one. Then I can turn around and make the silver ingots at the same low XP, but use the boots for Masterwork gains. Not sure if this is the best route, but I can’t do anything without ingots anyway, so what’s the difference at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.