Housing and rent cost reductions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Conversation starter:

I am aware this is one of those topics that might get heated responses and bring in armys of trolls and white knights hopfully we can have real discussion here.

At the telethon @DarkStarr (on vacation atm) mentioned reducing tax rates on houses. At first I was like ok cool then I remembered I bought pledges and bundles because I didnt want to pay taxes. Infact I invested $2500 do to this very benefit.

Im not sure it would be fair at this point to lessen the tax on lots with mabey the compromise of the row with completion of oracle quest. Imop just make that one TF and call it good.

I spent in one example $1200 to get a tax free town deed because for me I didnt want to pay taxes on that lot to change that now I think a sort of refund would be due me.(not really my perspective but could be some peoples)

I know this conversation is at the starting point and nothing is in concrete.

How do you all feel?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Beaumaris and Dyonisys like this.
  2. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I feel like too many people feel entitled to a lot that they aren't.

If I buy a car and next years model is newer and costs less I'm not entitled to a lower car payment.

If I buy a lot deed in SotA and they get added as a quest reward I don't get a refund.

Fairness has nothing to do with it, if the taxes are decreased only for certain players that's potentially unfair but lower taxes for everyone is fair whether you like it or not.

3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I think your experience doesn't change.
    You bought rent-free, and you still have it.

We've always known rent might be adjusted. It doesn't matter if others are paying higher or lower tax. They're still paying.

If lower tax encourages new players to remain, that's good.

4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

A lot of the $12m+ that was sunk to build the game from original backers since 2015 is simply gone as it was needed to build the product we invested in.

Going forward Port need fresh backers to grow and enhance the game and for that to happen changes to the income generation model will be needed. Port obviously see housing as a lure to new players and fresh revenue streams may mean more affordable housing going forward.

We can't turn back the investment clock and we can't recover funds we invested in good faith that are already sunk into the bricks and mortar of the game.

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I sorta see your point, but when they sell you something based on definable facts then change those facts at a later date is also a valid argument and one I think applies here. Not saying this is bait and switch but something that should be well considered when deciding how to move forward on this.

They told me my tax would be x if I bought a town deed or I can spend more and not have to pay that x if I dug deeper on a tf deed.

Personally I think all deeds should be on a vendor for igg and tax free.

Another side topic, why buy bundles in the future the main puller in the bundles was the deeds with low tax rates thier value is diminished?

yinki2 likes this.
  6. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

I'm more concerned about the longevity of the game than people getting discounted or tax free row deeds. My investment in tax free deeds will be completely worthless if they close down. Player retention and new players are desperately needed and something needs to change.

sardon777, uziraff, Neonis and 18 others like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I can buy into that argument, total diclaimer here I sold my deed ahead of this news but was wortied about those that invested for the reasons I brought up.

Balnir Morlemaine likes this.
  8. Balnir Morlemaine

Balnir Morlemaine Avatar

Your lot will still be tax free. That is what you paid for, and that is what you have. That will not change. Other people paying less has no impact on you any more than it would if they had to pay more.

9. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

You like myself invested in the game not the pledge awards we were given for those pledges. We all knew back in the days of pledges that everything was subject to change.

10. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Both my lots are tax free (kickstarter), and I think lowering tax on lots is a great step in the right direction for players. I also like very much that now anyone can own a row lot for completion of a solo quest.

Neonis, Witcheypoo, cobran and 5 others like this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I can give a little on that argument, but there is a line someplace that needs to be respected. When sold something you expect to maintain a certin value per investment. Like ive stated id actually wish all lots are taxfree and avail for igg so im not a hard sell on this.

In uo it was easy to get deeds and hard to find land openings id love that.

sardon777 likes this.
  12. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all. So there are so many points to consider on this. Personally I am with you @Brass Knuckles, If I am told that if I spend more on this pledge and the things in the pledge are unique to the pledge and will not be available to non-pledge buyers I feel that is a verbal contract especially since money has changed hands. It is also a marketing ploy that many people fall prey to, me included. But you have to keep in mind that as @Sir Frank said "You bought rent-free, and you still have it". Those Tax Free Place anywhere deeds are not sold anymore so if you have one it is unique. The ones that are offered now are Tax free POT deeds. If they lower the tax on taxable deeds that does change the dynamics of the housing system and dilutes the value of the Tax Free deeds but does not make them the same and it will bring more players to the game. I do not ever foresee taxed deeds will be made tax free because of the gold sink that it offers.

So I guess I am for lowering the rent on taxed deeds because of the increase of players and player retention.

Phoenix007 likes this.
  13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Its a great decision giving the row lot deeds out free to players, hopefully not to late..... Houses are great, row are fine for a new or old player, lots room in and below. But if there's many more players in the game, each with a row house it will increase the prospect of more people wanting to move house to one larger and should actually make the larger lot deeds more valuable over time.

Oyjord Hansen, Jaesun, Dhanas and 2 others like this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Origianly larger deeds were set up a something a guild would have to fund, but that thinking has changed.

This is my current thinking:
    Row deeds should all be taxfree, villiage lots to 500gp day leave towns and larger for guilds and or pledge honoring.

Really the perpose of the thread is to have honest and real conversations. The more view points the better!

blacksheepboy likes this.
  15. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Don't have a lot or house, yet. Slowly working my way there, tax or no tax :)

Personally wouldn't mind seeing the "tax rate" kinda stay in a bit of flux.. like a semi-mirror of the real world.. when the in-game economy is booming, maybe the go up.. when it's crawling, maybe they go down a bit.. depending how closely devs want to monitor such things and adjust taxes ;) Might be interesting to help guide the in-game economy, and maybe create good times/bad times to buy/sell housing..

Just a thought ;)

Tiina Onir and Brass Knuckles like this.
  16. Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock Avatar

In my opinion they should reduce the tax rate only for the house you will get for completing the main quest.
    If you want a bigger house, pay your taxes :D

Rada Torment and Ravenscar like this.
  17. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Taxes constantly change IRL. Maybe they can do a roleplaying event with Lord British to make an ingame reason for taxes being lowered.

Rhiannon likes this.
  18. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I look at it this way:

In return for pledging WHEN I did (when the game was barely a tech demo), Portalarium gave me a lot of pixels, and they came with certain benefits. One of those, depending on my pledge level, was that I wouldn't be paying tax for property I own as a result of the pledge.

In return for pledging HOW MUCH I did, Portalarium gifted me with some property, and the amount I pledged determined the quantity and size of those lots.

I have owned property (1 town and 1 row lot) for two years. I have long since been compensated for the TIMELINESS of my contribution to the cause by the lack of taxes I pay. The sizes and number of lots I received immediately compensated me for the AMOUNT I contributed.

I have lost nothing before now, and my investment has been returned with interest. Not only is the game here, it has been launched. Nothing they do with taxes on lots (other than a reversal on tax free status) will lessen said investment, since it came to maturity the moment the game became a full reality.

19. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Fwiw, taxes are probably already higher than they used to be, because a lot of gold faucets have been shut off since persistence and COTOs no longer provide a discount.

Maybe it's not realistic, but it'd be cool to have a tax system that gave people discounts in lower traffic areas, or something along those lines.

20. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Honestly, I can say that I have never had to worry about gold, and that is from using nothing but bought gear (npc at first, then player crafted later on), and storing stuff in my bank and using public crafting tables to bump things in value. The rates may have stayed the same, but I never had a problem making enough that taxes would be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.