Troll. . .still sucks. . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jordizzle, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Man, I guess I've unintentionally made it my mission in this game to hate on the troll each release, I swear this is probably like the 50'th time I've posted about it . . LOL Anyway. . the Troll used to be such a pain to fight because it would run away from you, then eventually reach an invisible distance limitation, then would turbo run back to spawn point and hurl a boulder at you. That was always annoying. Now, it seems like the troll takes a short sprint to get, I dunno, maybe 5 feet from you, then proceeds to throw a boulder at you, which is even more annoying. Why is he using a ranged attack when I'm right beside him. He can attempt to run from me, and I can hit him with Body Slam, unload a couple of bludgeon attacks on him, and he just ignores the fact that I'm right there. . and picks up the rock and throws it at me. .nothing you can do about it either. I just don't understand. . is his boulder meant to be a ranged attack or what? Should he be throwing it at you when you are still within body slam range??

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    FrostII likes this.
  2. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

This typically occurs when the troll is rooted. It could be due to one of your attacks. Body slam maybe, I believe it has a stun effect no?

The troll is basically using its ranged attack because it can't get to you.

hammadowna likes this.
  3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

He's definitely not rooted when this happens because he's moving away from me, and the only reason I hit him with body slam is because he turns his back to me and starts moving away from me, so I attempt to stop him with body slam. .and he just proceeds to throw a boulder at me, all the while I'm close enough to give him a palm reading.

FrostII likes this.
  4. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Yes I think I see the problem. Once the body slam occurs, a short stun effect may be being applied, and instead of preventing it from running away and throwing a boulder, it actually causes the troll AI to switch to using its ranged attack immediately because it has no other option. Of course I'm not 100% sure a stun will cause this, but a rooting effect definitely will. Maybe someone can confirm? Until then though I would suggest not using stuns or roots if the intention is to avoid the run/boulder toss, as it will likely just happen sooner.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

I spoke to the troll.

He said he's very hurt that you would talk about him on the forums like this, and wishes you spoke to him directly.

6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Only due the fact that you both seem to have selected a gender for it, no doubt.

hammadowna and Jordizzle like this.
  7. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I'm about done talking to this dang Troll. And I have another bone to pick about it. . he does fall damage to me when he dies when he clearly does not fall on me. . so frustrating! I'm just begging the devs now. . please please please spend 30 minutes polishing the troll and his animations. ..

8. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Maybe they could add an indicator for impending troll death like the type of indicators they have on FFXIV. It shows you the area that will be impacted beforehand so you can get out of the way. Something like that would be nice.

9. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Yeah, or just align his animation with what is actually happening. Or change the verbiage on when and how he's supposed to do this fall damage. If he damages everything near him when he reaches 0 life. .okay fine. .call it "damage upon death" or something. .but calling it fall damage when he is able to damage you without actually falling on you just seems wrong.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I fight the rolls in the pass all the time for the toe nails (ew!). I start by using a stacked Disabling Shot to slow him so that he stays just out of reach.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Pretty sure the OP is not an archer, or he probably wouldn't be body slammin' him.......
    Just sayin........

Jaesun, Daigoji Gai and Barugon like this.
  12. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I personally never assume one's gender anymore and I'm happier for it.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  13. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Since you pretty much have to fight them right between their legs, it's pretty easy to assume their gender.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, I know.

15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Well this is pretty easy. I vote for female trolls in the game. They should be designed so there can be no mistake in characterization.

Cordelayne, FrostII and Barugon like this.
  16. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

This doesn't make any sense. The whole point of a stun is to stop the foe from doing anything until the stun wears off or he breaks it, so he shouldn't be able to throw a boulder when stunned. If he's rooted he also shouldn't necessarily be throwing a boulder if you're close to him, as he can still hit you when rooted. He just can't run away.

Jordizzle, Barugon and Jaesun like this.
  17. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

I dont think you can stun the troll. You can blink out of the way of his boulder tho. And its so satisfying to pull that off.

hammadowna likes this.
  18. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I think this dynamic favors game balance rather than realism. Although it may not be intentional.

hammadowna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.