Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Summonings are completely useless in this release

Discussion in 'Release 54 Feedback Forum' started by Sakarisei, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

This is being addressed to get them back to at least as powerful as they were prior to 54 but I believe in most cases they will be stronger.

2. Koss

Koss Avatar

I hope so @Chris - I haven't jumped into taming as of yet because of everyone b*tching about how bad it is.

Please make it viable. And keep up the good work.

I can see alot of things pulling together now.

3. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

oi! Invest the 65 millions in like swords or so and you are like an god!

4. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

@Chris I really want the Undead and Chaos summons to be the most powerful. The Daemon because there needs to be a huge risk summoning it, since it will attack everything and everyone. It needs to be a dangerous threat to warrant such a summoning, the lure of commanding a powerful daemon to destroy your enemies.
    The Undead because of all the passives that affect them. They should be able to do a ton of damage like tamed pets if you have the proper skills trained up (I also consider them the "Pet" tree of the magic trees).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Tila Tenderfoot and Daigoji Gai like this.
  5. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

Summons are garbage right now because they haven't been buffed at all. Their health doesn't scale very well at all (including the Water ele), and their Damage and Damage Resist doesn't scale period. Before this release most summons (except for the water ele, wisp, and undead) were mainly used as free extra damage, or a cheap decoy (Since it only costs a few cheap reagents to summon one for an area). The Undead summons, when the passives are leveled and you have a certain artifact, are used as heavier damage dealers and emergency tanks due to how they can partially scale (though not to the extent of tamed pets unfortunately).

Just because something isn't useful now doesn't mean it should be removed, they just need time to get buffed (One of the devs even said that summons are getting their own Overhaul).

6. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

We are past going public.
    While minor adjustments happen all the time, legit, this type of problem should have bee addressed before, it is not minor.
    yes such games as sota are complex, but they are not shy about taking money for there product.
    If we where F2P here and all funding was over the teletons I would not bother mentioning it, but you have to pay to get more than an sneak peek so the game fundamentals should be top priority before anything else

7. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

This weekend my phoenix was doing 10-15 damage at level 80 my fire elemental was doing about the same with level 28 and my buddies water elemental heals for like 100 so something is definitely wrong here, and I though specializations was going to affect summons did you decide not to do that?

8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the odds of summons ever being actually noticeably useful is effectively zero. Summoned elementals function entirely independently of the player at no risk. You can drop an elemental down and blink to the top of a rock and sit and watch the fight. As @Chris is on a tireless crusade to purge the game of low risk grinding, I can't see that getting passed him for more than a release or three, like last time with pets.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  9. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

I used the wisp with an archer build and it saved me a lot of time on enemy debuts. Will test it tonight and see if the focus cost is off the charts.

10. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

|I meant to say only whisps has low focus cost (but is useless against bossmobs now)

Tila Tenderfoot likes this.
  11. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Focus cost on the wisp is negligble. However, now the wisp applies -1 dr debuff while taking its sweet time. I don’t remember it being so slow in casting the debuff before R53. Not sure if it’s related to how far the wisp is from a boss. I tested on Torc, Phoenix, and Ghost Corpion.

Jaesun likes this.
  12. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I used it on dragons ({ancient) does not stick (the icon does not show on the dragons bar.)
    Basical, I do not have the feel any but the water pet merrits the focus cost (and exp) levelling them, it is kinda not in scale with my own abillities.
    Conjurer is not an viable class as it is

13. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

My water elemental is at gm and its heals are now interrupted often. I have to switch it from passive to aggressive and back to passive - heals seem to work then.

14. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

And don’t get me started on self-targeting for heals - every time I get some distance (main build is archer), targeting keeps switching to party members or the water elemental. And I die.

15. HuntedHunt

HuntedHunt Avatar

One of two problem situations seem to occur for me.

1. In passive (and sometimes defensive) mode, if it has no target it'll realize it needs to heal when it or you are below ~75% health (though usually I hit 50% health before the heal actually happens), but greatly prioritizes moving to catch up etc. Giving it an attack order on a locked target (non-sticky target often won't do anything) swaps it into combat mode which seems to have a heal upfront if anyone is damaged and has a much greater distance threshold for actions vs moving priorities. Swapping to aggressive and back likely does the same thing.

2. In any mode, it seems to sometimes have a target that is invalid, but it doesn't revert to no-target. usually happens when a mob runs away I think?
    Telling it to 'Stop Attacking' will fix this, and trigger a heal if it's not currently too far from you (It prioritizes moving if it isn't nearby). If does move at this point, I usually have to get it to attack again instead to start it healing ala problem 1.

16. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

The targeting bug also happens without the water elemental. How would you explain that? @HuntedHunt

17. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

@Pounce wisp might be having issues with ancient dragons bc of the distance. Seems to apply to other bosses. But the debuff doesn’t reapply as fast as it used to.

The distance also matters for fireflies - a lot harder to apply them at distance.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  18. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.