What Does Your Name Mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Katrina = all my characters are named Katrina or (if unavailable) a variation of it. The origin of the name come from the tabletop game Battletech (FASA, 1984), of which I was a very avid player. Archon Katrina Steiner was the leader of the House Steiner during the Third Succession War in classical 3025 timeline.

Bekers = the last name was obligatory in very early Second Life, and at the time the only choice I found appealing was "Bekkers". In every other game since, I dropped the second k and (if possible) I named my chars like my forum and ingame name.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Anpu - one Of Anubis’ various names, specifically in the Second Hour of the Tuat (the Egyptian Underworld).

I just have a thing for Egyptian mythology. :D

Almar, Alleine Dragonfyre and Lesni like this.
  3. NessLadedada2

NessLadedada2 Avatar

My name originally came from Second Life -inserts goofy face here- I named myself Hennesy Blake, never kept Blake renamed myself as just Ness. I then met my love, Boo Ladedada, so that's where I got Ladedada! He has been Boo Ladedada in several games and while this is my very first PC MMO, he and I are Boo & Ness Ladedada here :D

4. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

My name is after an old friend that left the community sometime ago. I miss him.

Wreckognize and Kara Brae like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, Sempiternal Dragon / BDF meld.

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Oh, good lord... Is Simpermental Dragon back?

Barugon likes this.
  7. Sir Aular Glorthalion

Sir Aular Glorthalion Avatar

My first online game was Diablo. I was a huge fan of the Final Fantasy franchise, and went by "Lightwarrior" there. By the time I was ready to move into other games and get a yahoo and gmail accounts, though, Lightwarrior was pretty much taken everywhere so I had to come up with something different.

So I reached back to high school. In my high school AP English class, we had a unit on Greek mythology where had to write a short story about a fictional/made-up god in the pantheon. I took the word "aural" (of sound), and transposed the letters there to make Aular, a god of light. In the story, Aular was the the younger half-sibling to Zeus, having been born of Chronos by thought and explosion of space and time. When Aular was born, he shone brightly and Chronos placed him in the sky as the first Sun. He was later replaced by Helios and went into the cosmos to create new stars.

When signing up for online things, since I had created the name and word, it was available pretty much everywhere and I adopted it as my online gaming name. It also fit because I'm fond of the Paladin archetype (Portalarium - there are *several* in the community who can tell you exactly what is a Paladin). It was only years later that I found out it was the last name of a family in Ecuador, when a Rodolfo Aular registered aularR@yahoo. I would occasionally get his email.

When signing up for this game, I liked the idea of a last name, so I delved into Tolkien's canon. Being found of the Dunedain and their Elvish roots, I comprised a last name that roughly translates to "Hero/Friend of the Light" (Glor being "golden hue, or golden light" and Thalion being "hero, dauntless man; strong, dauntless").

Thus: Aular Glorthalion.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Barugon like this.
  8. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Let's see.. usually spent an inordiante amount of time picking the perfect char name.. then sat down to play UO. Spent a few moments staring at the name field, then basically shrugged, stole the name of my recent SimCity, split it in half, and created Met Alton. Decided -this- was going to be my go to char name from now on..

Some time later migrated to EverQuest.. wouldn't allow 3 letter names, so Met Alton went back to Metalton. Decoded -this- was going to be my char name from now on ;)

Jumped servers and the new one blocked Metalton.. morphed it into Metalathen, later had to pick a lastname, and Metalathen Alton.. didn't sound quite right.. so decided on something "knightly", with a lil' Renfield mixed in, so Renshalth.

So, Metalton Renshalth is my go-to name for almost everything from drunken wandering explorer, to paladin, to itinirant knight.. and now in SotA, Rincewind-esque mage ;)

9. Almar

Almar Avatar

My name is the name I have used in every RPG game since Ultima 4.

'Almar' is a construction of the first syllable of my first name and the first syllable of my second name.

Quite simply - 'Almar' is 'me'.

I have had other characters over the gaming multiverse, but 'Almar' is my main almost always.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  10. Iver_88

Iver_88 Avatar

My surname is "Tříska" which is "Íver" in slovak language. Something like "Chip" in english. So i am using "Iver" as my nickname. Becouse i am playing as woman character, it is "Iverka". Czech equivalet of Iver for woman character. All names are same for man and woman in english, but "ka" as suffix in this case means "young woman" in czech language. Something like Cat and Kitty in english... It is same principe.

11. matpsch

matpsch Developer Emeritus

12. Xkillerz

Xkillerz Avatar

This topic is kinda interesting. How did my nickname come to exist? I was first using my front name with the printer of hp called royhp. Then when I started to play a lot of FPS shooter games that name was taken and other names as well and the meaning was a bit weird. After trying all kind of names that were taken. I tried thinking something with an X and then I choose Xkillerz as I was playing FPS games and even esports in half life 2 deathmatch back then and that's how I took the nickname Xkillerz since 2008. At non-gaming forums, I use another nickname. I did play 2 games in the past that banned nicknames with the word (killer) in it. Today I am kinda used to use this nickname as players can recognize me from it in other games.

I also heard my nickname on the last Livestream. :) A reply here felt suited.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Barugon like this.
  13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

[​IMG]

You broke my dreams

[​IMG]

Ribald comes from the Waukeen's promenade, initialy. But the first name really exists and it's also a word that means "characterized by or using coarse, indecent humor". I wanted to adopt it just because it sounds great.

Hornpipe comes from Ireland. It's a dance, and also a reference to a Ultima song.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  14. matpsch

matpsch Developer Emeritus

To be fair, I do PRONOUNCE it "Mat psssshhhhhhhh" :D

15. Kacey Cupcakes

Kacey Cupcakes Avatar

I am known for my cupcakes!

16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Well here we have the elegant pirate, Captain Boris Mondragón. Thought to be an orphan from the old lands (Old Brittania/UO). Lived in an orphanage and was accepted to the Old Brittania Naval Academy, not allowed to commission due to peer jealously and involvement with Naval Academy Commander’s daughter. Turns pirate and goes through the vortex to Novia to battle the cabalists here as his parents did back in Trinsic Jungle. The name Mondragón comes from his mother’s pact with Trinsic Shamans that entailed her morphing into a silver dragon only visible at night in return for her son’s safety (Boris) who was given to the Old Brittany orphanage. The name also shows his affinity for silver dragons as his mother did the metamorphosis during childbirth. He carries silver dragon blood in his veins coveted by the Obdidisns for their dark primal magic hidden experiments. R/Boris/El Pirata.

17. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Did my favorite/most common character name earlier.. my forum name however is just a mash up of TimeLord and Babylon 5.. More of an overname, tend not to use it for actual characters ;)

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  18. Crusader of Sacrifice

Crusader of Sacrifice Avatar

Sacrifice is my strongest virtue. I’m 7 out of 7 on the virtue test. And I’m happy to be that way. I don’t think there’s enough of it in this world.

And I’ve always loved knights. I’ve had Knight, Avatar, and now Crusader in my name. Crusaders fought a holy war. I like to think I’m fighting on the side of virtue against antivirtues.

And there are too many antivirtues going around.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  19. Vero

Vero Avatar

Vero means 'The slayer of stuff' in my own head mostly!

for the rest: I was once named 'Veronique'. Now just like getting your 'crush name' tattoood on your arm. naming a character while on the pink cloud ain't the best idea

:)

20. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

"veronique oflowlands" - never forget :D

Vero and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.