in defense of botting : why crafting bots should be exempt from a ban

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Hendoman, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

So hitting a few keys every 3 minutes or so, unaceptable, but playing the game hitting keys hundreds of times in 3 minutes, acceptable?

Moiseyev Trueden and Olthadir like this.
  2. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

HAHAHA i JUST understood what you are saying! Sell the mats to people more interested in crafting and max my time combatting. Sorry, my thinking is about an hour slow. That makes more sense. Not for single player mode, but for my mode, online mode, it will work once i figure out who has vendors/work orders i can sell to. I'm off to scour the marketplace forum...

I guess i started a lame thread, my apologies - please delete if needed.

THE HENDOMAN

Moiseyev Trueden and Ben_Hroth like this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I got a smelter with 109 almost 110 in efficiency, all the other efficiencies are at 100 giving an extra 20%.

4. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

When i have to do batches of raw materials I set up my toon with plenty of fuels and tools and go reading news/emails/watch news/chat
    It is my lazy time where i pop back into Sota from time to time to plunk more onto the table and restart the process and enjoy that no one is out to kill me.

I do not need to bot, just organising my time for doing other stuff outside Sota in a way that allows me to spend a few seconds hitting a few keys.

and i am above GM in Tailoring and carpenting.

Legal bots for anything in the game no

Make processing raw materials more fun (or expand the pool one can set) yes, but botting should never be the viable solution.

Mac2 and Boo Ladedada like this.
  5. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

One Virtue I don't hear people talk about much is Patience. I'm still new only started after Launch. So what was promised or allowed in the past. I only hear about or find out from posts I read Here. To me botting is Cheating, From my understanding, this is a Sandbox MMO and not meant to be Grandmaster in 2 weeks rather I would like it to take someone 2 years to Grandmaster Legitimately. It would give you such a better feeling and value to your items IMO only.

What I mainly wanted to say was increase Batching numbers would help a lot here.

Runs away Dodging the arrows n tomatoes.

By the way, I love this game and every opportunity it offers if approached right.

6. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I do not waste expensive arrows or tomatoes on people just giving there opinion!

7. vetrom

vetrom Avatar

Make 'water plants' use 1 bucket per use, change npc bucket price to 1, problem solved?

8. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I understand why people want to bot certain actions however this points to design or implementation flaws in the game. Botting isn't a valid solution.

9. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

They want us to believe the are doing it because it's necessary... No one is buying that argument people. You want to turn a profit, plain and simple. Get a job you dead beats! :D

10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Exactly, we should be looking for and proposing solutions. The fact that such a huge part of the community is all for botting shows there is a problem with the feature. Now instead of trying to justify use of 3rd party software, we should be looking into solutions. Since yesterday here are the top solutions I found :

1. Hireable NPC : Allow to hire a "Worker" NPC which will do the batch processes for you. Give him a work order (xAmount of yItem), the required ressources AND FUEL, and then maybe a small worker fee (Gold sink anyone?) and he will do this while you are logged out or while you do anything else!

2. Minigame : During refining/component crafting, you can participate in a minigame which will allow you to keep the batch process going. a combination of skill and timing will allow you to process 1000's of items without stopping as long as you keep doing the minigame, and certain "perfect" actions will initiate an exceptionnal craft, aka reducing production time and giving a bonus xp. This is probably harder to implement, but will make crafting interactive and allow for a skill factor to come into play like combat, giving you a reason to do it yourself!

This is what we should be pushing for, not re-permitting bots to go as bots devalue so many aspects of a game, mainly for the players who don't bot, but also for the botter as he will some day get the sentiment that there is no reason for him to play as the bot is way more efficient, making his play time pointless (unless you just do this to RWT gold, in which case you just devalue the game for others and you aren't fun!)

11. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Those are great ideas. Vanguard had a decent take on refining materials as well.

12. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Botting is good for the already low population numbers, just saying.

Halfwitte likes this.
  13. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

Allow batching to go as high as people want it, and have it complete instantaneously and give you all the mats refined and xp you would normally get. Take the pain out of refining materials like they do in Tera. It starts a little slow and once it reaches 10 of anything it just becomes instantaneous and you're done free to go do the fun stuff. The problem though with this game is there is no fun stuff to go do once you're done crafting, so I guess it makes sense for this game. There's no loot or gear chase, no reason to PVP, no reason to really grind as most of game content can be completed at Adventure Level 80 and just about everything else except control points can be soloed at around 100 and Dance Parties have no ADV LVL requirement.

Now that I look at it they really need to soak up your time with the crafting time mechanism. Sit there and tell yourself it's a mini game. Guess how many times you're going to fail at 95% and see if you guess right. Time yourself at how fast can you reset the 20 batch number and click start. Estimate how long you can click E collecting water before falling asleep and then have your spouse or significant other log when you fell asleep and wake you up to keep going and see how many times you can do this without needing some sort of stimulant. See how many groups of 10 push-ups you can do and for how many total batches and then switch to crunches then squats and etc... Click start and run to the kitchen and see how many dishes you can wash before the batch is done or see how many laps you can run around your house. You can start a batch and read a Dr. Seuss book to your kids or do a cross word puzzle with your spouse. See how many rounds of Ammunition you can safely reload during a batch, it's like double crafting IRL and virtual! Seriously, when I think of all the fun I have outside the game IRL while crafting I have to wonder why anyone would want to bot period, since this is the only game I've played that actually allows you to spend time with your family and play the game at the same time. There are all sorts of mini games you can come up with to make crafting exciting and fun, so why would anyone want to bot it, it takes all the joy out of the crafting process.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  14. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

I want barrels collecting water when it rains. And hireable NPC's is an awesome idea. If i recall right FFXIV had something like this with player merchants you could send them off on a mission but when they did that your vendor was not selling anything kinda like we already have lets put our vendors to work.

15. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

stick a film on :p

16. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I'd rather see them ban botting first, and work on improving the in-game systems second. Now that botting has been outlawed, they can start focusing on improving the in-game systems to be a little more convenient. This is a step in the right direction, and even if it's a little harder in the short term, it will pay off in the long term.

Had they gone the opposite route of trying to improve the in-game systems first, and ban botters later, it could've allowed botters to get an even larger advantage over non-botters.

17. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

what about a task system, go to a npc ask to hire another player refine 30000 mats for xxxx gold in xxx amout of time. ( give mats + other item needed to process exept tool)

playr who want the task just get fake ressouces linked to that task (0 value) , he refine fake resources as it was real...then bring back to npc for reward...and task giver get his refined ressources.

when player accept a task a mail is sent to task giver with his name so they can comunicate.

refiner ger crafting xp when turning back all the refined ressources needed to complete the task.

18. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I was thinking about this last night. Could be a great way for new players to make a little money. They could get the tasks at the crafting pavilions in town, and they could be split into whatever size batch the player wanted to do. I like your idea of linking fake resources so that players can't just abuse the system to steal resources and never turn in the tasks.

19. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

I just turned 40; Ultima titles were the first games I got in single digits for my IBMPC Jr in the 80s.I think I am in demo and am against IMHO, lazy ass and pathetic botting.
    [​IMG]

20. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I am against using hiring new players to do boring chores in the game as a solution to fix this crafting/mat processing issue. The game has so much to explore, we should try to steer players into doing something fun for the long term.

While it is fine for the players to generate business opportunities for others to do boring tasks, the dev should keep finding the better ways to make the system more fun and not treat this approach as a silver bullet and move on to other things. Otherwise, eventually people will get burned out and missed out many other things.

Baratan, Ravenscar and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.