Crafting and why it s....s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pounce, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

That math makes it as rare as if we talk about an endgame gear.

2. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Well the next who complains about my armor prices i slap with an wet trout

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Good point.

4. .rhavin

.rhavin Avatar

Why not having a simply "look for vendor" GUI that lets you select from a tree or enter directly an items name (preferably with 90% match spellchecking) and enlists all vendors including town, distance, stacksize and price that have that item? Could be an ingame database that gets updated once every hour and shipped to all clients.

And as a programmer i might add: thats no rocket-science ;)

matsutaki likes this.
  5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

So the people that started when the game was just beginning, devoted endless hours in play testing and reporting bugs, donating literally millions of dollars to the development of the project have an "unfair" advantage?
    Should we have all the people that invested in BitCoin from the start return the profits they've made to make things "more fair"?

In regards to the original comment, another option is to join a guild, or find a room at an inn that gives you access to a non-commission vendor. I still have rooms available in Brittany Fields that give you access to a commission free vendor.

Nikko and .rhavin like this.
  6. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

There are many teachable recipes, and the percentage of recipes available early on when they were discoverable is pretty small and low level compared to what is out there now. Many players will teach you recipes if you ask them.

I regularly take half my 500gp from the oracle and buy a recipe. Thats 7 recipes and 1750 gp free each week! (or 24 recipes & 7000 gp each month!) You could even do 48 recipes or 14,000 gp each month instead.

Shop around.. I've seen recipes offered for 5000 gp on one vendor, and 200 gp just down the street.

Take your time, don't sell your materials. Horde them in the bank and use them to level crafting. I craft most everything I need, and have all the mats I need because I never sold them. I only have 10K in the bank. Some people make that in an hour. Who cares... I could sell my mats, but why?

You really can't expect to learn, do, and be the same as people that have put more time in. That's OK. I've played since persistance and only have a GM in fishing. There are people started yesterday that probably have 3 GM's. I 'won' on day one, just log in, play, and enjoy. It's Shroud of the Avatar(SOTA), not Keeping up with the Jones' (KUWJ)

Enjoy, that's what is it about.

Numa and idaniod like this.
  7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

THIS is what we have needed for a while. It might even drive prices down a bit, because it would be much easier for a buyer to find/compare different vendors.

I agree that the prices get ridiculous. I simply won't spend 15k on a recipe. I'll wait, or find another way. We need to remember that PEOPLE own the market. When people pay that ridiculous amount, the sellers feel like they can get away with it. Stop buying, and prices will have to drop. Are any of these recipes truly a "need?" Not really.

Numa and StrangerDiamond like this.
  8. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Some, Like hardened leather bindings for armor, they make an very high damage bonus. Given archers are nerfed badly every point counts there

Numa and Trihugger like this.
  9. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Same with bronze and similar damage increasing things. I didn't read the whole thread but I'm sure someone has made mention that these prices are wildly inflated from the bunch of us playing for over a year already and there not being a tremendous number of us to begin with. Once the new blood start reaching the level of obtaining goody bags these things will mostly drop like a rock in price. The exceptions will be bindings/coils/etc. that are widely used. Expect those to remain expensive.

Kain Darkmoor and Numa like this.
  10. Numa

Numa Avatar

I can't think of any good reason to pay inflated prices for hardened leather or bronze piece recipes. These aren't exotic or rare mats by any stretch. To my mind these two recipe types should be teachable. That would solve the pricing issue in short order.

Trihugger likes this.
  11. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I just mean that they're actually good. Right now weapon damage trumps crit to an exaggeratedly pathetic degree so if you want to min-max, you're kinda locked into that.

Numa likes this.
  12. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I do not really min max in as making an supertoon, I though try to be the best archer i can be...

13. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

I certainly think the whole recipe system needs to be revisited and polished a bit. I think the original reason was to make the looting of supply bundles more appealing. It wasn't that long ago when we were clamoring for better loot, though I think the loot system can always be more robust as a game continues. Throwing most of the tier 2 and above recipes into the supply bundles helped to a degree to make the loot more appealing, however, the side effect is it really is a pain for new crafters wanting to be able to craft better gear (tier 2 and up). Add in that you have to farm certain mats for tier 3 items... but that helps the economy for people to sell that stuff too. It's always a balancing act. I'm sure they are not done here and will be worked on more as the game continues and more and more loot is added to the game where they could possibly substitute all but the rarest recipes and put in another way to obtain them other than visiting an npc and paying 250gp each for every recipe.

Right now it's just a matter of spending time shopping looking for vendors that sell them cheaply. There are plenty of people that do sell them cheap, however, if it becomes a known source of cheap goods it can be bought out repeatedly in order to resale for higher. Just the way it is atm, but there are plenty that do sell for low. I'd recommend, for bargain hunting, stay away from places that normally keep high prices on everything. But, if you're ever in desperate need and don't mind paying the extra to get what you want, then go to those places because they usually are stocked and have what you are looking for (save for rare pledge rewards, in which good luck hunting!) ;)

Numa likes this.
  14. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

One of the little known or quickly forgotten concepts during the development of this game was that there would be folks that specialize. Some great gatherers, some exceptional refiners, and those that are highly trained crafters. They did not intend that each of us would do it all. If you cannot make white iron plate leggings and need them hire someone who can. Most will do that for a small fee or even the mats only.

There are those, however, that help make it easier to get what you want. As already mentioned, (thank you @Rhiannon ) EVL has a public event every other month or so in which we swap recipes that can be taught. Others do that as well.

We also have a guild town in which we have all the blessings and numerous commission free vendors for the use of our guild members. Others do so as well.

In addition, twice a month we hold a crafting session in which folks party up with GM crafters in Virtue Oasis to gain the skill advancements that can be gained by being partied with a Grand Master. Others do that as well.

And, there are those town owners that help. Jade and I own Cottage Grove and the best lot in the town has CF vendors on it that we allow any of our residents to use at no charge and our Expert tables are available to all. Oh, others do that as well.

Look around, make friends, adventure together. The game has literally, just begun.

Oh, and those nasty folks that got in the game early? Many of them gave, yes GAVE Portalarium thousands of dollars so that this game could be finished for YOU to be able to play

15. berenice

berenice Avatar

my advice, join a guild. I do grind a lot in this game and get a lot of these recipe that I thought originally were common... I usually place them in a cabinet, public to everybody in the guild, so that they can learn them for free. When they stay long enough, I sell them on the Rift End guild vendor for 500-1000 gold.

@Onyx I am also a early supporter of this game, supporting financially the game does not give us the right to asphyxiate the economy, it is completely counter productive

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  16. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

What is my "unfair advantage"?
    Was it that I trusted LB enough to send him money to support a new and very undeveloped game?

I guess that John D. Rockefeller, who built Standard Oil in 1870 had an unfair advantage?
    Or investors in Intel in 1968?

Elwyn likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm not looking at anyone in particular, but it seems obvious by the price war that some people got a very strong head-start before some systems were balanced. We could draw historical parallels but this is not the forum for that.

Why do you feel targeted ?

Same thing with Onyx's statement... you can't generalize, the game certainly wasn't finished for *ME* to be able to play. It would seem obvious that I know what crowdfunding means, as well.

I'm just grumpy because my friends saw the imbalances (many of which are now corrected so, cool) and simply refused to play with me... timing of some implementations left a bitter taste, no big deal.

MrBlight likes this.
  18. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Depending on your socioeconomic bias, yes to most of the above!

Independent of socioeconomic bias... Commission Free vendors and Tax Free deeds are pretty huge advantages that are extremely difficult to get without expenditure of RL wealth.

Independent of that, I myself love crafting. But I hate marketing and sales. So I set myself up a shop. I keep it stocked. Sometimes I sell things. Most of the time it is just a coin sink. But I've GMed tailoring. My local community knows to come to me for tailoring stuff they cannot make themselves. And I adventure to collect silver, coin to pay for my craft habit, and to explore scenes and uncover story behind the world. I've come to terms that crafting is a poor way to make a living in the game. But I enjoy it, so I subsidize by adventuring.

StrangerDiamond likes this.
  19. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Maybe RNG shouldn't be the be all, end all when it comes to crafting. Something like vanilla EQ2 or Vanguards ideas could help with some of the problems this game's set-up faces.

StrangerDiamond likes this.
  20. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I like when recipes are not teachable. If they were, they would not be rare.

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.