Bounty system - a try

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by CatweazleX, Jun 4, 2018.

?

Please check one option only per block

Poll closed Jun 18, 2018.
  1. Bounties should be COTO only. Players buy COTOs themself

30.0%
  2. Bounties should be COTO only. Given gold is exchanged to COTOs by the "service"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bounties should be in gold. This allows lower bounties

40.0%
  4. --- divider --- (checking this adds -20 int to your stats)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bounties should expire after 3 month

10.0%
  6. Bounties should expire after 2 month

20.0%
  7. Bounties should expire after 1 month

20.0%
  8. Bounties should never expire

30.0%
  9. --- divider --- (checking this adds -20 int to your stats)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Bounty system should be fully user driven

10.0%
  11. Bounty system should be user driven but tools should be provided by the system

50.0%
  12. Bounty system should be fully system driven

10.0%
  13. --- divider --- (checking this adds -20 int to your stats)

10.0%
  14. No! No bounty system at all

10.0%
  15. Please no bounty system. To much risk. I am the hunter. I want fun & gravestones only

10.0%
  16. Yes! I have an alt and can charge twice the ones that reported me. Thumbs up

30.0%
  17. Regardless of misuse, lets try it.

30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Hi,

i want to try to implement a user driven bounty system.

- Everyone can give a bounty for a head.
    - All bounties for one head are summarized
    - The one who brings the head is rewarded with the bounty for this head
    - Each wanted one gets a flyer on a message board, containing the name, the actual bounty and the reported kills
    - This flyer is send to the head owner as trophy when the bounty is resolved
    - You can not bring in your own head
    - Collected heads are presented to the public*
    -.To add a bounty the name, the time and location (instance name) of the kill is needed. Best look up in the chat log file.
    - Bounties can given in person or send in using the in-game mail system
    - minimum bounty is 2400 gold
    - there is a service fee of 240 gold per report

* i want to send the head back to his owner but this will end up rewarding the same head endlessly

Since no-one can divide gold into stacks - one for bounties, one private - it may is a good idea to use COTOs instead. This can be stored in a chest. COTOs are obtainable from player vendors.

I also ask to wait at least 24 hours before you report someone. That should reduce rage reporting.

There is no way to differentiate between "stock" heads and "fresh" heads. To make it more difficult to bring heads already in stock may all 3 body parts have to brought in. (Please comment in this thread)
    (This will not prevent using an alt to commit suicide)

Given bounty is listed here in to forum including name of the reporter also time and location of the kill. On request the name is shown as Anonymous and/or time + location is left blank. I also record it on my PC to keep track.
    Also listed here in the forum is the one who brought in the head.
    Time and location may be needed if there are questions and help from Port. is needed, so they can easier look up their logs.

There is the possibility that the wanted one is never caught. So bounties may expire and the given bounty is returned.

I want to invite other players do bring up a bounty service also with common rules.

If nothing goes wrong the service can start at 06/18. But there are questions left...

Please feel free to comment this. Tell me how to hack this and make the bounty system useless. Provide additions.

More to read: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/suggestions-for-pvp.126553/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    majoria70 and nonaware like this.
  2. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I'm at work, so no lengthy post, just a few additional ideas.

• Attach timestamp to head
    • Transform used heads into deco only item (like crystal sword replica, or frostgeist skulls)

3. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

I would like if a bounty system was tied together with a virtue system. This could include game mechanisms to give more incentive for hunting avatars with a lengthy record of unprovoked killing or stealing. Not to stop them from doing it, just put a bit of a target on their back. Although pvp is so sparse anyway, so it would have to be better promoted even before this was implemented.

If the bounty system is purely player driven, I don't see that it will have anything to do with order and justice, only a fun little game for rich people. And I want it to tie in with the SOTA world and society, not just as a separate mini game.

4. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

I can not mark a head with a timestamp or something else. The second point is a nice idea to give the wanted one his head back. On request and payment the head can be crafted to a skull candle or skull goblet. In this case the head can not be "used" twice.

Added a link to the post containing more information.

5. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Oh boy, you are aware that this will spawn an flourishing trade of bodyparts/friends cashing in for the one the bounty is on?

It was tried again and again and everytime abbolished because the victims (bounty payers) ended paying the one the bounty was on.....

Then, it encouraged PK to randomly kill, as higher the bounty as higher the cred, bounty lists replaced the scoreboards on homepages, in pk circles you where a nobody until the bounty on your head reached the four digit regions...

6. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Yes, you can also vote for this.
    I am also happy about the ones that have truthfully have chosen this point.

Yes, the system will destruct itself on to be selfish and / or rage. Both scales are human actions.

I should mention that a flyer can be signed with a UUID that the genuine of it can be proofed.

However i should take your words serious. At the current state and the option to raise the bounty can lead to the point that the PvP'er that do not like the PK-playstyle finally leave the unprotected world.
    It is possible to give bounties for the ones that do not get reported for a given time, to have a counterweight. And also opens a way to reward a non PK-playstyle.
    But i expect that no-one give in a name and COTOs as a reward for non PK'ing. (Or be good enough to circumvent reporting)
    To get this bounty the one have to be in unprotected state for the given time.

I want to add this to the questions, does this delete the already given votes?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

No idea, never used the feature.
    It is one of the ideas that are in theory grande but implementing it proofed very very difficult because people managed to either game the sythem and gain from it (like, the wrong people) and as said, high bounty on your head = street cred.
    I would applaude if you manage to implement an systhem that works, just not optimistic that it can be done at all in an way that prevents "fraud" or turns it into an PK leaderboard.

8. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

Will just get abused. Go out kill a bunch of new players and rack up a sizable bounty and get my guild mate to cash in on it and split the rewards. On second thought implement it. Put in an option if your bounty get's high enough that you can't unflag or go into private and when you are killed your character is deleted, but not your stuff, hardcore for SoTA this way we can just get rid of the pesky small portion of the overall game population called PVP'ers and Portal can stop wasting their time developing content for them when the majority want more quest, deco, emotes, dance parties, and pavers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.