Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R54 feedback - mostly unfinished but developer friendly

Discussion in 'Release 54 Feedback Forum' started by mike11, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

So, I managed to spend a few sessions on r54 this past weekend. I have been away from the game for some time now (almost a year I think) and find myself still evaluating some of the basic features in the game. I continue to evaluate basic game features and systems and althouth my perspective is refreshed I still find reasons to question the way certain features are in the game.

So I didn't really get too much done as I spend most of my time in only a few towns, encounters and areas.

= Overworld = really hope the developers plan to buckle down on overworld and get some good features in. I think that they have tried to make the OW seem fluid and natural but have made it feel incredibly stiff and limited. Initial encounter are functional and thats about it. Seriously implement the player feedback for Overworld.

Overworld Deck - please for the love of god, build a Overworld deck for us.

Deck Building - I can't help but think there are too many abilities that can go into the combat decks. There are specific abilities which should not be allowed. Overall, I find that building decks is too open-ended. I feel overwhelmed with choices. On a positive note I am happy to find that I can now fully untrain all unwanted Glyphs and skills.

= combat decks=
    - too many choices
    - unsure as to the weight given to abilities when they are assigned to slots, locked, or not. Should abilities draw faster/slower depending on how they are placed?

= Abilities =
    - Mindwipe - Can now act to steal your abilities glyphs and which results in your enemy losing glyphs or having them be re-arranged, and your glyphs are also refreshed. (this could somehow be implemented by any Focus skills as an option)

- Distract - possible can make the distinction between a NPC doing something or doing nothing. eg. A bard that is playing a song vs a NPC standing there, thus, giving more/less weight to the xp of Distract when it is used.

- Camoflage - It seems that when using Camoflage that there should be a hit to heath and focus regen while camoflaged. It doesn't seem right to use camoflage then sit there silenty still gaining hp and focus like normal.

- There is a real need to have a improved way to stack or discard glyphs which is easy to use and doesn't use too much on-screen focus. The combat experience seems confused by this action vs strategy subject.
    An suggestion for a easy to use method would be to hold a glyph and after a certain amount of time it will absorb other abilities of same kind (autostack). Other suggestions I have had would be to utilize some kind of mouse swiping action there.

= Encounters =
    I feel that these really need a timer which once expired puts you back on the overworld. I spent far too long in a single encounter, and actually continued one from the previous session. I think the encounters should be designed for short term experiences only.

- As mentioned, the overworld aspect of encounters is extremely bare-bones and needs a lot of player suggestions implemened.

= Overworld =
    - A nice feature would be to have some things to see off in the distance. Currenlty all the water is completely barren of anything and nothing to been seen anywhere.
    - I find the sense of verticle (z axis) actually hurts the experience on the overworld due to the way the player controls the avatar here. Also contributing is the fenced-feeling.

= GUI Abilities =
    I was thinking it would be nice if there was a toggle button on the skills area ("k") to switch to a page where some text about the skill tree and some art is displayed.

- It seems like a major design flaw to not allow Glyphs placed in the secondary bar to not be used in combat. The impression I get is that this is a critical issue and needs to be sorted out.

= Journal =
    - Journal search would be handy

= Gathering GUI =
    - please implement player suggestions here of showing your tool and a visual indication of it's state of durability. Eg. It shows getting wore down and broken, and when you cause damage to it it shows it getting nicked (with sound)

= Death mode =
    - I might be cooler if the ghost looked more like a gaseous being than a outline of a skinny human.
    - more things to do in death mode
    - more interesting respawn nodes (with other possible challenges)

= Crafting GUI =
    It would be really nice to have drag-n-drop support for moving items into other GUI's.
    eg. shift-Lmouse+drag - puts selected items into location after confirming the amount of the stack. Effectively cutting out an extra step of the GUI.

= Ores = - As a small suggestion for Tin, Tungsten and any other 'ore' which doesn't have "ore" in it's name, to have it added to it. eg. Tin Ore, Tungsten Ore, etc.

= toggle target =
    - This mode seems like it would be better suited if it was a hold only mode, I often find myself 'stuck' in one mode or another by accident. (like when I first come back to the game after months off)
    - switching back and forth moves your cursor in a distracting way

= where to go from here ? =
    My suggestion to the developers is to start building content which can act like encounters, as opposed to building dozens of new zones to explore. Why? Encounters are what is going to be most pressing for players in there regular doings. Need to go from town a to dungeon b? A encoutner is going to occur at least once.
    -Encounters could act for large towns which can get them
    -Encounters could act as pvp (friendly or hostile) by allowing players to enter existing encounters
    -Encounters for town and castle sieges (talk about completely new concepts here)
    -Encounters that can be designed by players via contest events (Unity Jam)
    -Can be low tier or high tier
    -private party camp encounters
    -etc..

cheers

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Camouflage shouldn't even exist in the first place.

Glyphs that can be combined together have a green border around them.

Default settings:
    • CTL-# will discard the glyph on slot #.
    • Pressing and holding down the slot # will allow you to press another slot # to combine both glyphs.
    • You can also press R to enter "combine mode" that'll allow you to combine two glyphs together. The mode is a toggle that stays until two glyphs are combined. Press R again to cancel.
    • You can use the mouse to drag and drop glyphs on top of each other on the action bar.
    I'm not sure what you mean by making it easier to use...

3. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Yes, I am aware of those methods. I mostly find them quite awkward to use beyond stacks of 2. All of that player attention to that area of the screen is WAY to complicated in action RPG combat.

What I mean making it easier to use is trying to come up with more of a solution than learning to play or game the beta more efficiently. I am not interested in learning to outplay the pre-alpha limitations.

There could be much more fancy 'bells and whistles' to it while simultaneously simplifiying things a great deal. We (players) get absolutely NOTHING as far as help to aid us in work in-game and work in-deck. Why not give us some extra something now and again.

(example) It would be so awesome if we could tap a glyph (seeing as now we lvl 80 at it) and since we have 3 of them up now have a chance to auto combine 2 or more of them. What would be the point of ever wanting to use only a single stack of any combat ability?

Many MMO's are standardized to the one-button-push = one action. It shouldn't really matter if that action is weak or strong. There is still dozens of other factors at play as to why that particular ability is going to be effective or not. BUT no, we have to stack each and every glyph manually... Boring

(getting a bit of track now)

The whole concept is simply oozing of awesome ideas to use which take cool things from the basic elements;
    Glyph/Card dealing/dropping system which is randomized by ;
    Luck - roll of dice or shuffle of deck - which could be gamed to a extent by competent player (ie cardshark or shady)
    Reagents - adding reagents to spells in more realtime / active manner.

Each of these draws inspiration for previous Ultimas, conjurs audio and video themes, possibly suggesting to being implemented as a third mana-type pool (eg luck points/mana/special). They all have special meaning to us, but the current system is randomize everything. Guh!

It's very uncommon these days to find combat that is lacking fancy GUI elements these days.

4. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Portalarium: Please dont dumb down or limit the glyphs we can put into decks. I enjoy the variety and flexibility.

5. Gix

Gix Avatar

@mike11 I understand what you're saying, now. While I agree with the general premise, that would take (yet another) combat overhaul.

There's a side of me that enjoys the idea of having characters that are beating others in combat by numbers alone, while other characters win by player skill. It doesn't befit a Role Player Game (due to the constant need to focus on the action bar) but, as a video game, I think it's quite a good and flexible system.

I would rather not waste all my glyphs/stacks on a target that's low on health. If you're tanking, being able to hit Taunt on multiple targets would be a great boon but you can't do that if they're all auto-consumed on a single target.

If stacking glyphs was significantly more powerful (increasing the output including the amount of targets affected), I could see the change being for the better... it would make players want to wait for more glyphs to pop up vs being able to react immediately.

But even then, you'd have to automate the combos (otherwise, what's the point?) and more often than not, I don't want to lose my glyphs to build a combo... imagine creating a Skeleton Mage when you wanted a Skeleton Warrior... and it did because the intellect buff just happened to show up when you casted the summon.

... it would make you wary of your skills on the action bar even more. You identify the skill you want to use but now you'd have to check to make sure it's not going to combo with anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.