Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Logging on after a hiatus

Discussion in 'Release 54 Feedback Forum' started by Quenton, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Came back to try the new changes.

I log on in Britanny. I'm always lost in Britanny, but I read there was a way to fast travel around - I can't remember how. I remember there was a change to asking NPCs "where is blah blah" so I try that. I ask a guard where is the exit, where is the entrance, how do I leave, where is the blacksmith, where is the bank - he doesn't understand what I'm talking about. I ask a "traveller" they start off with "My name is Traveller." and similar answers. Nobody knows what I'm talking about. I eventually find my way to gate to Britanny Estates and remember how hopelessly lost in loading screens I used to get and am pleasantly surprised to find I can fast travel to Novia from this gate now. I'm not sure if that's what the r54 fix was, but either way that's a huge Britanny buff.

I logged on to try get into combat, but now it's dark, and darkness in the game is as bad as it ever was. Instead of looking for a fight, I wander around a bit and enter Minerva's player owned town (the one with the unpronounceable name, Monkeysmack lives there, that's all I remember). I spend some time there and look for some bargains and try to leave. I can't leave, I can't find the exit. Also it's still dark, and night sight - the better of the two light spells - is still as annoying as ever with its incandescent green. I decide my only option besides a recall is to run in a random direction until I hit the town's edge and warp out. I'm running and running and running and it is much longer of a run through empty space than I thought. My night sight spell wears off and I keep it off because now darkness is the lesser of the three evils between light and night sight and darkness. Eventually I run far enough and I'm out.

And outside of the town, it's automatically broad daylight. Great! Combat time. Except er, I don't know the area around Britanny well enough to know where a low to mid tier combat area is. I could run all the way through a pass, but passes suck, so I don't bother. I eventually run up to Kiln because there's a quest there, but it's besieged and sieges suck.

At this point I log off, being unable to get anything I planned to do done. Light and sieges and town markers and any markers are all still such a pain, all still such basic things that should be looked at when a release comes out. Not the decorations, not the scene polish. Basic gameplay stuff. I don't know when I'll be logging on again.

bloodydragon likes this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Welcome back!

While trying to remap the town layouts and such.. press "M" to use in-game mini map.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome back and if you point at any towns name it lists what is in it and the tier, plus the skeleton heads on a pole hint of difficulty. All towns whether Player owned towns or adventure scenes will list what is in them or at least give you an idea. By pointing at the name of a town It will show words to you like whether there are quests, merchants and which ones, devotionals, oracle building etc.

It sounds like you need a tour or someone to ask questions to. Hit me up in game anytime and I would be happy to help. I am Majoria in the game. Also because for some reason people are not pointing at thing to see descriptions. Hopefully we will get lore one day on lots of things like pointing at a fish will tell its weight and some lore about it like what type of climate you can find it in etc.

So anyway I did end up writing a book about pointing at signs in this game since what I hear over and over is that players say they think signs are just deco and don't even point at them as they run past. Bulletin boards are not read altho some of us list how-to instructions on them for others to help them. *sighs*, so fyi to all if you point at a sign you will see what they say. The same goes for most things in this game such as a book will show the title, a chest, a trunk, a bag, most any item will give you a description of it. Pointing at skill icons gives a description as well.

4. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I know how the map works and how to read tier signs. I know I could either look at those or google a list of towns and their areas, and the reason I headed to Kiln was because there were quests there.

The thing is I ran into oppressive darkness that I waited out in a town, I ran into sieges when trying to go look at a quest. I felt no urge to go to more effort to do such basic things like find a combat. I am absolutely not going to go looking for a book.

The point is that the game actively stops you from playing the game.

zyxe likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Lol I wasn't telling you go look for a book. It seemed like you were saying that you were lost and confused. And all this darkness you are experiencing did you try adjusting brightness and the slider in your settings? We also have looking for group now under alt f. Do you want help or not or do you just want to play alone? I'm not saying some things don't need improved but if you can't get past your initial stops you may not see some things that have come in, thus I offered to show you or help you.

6. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

If you have issues with the darkness of the night I suggest you use 'Night Vision'
    ( I think that is the name). First Skill on the top of the MOON tree. Easy to get and helps by making the scene appear as if you are wearing night vision googles. (like the SWAT team/military use)

Beaumaris and Jaesun like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

...unless you're on Linux.

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Greetings! Have you tried using the light spell in the sun school of magic? The night vision glyph in the school of moon? Or a torch or lantern?

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Well, this is at least working in Brittany Estates.

[​IMG]

Jaesun likes this.
  10. Gix

Gix Avatar

You guys should pay more attention to the OP:

That suggests that he knows and tried the spells.

Night time is a GAMEPLAY problem. If you rely on stealth, you CANNOT SEE unless you willingly play with a green filter for half an hour, every hour as every other option will break your stealth. It is asinine!

In the OP's particular situation, he should've used a handful of torches... but it doesn't really change much of the OP's main thesis: having the constant feeling that the game is purposely hindering your play experience.

There's an encounter that has a single skeleton warrior separated from a group of cultists around a bunch of pillars. It's already annoying considering the encounter pulls you out of whatever you were set out to do but, whatever, you attempt to deal with it. The skeleton is easily dispatch-able, the cultists are slightly more dangerous considering there are five of them. The instant you kill them, however, three lich proceed to over-power what remains of your health bar.

So it goes from, green, green x5, to RED x3. Or is that Richard Garriott's idea of a trap?

Yes... time to log off, indeed.

Quenton likes this.
  11. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

@Quenton Be sure to try again after this latest patch today, the combat is much smoother now with the changes to leave combat timer after sheathing weapon.

I would say the game is easily 20x more fun now.

As for your experience in being unable to find the exit to the zone, I had that same problem on my latest new Avatar. I eventually logged out, and on login I was able to just exit to the worldmap.

12. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

This is the core of the post.

I'm a mage (they call me Quenton the mage, look at my portrait, that's me in my robe), I know the spells, especially basic light spells. I've never tried torches admittedly - but it's absurd that that's the solution.

Exiting to the world map because you're lost because you can't see properly is an absurd solution, it's a meta workaround to an ongoing problem. Inherently immersion breaking.

As I said in the original post, combat was the reason I logged in in the first place, and I couldn't get that far without putting up with this.

Gix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.