Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Charged shots issues (ranged)

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by Mishikal, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

When you disable auto attack so that you can charge up your arrow (left mouse button), there are a number of problems with how it is implemented and/or functions in the game:

a) If your mouse cursor is over any sort of interactive object (Torch, chest, corpse, etc), it won't charge your shot. This is particularly frustrating when fighting in enclosed spaces (hallways, etc, that have doors and/or lanterns) or large groups of mobs (as your cursor may trivially go over a corpse)

b) If you start to charge /immediately/ after firing a glyph based attack (such as rapid fire, aimed shot, etc), it may not work (This one seems timing related and is harder to reproduce)

c) Sometimes after firing a glyph shot, you have to "bump" off a shot (quick left mouse button press/let go) before you can charge again. Especially if you have charged a shot but not yet fired it, and then hit a heal glyph, and then go to charge a shot back up -- You'll almost always have to "bump" off a shot before you can charge again.

d) As I reported before, some charged shots still just "disappear"

Rentier, Archer and HuntedHunt like this.
  2. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

A separate issue that contributes to this overall problem is mouse cursor drift. This seems to be a Unity specific bug. One second your mouse cursor will be, say, near the bottom left of your screen, then next thing you know, it's in the middle of the screen w/o you moving the mouse. Which often ends up being on top of a corpse, etc. I constantly have to figure out where in the world my cursor has gone to so I can get it back off of interactive objects in the middle of fights, which is extremely frustrating.

Taki likes this.
  3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I spent a lot of time playing over the weekend, and found the following:

a) The situation is much worse when your attack glyphs are locked (I.e., aimed shot, rapid fire, etc). For whatever reason this causes the game to often fail to respond to holding the mouse button down to charge shots (free attack). After switching back to an unlocked deck, my incident rate decreased significantly (But still happens often enough to be frustrating)

b) If your cursor goes over a party member, sometimes you cannot charge shots

c) There are some surfaces that block your ability to charge shots OR use glyphs. I.e., nothing works until you get your cursor off that surface. I found this out in a hallway in The Rise which was not particularly fun. It happened to both me and my party member on many different occasions. It involves being pressed up against a wall (generally to get a clear shot at an NPC that's at an angle from you outside a doorway). This bug is particularly nasty.

Rentier likes this.
  4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

New one -- If your mouse cursor ends up over an item being tracked on the right hand side of the UI, you will not be able to charge a shot. This again is a problem due to the cursor drift I discussed previously.

Rentier likes this.
  5. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

A) Written up as bug # 60029. Luckily this one is very black and white.

B) We need more info on this. Are you hard targeting or soft targeting? The more specifics we have the more we can see this through your eyes...are you hitting the global cooldown? Repro steps will be great if you happen to get a scenario down. Combat can has a ton of factors involved in it, and everyone's playstyle can be different.

C) I think this is the '5 Charge bug' as we call it, when it starts to charge when it shouldn't and you have to 'bump off a shot' as you state to get it to work correctly again. Does this sound famiilar? Repro steps on this one will be great if possible.

D) This is another one we may need a step by step repro for. Describe the who, what, when and where. Describing the exact situation as you faced it when it does trigger may help us get a better grasp on this.

For these reasons, we highly recommend using the /bug report and filling out those values. It helps us break down that info we need anyway for the JIRA :)

Thanks for the help....for the record, I did spent a good time at this trying to break it all down for further throubleshooting. I know some bugs by nature are inherently hard to nail down, and for us, it's no different - we're all in the same boat there.

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Lexie Thanks for looking into this!

For B) I always do hard (locked) targeting so that I can focus on taking down a specific NPC. My experience is generally charged/free attacks aren't subject to the glyph cooldowns? Generally, I charge a shot, let go, hit a glyph, charge up the next shot immediately. This works most of the vast majority of the time, but not all the time. If it was a global cooldown issue, I should hit it nearly all the time.

For C) I don't think it could be the 5 charge bug because when I was using the locked deck, I still didn't charge up the glyphs to full power. I'd just hit the button (#1 or #2 in my case) to fire off a shot as quickly as possible and be able to do it multiple times. I also never stack my glyphs when playing with an unlocked deck. I have seen an issue every once in a while when I hit a buff glyph that is locked, and instead of it immediately casting, it runs up to a full 5 charge and won't do anything until I fire it off. This is definitely not that.

For D) I don't know exactly how to provide much more detail, but it's basically this: I have an NPC targeted. Scene is immaterial. I have charged my free attack up all the way. The NPC is standing in front of me. I release the mouse button. The arrow flies.. and disappears. Nothing is logged in the chat window (not a miss, etc). It literally just.. disappears before hitting the NPC. I can't find any rhyme nor reason to this behavior. :/

Here's my /bug info, although the area information here is generally not applicable since it's happening for me in all scenes. ;)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8) System RAM: 32705
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU RAM: 4053
    SotA.Win.64.791.Date.06.06.18
    Area: Novia_R2_Hills01_CragFoothills
    Area Display Name: Crag Foothills
    Loc: (-165.2, 62.3, 1.3)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjJfSGlsbHMwMV9DcmFnRm9vdGhpbGxzfHwoLTE2NS4yMzgsIDYyLjI3MiwgMS4zMzgpfCgwLCAwLjgzNSwgMCwgMC41NTEpfDExMy4xNTk5fDEwfDguMjQ3NjQy

Rentier likes this.
  7. HuntedHunt

HuntedHunt Avatar

C) repro is charging free attack, then interrupting it by casting a glyph. You can now release the attack key and it won't fire because it was interrupted. Next free attack charge will not charge up, but will fire a 0-charge free attack on mouse up.
    Same situation can occur with interruption from other sources, such as looting a body while a charged free attack is held etc.

B) happens a lot for me as I release a charged shot, tap a locked glyph, then immediately charge a new charged shot. It seems very similar to C) except that the first free attack is let go around the same time as the glyph is pressed, so both attacks fire off correctly, but it's like the first free attack still counts as interrupted so the next free attack attempt never charges up (but isn't itself interrupted since releasing the button will still fire an uncharged free attack)

These are different from A) in that for A) you have the free attack key held and move/turn away from the interactable and it immediately starts charging correctly. For B/C, it will never charge until you release (which shoots an uncharged arrow) and re-press.

D) happens mostly for me when I'm trying to engage a new opponent. I'm definitely in range/sight when I let loose my charged free attack since the next shot I fire from the same position will hit the stationary enemy, but the first free attack often 'whiffs' as if I'd been out of range when shooting. Fairly hard to repro, but happens to me quite often after moving fast between spawns, as if it's sometimes taking a previous position instead of the current position when you release the charged shot, thus counting it as out of range?

Rentier and Mishikal like this.
  8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Interesting.. I mostly notice (D) in the middle of fights, rather than at the beginning.

Rentier likes this.
  9. HuntedHunt

HuntedHunt Avatar

Now that I think about it, it did used to happen mid-fight a lot more when I used light armour and moved more near cover. Since I moved to heavy armour recently I tend to move around far less during combat.
    Any obstacles/terrain changes nearby that might count as the current target being out of line of sight, even for a moment? Or does it happen in fully open spaces too?

Rentier likes this.
  10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

It happens with direct LoS and no obstacles, and without moving the next charged will hit it. ;) It can happen randomly multiple times in the same fight w/o movement going on.

Rentier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.