Time for fast travel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by E n v y, Jun 17, 2018.

?

Should SotA have fast travel with runebooks and the ability to mark locations.

Poll closed Jul 5, 2018.
  1. Yes.....It's supposed to be a spiritual successor so why go backwards.

61.9%
  2. No.....I prefer walking.

38.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draugur2

Draugur2 Avatar

Ppl acting like it even takes a long time to get across the world. :confused:

2. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

if i travel sub world i can go from city to city without OW, why can i not go through zones on the surface to travel from city to city...
    Overworld is the reason i love scrolls, no need to pop on it and run around encounters.
    Long road zones with sometimes an bandit popping out of the bushes though would be ok with me

3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I'd rather have tiny load times than fast travel, having a world worth exploring might make me walk around more too but as it is I don't like exploring a disjointed lagfest with a subpar story.

4. Daedwax

Daedwax Avatar

I'm perfectly happy with Runebooks and binding runes being a thing in Shroud of the Avatar. I'd also be very happy if they altered the way the lunar rifts currently function and made them more viable. I'd be even happier if the over world map had more life to it. In an older version their was a fog of war, birds fly around and chirping, and a travelling merchant.
    Older version showing what i'm talking about visible in first 14 seconds.

discipleofweb and FrostII like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@E n v y - Agree completely . As it stands now, I'll never visit 95% of all the POTs because of the ridiculous amount of time involved both on the overworld. the load times and long runs once you get there. If you have a crafter in a far off POT that has great deals on your vendor, there's almost zero chance that I'll ever know about them, or find them, and their prices must be truly awesome or I won't bother - which is a huge problem for all.

Under the current system it's just like @Fungus said below:

Witcheypoo, Fungus, Brugas and 3 others like this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Agree completely, @kaeshiva ;)

Witcheypoo likes this.
  7. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I like the idea of runes being crafted and usable a limited amount of times, like 10. That way they can be added to the player economy. We can recall to our home point, or use a teleport scroll on a rune. Piece of cake problem solved.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  8. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

I disagree, Runebooks were introduced as a quality of life improvement to those who had backpacks and backpacks of runes marked to different locations. We always had the ability to mark individual runes with locations and rename them to recall back to them later, it's never been a bug. The only caveat with rune mark/recall was to recall to the same zone that you were currently in (ie britannia (trammel/felluca), Lost lands or ilshenar). In Ultima VII there was a single mark/recall spell that allowed you to mark a single location and recall to it later, perhaps you're thinking of that?

Darg.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You're entitled to your own opinion. Not your own facts.
    This is simply Not True. In it's Original Implementation the Mark/Recall spell in UO allowed you to stand on a spot, and mark that spot. You could then recall to that spot, and Only that single spot, until such time as you traveled to a different spot, and marked that one... At which point the previous mark was lost.
    Not possible, as I never played Ultima VII. Also if my description of how Mark/Recall worked originally in UO matches, exactly, how it worked in Ultima VII, a game I never played, that actually lends support to my version of history.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Nietzsche likes this.
  10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

OP: No.

Before this is ever a "thing", give me horses, or in another Kickstarter promise not yet delivered, sea-going travel scenes, where I might have to "defend my vessel".

Chatele and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  11. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I never played UO, I believe I missed out. I really enjoy SOTA, which is described as a 'spiritual successor' to UO. I've never fully understood what this means, it may have something to do with the original aspirations vs subsequent licencing realities, but from what I've read SOTA wasn't intended to be a technically updated copy of UO.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's actually, consistently described as the Spiritual Successor to the Ultima Series, including UO. The Ultima Series being some Dozen or so titles, of which UO was One.
    The UO Mavins pervert that into Spiritual Successor of UO and conveniently ignore the other titles.

Nietzsche, Elwyn and Steevodeevo like this.
  13. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

*Shrugs* whatever ye say there friend.

But I'll just leave this patch note from 1997 where it speaks of runes which were clearly my own personal fiction

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Ultima_Online_Patch_Notes_for_10/29/1997

Just a few months after launch. I can probably find the one for runebooks too if I'm bored enough :D

Darg.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Witcheypoo and FrostII like this.
  14. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

As stated previously in this thread, I feel boat links between the coastal towns would be a good idea.

The fact that I can't take a boat from Ardoris to Aeire is ridiculous. There is a ship captain in Aeire that boasts of his explorations to lands unknown and frequent trips to Ardoris if my memory serves me correctly.

The sea be a pathway, not a hindrance. If we can sail from Exceter to Xenos, Kingsport to Brittany, etc. we should be able to sail to all major coastal towns. The towns should be available through a drop-down menu once a ferry is selected.

This would be a good compromise IMO.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

In U7, you could mark a virtue stone at a spot, then by using recall on that stone, you could return to that spot. There were 8 stones, so you could store 8 locations.

Witcheypoo, Jaesun and Tiki Pirate like this.
  16. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Maybe completing a quest for the caretaker of a virtue shrine would let you bind to it - or earn an extra bind point of your choosing, in addition to your home.

Witcheypoo and Jaesun like this.
  17. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Started playing UO in January of 1998 (would have been Dec 97, but I needed a better system than I had) and not once do I ever recall (no pun intended) seeing that the way Mark/Recall worked in UO was ever a bug. I do know that several runes became blocked or invalid due to where they went (Green Acres, Star Room, exploitable/griefable locations), but not that Mark/Recall were meant to work as they did in U7. If you can provide the states/patch notes/etc that support this theory (and not "a game I never played") it would help your argument better than the opening pithy statement.

18. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

There might be a hint of truth about the runebooks part tbh as a few things made it into the official game as a result of exploits, bugs or hacks such as the true black dye tubs.

Though I remember then being a feature of this dawn, perhaps even mid T2A.

Anyway, the patch notes on my response confirm I'm not mental.

... Or at least not where this particular bit is about!

Hylax and FrostII like this.
  19. 3devious

3devious Avatar

If you hang with us, you're mental.

Dargalin likes this.
  20. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

LOL, spin it how you want like most people I saw the website / in game message as you log in and stated times, hell we even had a discussion in guild how much they'd raise and we weren't far off either.

Long and short of it is most the new folks joining seem to fall off pretty quick, maybe they aren't old school Ultima lovers that prefer the pain, sorry I mean immersion of walking around a map every time having grown up on Fortnite but even us old souls want quick transport around the world as that's got old already to us too.

Lots of 'friends' on my list added purely to simplify playing / accessibility and 75% never seem to be online anymore and I add folks all the time so as to ensure I can get to X Y or Z. If the rate I can add fresh 'friends' who play drops and I can't port around and have to rely on running round, the game will grow stale very fast and I have 2 accounts with chars that I use purely to port to in emergencies.

I can actually see people using LFG to port to an instance then dropping group if it's not already going on.

Hylax and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.