Time for fast travel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by E n v y, Jun 17, 2018.

?

Should SotA have fast travel with runebooks and the ability to mark locations.

Poll closed Jul 5, 2018.
  1. Yes.....It's supposed to be a spiritual successor so why go backwards.

61.9%
  2. No.....I prefer walking.

38.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

Anyway, controversy and hubris aside, I feel better transport links between major cities, but perhaps only once you've completed the man paths.

Or mark and recall in the moon tree at a higher level, gate at the advanced level :)

Witcheypoo and FrostII like this.
  2. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

Ain't dat the truth!!

3devious and Steevodeevo like this.
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

If I could fast travel to any place I have already been to I would be online much more than I am now.

Witcheypoo, Lazlo, Fungus and 3 others like this.
  4. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Reading through those patch notes listed, I do see where they limited WHAT you could Mark to the Runes and of course blocked a few locations, but nothing that covers the debated here nature of the spells.

Although thanks for the link, it may be a fun read just to go back through all of the old UO Patch Notes. I know a LOT of what was added when has gotten fuzzy and probably mixed up in memory over 20 years' worth.

Dargalin likes this.
  5. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

A lot of good suggestions in this thread. No offense, but the poll is not really fair as it is a bit absolute in it's choice. Of course no one wants to walk everywhere if given the choice. ;)

Besides, you can have a book ("friends list") full of runes ("friends"), but ordinarily runes won't talk back if you happen to speak to them.

2112Starman, Nietzsche and Elwyn like this.
  6. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

If I could fast travel to every place I have previously been, given I'm just about lazy enough to do so most of the time, I would miss out on all of the interaction and randomness in between locations and rapidly get bored and log in less.
    Some of the most immersive and fun stuff I do in SOTA is unplanned and spontaneous resulting from travelling round, exploring and adventuring. I killed my first Giant bumping into a fellow traveller on the Overworld who grouped with me, encouraged me to join him and we had a blast in the OW Giant instance down south.

I'm mot being critical of any poster
    , I'm just giving a random example of how we are all different and how much of this thread is subjective, largely opinion and preference, which is fine but is just that.

I believe the Overworld is a great potential 'canvass' for interactive and instanced adventuring going forward and as such it is a strength of SOTA not a weakness. I've played plenty of AAA MMOs over the years where travel times and associated tedium were really much worse.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Ryodin Stormwind, Nietzsche and Elwyn like this.
  7. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

It was more to check my own failing memory tbh when Rufus called BS on my disagreement of how UO worked. You're quite correct though it bears little on the current discussion.

8. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

each town gets a teleporter.

a teleport cost is by distance a base cost of one teleport scroll.

teleporting to different region(past control points) is a cost of 2x-5x base.

remove recall, or change to recall to nearest teleport not across map.

9. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

In regards to Fast Travel itself... I wonder the level of usefulness to abusable it would be that if you Recall from Point A in the world to your Bound location, then Recalled again from your Bound location if it should take you back to where you originally Recalled.

Example: You're in Graff Gem Mines and Recall to your House, then casting Recall again at your house puts you back in Graff Gem Mines.

It would be handy, but probably WAY to abusable.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Regardless of the origin of UO's unique... solution to Fast Travel, the effect it has is to turn the game into pockets of content, and what lies between those pockets is valueless... In UO if you asked someone how to get somewhere, they'd sell you a rune... If you Asked Them How to Get There without using a rune, they couldn't tell you.

This also has the effect of further deepening the gulf between the new player and the old, as the new player will be severely disadvantaged by their lack of an extensive runebook.

11. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I say: No...

I use the Rifts, I can tell time, now all I need is the mechanism they're working on, to direct the energy to whichever piller destination I wish... Oh, you hadn't heard: they're working on this, it's on the schedule...

Jaesun, nonaware and Steevodeevo like this.
  12. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Incidentally, have folks tried using a Potion of Wolf Speed when they plan to do a bit of travelling around on the overworld? It lasts 10 minutes and you move like stink on the OW after using one, and almost as fast 'off road' as on it. Its a great help, cheap as chips to obtain as well.

Woodchuck likes this.
  13. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm curious if you have a reference for this. I'm looking at the stretch goals - no mention of horses.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Mounts were offered up as one of the Stretch Goals for Episode 1, which would have been put on the schedule for episode one if they'd funded. None of them did.
    Mounts, and the other stretch goals are on the schedule for Episode 2.
    Mounts were never promised in any other context.

15. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I am in full support of fast travel. It's all well and good to have slow travel by choice... nobody here is making you teleport - you do that of your own volition, but to prevent others the option is just ridiculous.

There are two reasons for my desire to bring in a mark/recall option. The first is that I miss the great rune libraries of Ultima Online, this actually allowed me to experience far more of the land than I would have otherwise been able to due to the casual nature of my playtime. Secondly, for those of us who live outside of the USA, the loading screens can still take a considerable amount of time, 40 seconds to a minute per scene is not uncommon. For example, I live really close to Central Brittany (Serpent's Watch) and just exiting my town and entering Central Brittany is 2 minutes.

Witcheypoo, Fungus, Hylax and 2 others like this.
  16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

To those that concurred with the following logic:

It's just how you choose to look at the problem. Here's the other side of the coin:

Absolutely correct! You have the choice of NOT going to every player vendor in the world. You absolutely have the choice to be lazy! Nobody is forcing you to be able to shop at every single vendor in the world with instant convenience. It's absolutely your prerogative. This in fact, lends credence that the game's intended design for regional markets, is working!

If you can't make the effort to travel around, then by all means shop locally. Frustration and impatience is hardly an excuse to wreck the game by introducing a horrible mechanic that circumvents intended design elements nevermind also killing what little remaining genre integrity the game has left.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  17. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Woodchuck, I dont see how this could have an impact on how you play your game. It would however have a huge impact on my experience by removing a lot of loading screens and a friends list that has so many players that I have never even seen in the game that I use to teleport to.

Its logical to add a system to replace the friends teleport list, as the whole player base is currently using it.

18. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Should Eve Online implement teleporting to all the planets and stations and dispense with Space? Did Sid Meier's Pirates! Have a design flaw requiring people to sail around when they could have instantly traveled to the Islands and plot instances?

Silly? yes, but it's quite fundamental to consider the impact that instant travel to every relevant location (or adjacent to it) will have on the Overworld map and the core game concepts.

Taken to its logical conclusion instant travel to all towns negates the need altogether for the Overworld map. It's already a pretty lonely place due, in part, to the drop rate of scrolls. I used to have to buy or make scrolls but now I drop so many I haven't needed to resupply for weeks and I even teleport to different Britannia suburbs rather than use boats or caravans as I've got so lazy.

Elwyn likes this.
  19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Well, let's say we decide to embark on a quest as a group. Everyone zaps to the other side of the world where the entrance to the dungeon is, and I start running. Will you guys wait for me?

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Brilliant in-game solution. Just brilliant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.