Movement is very weird/hard

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Vesto, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vesto

Vesto Avatar

I spent an hour or so wandering around Highvale and I still cannot make any sense out of the movement controls. The WASD keys are obviously standard but the keys to turn left or right ([ and ])are on the other side of the keyboard. This means that I need to use two hands on the keyboard just to move around. Unfortunately I haven't found any keyboard keys to adjust the camera (to look up or down for instance). I'm finding that I need to keep reaching for the mouse to adjust the camera, especially after going up or down a hill or stairs. I end up staring straight at my feet until I reach for the mouse and adjust the camera again. I tried simply moving with the right mouse button but I find that even small movements jump my cursor all around the screen so I end up flailing around.

I also need to keep reaching for the mouse to interact with pretty much anything. The default "E" key doesn't seem to do much for me.

I assume that I'm missing some fundamental knowledge for how to move around and interact with the environment but all I can find in game is a list of keys and the actions they trigger. How are other people using the controls in this game?

2. Numa

Numa Avatar

I use the mouse to turn and the WASD keys to move. In non-combat mode the right mouse button let's me run.

3. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

you can also toggle the mouse to lock, and then the rt button will make you walk like in other rpg's...
    I set my toggle to the middle mouse button so I can play the entire game one handed if I want to be lazy...

4. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I always use the right mouse button to move forward and turn right/left with the mouse, then I can use the top row of number keys to attack.

I think this is called reticle mode - I have tab set up to toggle the cursor on and off if needed.

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I mapped my [ and ] to Q and E. I then mapped the E to become G I think, and so forth... remap the keys to something that makes sense to you! Mouselook is primarily how I move my head around though.

Gravidy likes this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The only reason I ever had to use the turn keys were when I had no mouse. Then I bound them to the left and right of the forward key.

Probably they are put all the way over there because they aren't used in 99% of cases, just for saving you when your mouse dies.

Nog likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You will get used to it well I hope:). I use the mouse and w and s and it's easy peasy but I'm used to it by now having been here since 2013. Good luck and welcome.

Nog likes this.
  8. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yeah, just need to reconfigure the keys to how you play. I was never a WASD player, which seems to have evolved from playing on keyboards in hotseat mode where one player had the directional keys and the other had left side of keyboard (WASD) for similar movements. I was a typist so use standard (ASDF) for my movement. Just gotta do what's best for you.

Also, have the key binding to toggle back and forth between mouse pointer mode and regular mode. Helps for a lot of little things like clicking on stuff or moving decorations around. If interaction with stuff is an issue, try swapping between the two and see if your mouse pointer turns green so you can interact with object and back to where you can use "E" or w/e your interface key is. For the looking around with camera, I usually use mouse and it spins in every direction you move it.

Luckily this game has a lot of options you can choose from for your style.

Aeryk likes this.
  9. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

Typists might find ESDF quite comfortable too. I map skills around that and am able to maintain hand position. When playing using the other hand (mouse on the left rather than on the right) IJKL works too.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I bought a mouse with buttons on the sides, mapped to a and d. Mapped center to s. The helps immensely, especially for confusion.

11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I map my thumb mouse button to the Interact Key(E by default), which makes it easy to open doors, loot containers/corpses,etc., and playing in Reticle Mode is what works for me to move around. The right mouse button will get you going forward, and then moving the mouse around will allow you to change directions. Like this you can also use the A/D keys to strafe, and you can use the S key to back-peddle if you need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.