Significantly speed up the game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haunted, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haunted

haunted Avatar

Significantly speed up the game depending on the amount of RAM you have and/or SSD drive.

Follow this link: https://vikingvpn.com/blogs/off-topic/how-to-run-steam-games-on-ram-drive

You do not need steam to use this method. Please make a backup of your game folder because if you shut off the computer while RamDISK is active on your PC you will have to download the whole game again.

It is ideal to have over 16GB of RAM to be able to run the entire game in memory while still having enough memory for the game to use while running. Sounds confusing heh.

If you do not have enough memory you can still use this method. In the ImDisk program the guide tells you to download, select run program in Virtual Memory. But before you do this make sure you have a big enough pagefile (30GB or more).

SoTA is around 9 gigs. So create a Ramdisk of about 12GB to make sure it fits in the disk. If for example you set the drive to 12GB and you have 32GB of system memory, that will mean that 18 - 20GB is free while the other 12GB is housing SoTA virtually.

As said before if you do not have enough memory, create a huge pagefile and create the ramdisk in virtual memory. This will still speed up the game play as the whole game is running in the pagefile.

Be wary that when you shut off your PC the ramdisk disappears and all the contents of it is gone.

Please follow the link to get started.

Hope this helps, it helped me :)

Woodchuck and Brugas like this.
  2. Derium

Derium Avatar

I was hoping this was a thread about making our characters move fast and make combat quicker paced. I was totally on board.

Bigg and Diab Blackbow like this.
  3. haunted

haunted Avatar

Haha that would be awesome, but this a hardware related post. Maybe I posted in wrong section.

Derium likes this.
  4. Floors

Floors Avatar

No new development, just bug fixes going forward after yesterdays company status post, so we might as well quit with the wishlist threads, no point anymore

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Thanks! I'm going to give this a try!

6. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Is this allowed?

7. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

No reason it wouldnt be your just holding the disk contents in Ram instead of on the hdd/ssd. Good old Ram drives, forgot about those , used to use them in the old Commodore Amiga days, now that was a decent os :)

Brugas likes this.
  8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I dont want to be a party pooper. But not really advisable to do that with such big data. That is not the purpose of a ramdisk.
    So now you have to wait 5-10 minutes every time when you want to start playing. Your system will start doing some maintenance internally because of RAM being almost full creating more internal latency on your windows system.
    Probably windows will think SotA has lower priority on the system processes creating a weird OS behaviour.

PS: You do know that a pagefile is on your disk, and speed will be the same as being on your disk.

hammadowna likes this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I remember RAM disks from around 1988 or so when I had 4 megabytes in a computer when the "normal" was 512K. (This was in a Mac, so it wasn't subject to Intel's goofy segmentation.) Now computers are able to take 32G-128GB when "normal" is 4-16GB. What's old is new again!

Seriously though, @Feeyo is right, that is how disk caching works. Or at least that's how it's supposed to work. I can remember always coming to work in the morning to find that Windows had aggressively paged everything out during the night and it took like five minutes before it was back to normal.

RAM disks are great when you never have to reboot your computer, or when they are stored externally from OS-controlled RAM, since it is hard to ensure that you get the same memory block and that it remains untouched while the OS boots. Even if it was done by the BIOS, you still have the problem of having to reload it after power loss.

10. haunted

haunted Avatar

Yes to pull this off requires a little work each time you want to start the game up.
    I do it every time just so I can play the game a little better than the regular setup.

And yes the pagefile is on the disk, but windows treats the pagefile with higher priority and the read/write with the pagefile is a lot faster. (This is what i read on the internet, can't confirm it to be true tho.)

I can confirm the game runs a bit faster with the pagefile method.

11. haunted

haunted Avatar

Yeah ramdisks! Reminds me of the MS-DOS days hehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.