1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Custom Avatar Head now Lord Forged Items

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Greetings Avatars,

When we first did our Kickstarter so many years ago one of the rewards we planned for was Custom Avatar Head for our Duke+ level backers described as: “Direct interaction with our team artists to model custom character features for your avatar's head, different from the avatars of all others (can be based on your own likeness; all avatar images must be approved by the development team).”

We have spent the last several years looking for any option that would be visually pleasing, non-performance impacting, and cost effective. Unfortunately we could not find a solution that met all those criteria. Most solutions would either take a very, very long time (internal resources) or be very, very expensive (external contracting), and none of them met the performance nor visual standards we wanted.

So we have decided to replace this reward with a different custom reward. Everyone eligible for this reward will now receive a custom created in-game item (decoration, weapon, or armor piece) with a custom name made by Lord British or Darkstarr. NOTE: The weapons and armor will NOT be created using any rare components (ex. Mossy Handle) but may use store or salvaged patterns.

Here is an example item:

[​IMG]

You will also receive a lovely “Lord Forged” physical certificate designed by Scott “Scottie” Jones and signed by either Lord British or Darkstarr (there will also be an in-game decoration of this item).

[​IMG]

There will be a webform linked from your account page where you can choose between three choices of item type (decoration, armor, or weapon) and creator (Lord British or Darkstarr). Items will be delivered as they are created on an ongoing basis. Certificates will be mailed at approximately the same time as the other physical goods but will be mailed separately.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for not being able to deliver the original reward as promised but we do hope that you will accept this new reward as a suitable and worthy replacement.

Any inquiries about further details can be posted here on this forum post or sent directly to support@portalarium.com.

2. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Question: As such a special item... Will this be treated as a "pledge" item that is endlessly repairable? Or will it slowly decay away?

3. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

The duke head was a cool reward, and I really wish I could have gotten mine. But I'd hate to see precious resources spent on creating something that would end up being sub-par. I'm very curious to see what we can come up with for this new reward.

4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

6. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I understand the reasoning for this decision, but it is disappointing. The custom avatar head was one the truly unique items that sold me on a high level pledge. I can live without it, but definitely don't feel as strongly about the replacement items.

7. Curt

Curt Avatar

I feels sorry for the dukes that's was surely a unique and interesting item for them.

We has currently still have very few customisations for characters. I would suggest you let the Duke+ send in some pictures each and use that as inspiration
    for the one responsible to create new hairstyles for example.
    That way they will be more likely to create something closer to what they desired if not a perfect match.

8. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I really liked the unique Duke Head. It was a highly visible and unique representation of the avatar and a large part of the reward package.

However, accepting we have time constraints there are many things I would love to see go into the game ahead of a few hundred Duke heads, nor would I want my custom Duke Head to affect performance of others in the scene.

The replacement item is not as awesome to me considering the value of existing current LB/DS artifacts out there... however the addition of the relatively unique in-game certificate mitigates this somewhat, so thank-you for including that.

Though wall certificates are rather easy to by-pass while walking about, I hope the certificate is visually distinct from existing certificates.

Though I wouldn't argue against a unique visual blackrock sword though instead of an existing item ;)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  9. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

This is a suitable replacement and I gladly accept the change with one caveat. I must echo the question of these being pledge items that can be forever repaired.

Thanks again, @DarkStarr

10. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Turn that frown upside down :)

Think of the cool weapon you can make!

11. Godra

Godra Avatar

stinks, but I do understand and very happy with the substitution.

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Huh. Week of bitter pills it seems. Got more news like that in the pipe?
    Non the less the substitutes seem nice. I am no Duke but I would take them instead of a custom head.

Cordelayne and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  13. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

*sighs*

Not gonna gripe about this since I am used to the face my character has anyway and all I wanted was a simple enhancement.

That said, the last thing I need is more armor I never wear. I don't need another shield to hang on the wall or even another certificate that can barely be seen when passing by.

I realize that re-skinning an existing object is easier than trying to create something truly unique, especially now that so many beloved devs have been let go, but really...there needs to be something more than this type of consolation prize. What that unique item could be I have no idea. What I might like others may not. But here are some thought off the top of my head:

1. A unique set of banners depicting one or more of the following:
    a special Duke Crest, a Lord British emblem, a Darkstarr emblem and perhaps the Titans and Oracle as well.

2. x-number of free visits to the "New You" shop that include some special features not available to anyone else. Could include:
    special hair styles, different hair colors, beauty marks, freckles, scars, tattoos, etc.

3. If you have to re-skin stuff, why not a special Duke throne where we can put the family name on it? Or a Duke table or Duke set of floor tiles? I could go on, but you get the idea.

---> I really am disappointed with this replacement using the same old, same old. I realize it is what it is so that's all I will say for now.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Perhaps more concern with the future of the game for now and revisit this later. Asking for more unique stuff isn't going to help with Port's need to reallocate human resources to essential things.

15. Lace

Lace Avatar

I like your options.

Sorry to be the sourpuss, but not very happy with this replacement. A piece of gear inferior to what I can make with stats I likely wouldn't have chosen had I made it?

meh.

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

As someone without a high-level pledge, I too am disappointed. It was a really cool idea. But I understand, it has problems with more effort than was expected, plus game performance issues. I suspect that all head models would have to be included in the game data, or something like that.

I do think that they should consider setting the item to a No Value like a reward item for eternal repair. That might be overpowered, but the custom heads were sort of overpowered in their own way.

But at least the last of the KS obligations are getting wrapped up one way or another, and now we can move ahead.

17. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Ouch. If you guys do a live stream tomorrow you will be on my list of people with youknowwhats of steel.
    Takes a lotof courage to break it to us like that. Stay strong guys. I'm pretty hard on you but I really want you to succeed (or else!)

18. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Since when are expressing concerns about this change and giving more creative *unique* options for the replacement mutually exclusive to being concerned for the future of the game? I would think that the people who have backed the game to a Duke level or LoTM would have, perhaps, even more concerns for the future of the game. I know I do.

Now perhaps you weren't referring to my post, after all you did not quote it. But your post follows mine and so I wish to assure you that I *do* have concerns for the future of the game.

It is my hope that Portalarium uses this situation (as well as no longer offering static towns) as a learning experience so they don't make offers and promises they cannot keep. I am not petty in thinking there is a better way to handle the replacement more creatively. They were just suggestions that will likely not happen and so be it. That will not silence me from expressing my thoughts and ideas.

19. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

I think long term there's always a possibility of coming back and honoring what was promised if the game succeeds, but if the near term isn't dialed in, the long term prospect of that happening won't come to fruition. That's how I read it, and I agree.

20. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Whoa.

edit to add:
    i publicize this game all over the place. i fight for it on reddit and steam. i livestream and i will be running a fansite for my city and for crafting.

at the end of the day, what has more value? who shows more concern? who has spent more energy?

i don't want to make this a contest, but that statement hits below the belt to me and others that may not have spent as much money 4 years ago but are passionate and supportive and spend many hours concerning the game.

another edit to add: i mean, people just lost their jobs and you're worried about your virtual hair.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.