Lord British, where are you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir Cabirus, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

*Yoink* Nothing to see here... I didn't quote the wrong person at all...

As far as delivery and how I feel about it, which is still relevant:

Are all the things that were promised during the kickstarter in the game? Not by a long shot!
    Do I hold the non-digital promises in my hands? No.
    Can I play the game? Yes, but it is arguably incomplete.

I know the OP personally, and deeply share his concerns. How does stating that the game has not shipped, when the evidence is clear, not support and expound on those concerns?

I still play the game, but refuse to visit the punch bowl for my dose of rat poison. Likewise, I refuse to call this seriously buggy, 3/4ths finished entertainment platform, that delivers the story (however much I liked it) in a way that is reminiscent of a video shot from a GoPro on the helmet of a child with severe ADHD, complete.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Nah, this was a better song.

I'm sure anyway Lord British isn't hiding from us. There's an off chance though he might have gone on an ill-fated expedition into the Underworld, only to be trapped by the Shadowlords in a magic mirror. That happens from time to time when you're the king.

3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Who stepped up in his name to lead the kingdom when that happened? Hmmm.... *grins*

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

No worries in either case, we'll see him on next livestream.

5. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I think you replied to the wrong person :p I didn't quote you..

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Ummm *wipes the egg off* no... no you didn't ;)

Still not backing down on the previous post, but let me... revise history...

7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

An addendum to this: there IS a strange comet in the night sky...

8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

And as we all know:

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Certainly,

Its good to be the king.

10. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

IMO one of the shortfalls in Portalarium’s communication is that it often relied on livestreams or discord - these are not properly documented and only reach a limited group.
    In critical times like this there needs to be timely and clear messages from the top. I believe even while @Lord British is not officially in a executive / developer role, most backers are here because of his past, Starr became producer later. Therefore I am with @Sir Cabirus and hope for statements & plans from RG

11. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Lol forum moderation deleting a UO9 quote. There you go why this game will never be a success.

They always feel hurt when people make fun. Thats quiet telling how THEY perceive the state of the game. If you can't take a joke that didnt even violate the rules in any form... It's over.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

I mean what possible good can come from chiming in on forum posts and telling everyone you had to lay off 16 people ? Nothing, that's what.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes communications are few and far between but perhaps he will show up to comment but something is going to be explained at the livestream tomorrow which may take more time to deliver. While it is frustrating I agree but it has not changed in all these years. All we can do is what Sir Cabrius did and ask again to hear whats up. Whether there will be an answer who knows. Those of us able to watch the livestream Will do our best to pass the word from it.

14. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Well, the fact that they had to cut down is known. Now the question is, what’s next? Is there a future and what will it look like. Unlike other companies or games Portalarium is dependent on public perception as their revenue is directly tied to gamers believing in a future of the game and enjoying it now (or investing in future fun)
    That is IMO why good crisis communication is key - and that usually needs to come from the top and be supported by aligned actions.

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I really want to stay out of this discussion but...
    Well Darkstarr ist the exec.prod. so that's exactly the source where this info had to come from.

16. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Ok, let's not start a discussion - Port does what Port deems right. I believe Starr (as executive producer) doesn't pull the same weight as LB. And Starr made his announcement which sparked threads for more background and guidance.

17. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

It would show that Richard 'Lord British' Garriott still has an interest in this game and his fans. Many people backed SotA because they are Ultima fans, it was the brand @Lord British which caused many people to support this game. Maybe a succesfull KS campaign for EP 2 is the only way to save this game and Portalarium. A single posting of @DarkStarr which is also signed in the name of Lord British is not enough in my opinion. Just my two cents.

18. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Uh... I’m right here! :) we have tons of methods of community contact from the forums to the game itself, various community sites, Facebook, Twitter, discord, twitch and others. The two I focus the most time in myself happen to be the game propper as a player / analyst / designer and Twitter as a listener and congratulator for People who complete the EP1 quest and tweet me as the game tells them to. Discord and the forums I try and visit, but ATOS and Starr do better than I do here.

But, this game, this team, this community, remains my number one focus and number one passion. While every member has a strong voice, my guidance remains through the ongoing polish of Episode one and setting the goals of Episode two!

I look forward to visiting with you all in game, on friday’s Live stream, or see me on Twitter, I am close to 100% on replies to tweets as I can only get short questions and only be expected to offer short answers.

- lord British

19. Lord British

To the specifics of where are we now and where are we going, give us at least a few days... we are still ironing out details, but broadly, of course we have taken a hit, but we have taken many through the years, and as before, we will work through this one as well!

Exactly what shifts in schedules and priorities will change is being worked out, but we think it will seem mostly like business as usual from the outside, or at least that is what we will try to accomplish, as best we can!

If we can fix our marketing strategy, which we can explain better after we have done much more analysis, we hope to rebuild past previous standards!

Time will tell!

Lord British

20. Lord British

We can, we will, not just make this work, but make it worthy of the time and effort that all of us, all of you have already out into it and all of us hope to put in for the future!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.