What I humbly think about SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hornpipe, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

I’m going to suggest that with a small population the tax should be small to nil, as population grows then increase the taxes. Treat land like a real commodity

Twiggi Fizzlesticks and Hornpipe like this.
  2. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

I agreed. And I also I think it should be free for all. LB is not gaining anything when we pay property tax.

Paladin Michael and Hornpipe like this.
  3. Koss

Koss Avatar

Should be free... but it won't be.

Hornpipe likes this.
  4. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Can’t be free or Kickstarter issues, but super cheap....;)

Chatele and Hornpipe like this.
  5. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Given all the other Kickstarter issues, what would it matter? Not trying to be funny by saying that, simply factual.

Plenty of Kickstarter stuff hasn't happened (or has changed), already. So what's one more thing, in such a small community?

6. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Yes, even if personaly, I would not be in a riot if they made every deed tax free (and I have tf, village city and town deeds). They probably could compensate that like they do for the duke faces.

I think that the row lot deed taxes should be, at most 500 per week or 1000 per month, no more, so that every casual player could maintain his/her presence without having to connect every day.

That would make the game much more welcoming in my opinion.

7. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

True, but I would rather refrain from feeding the negativity.

Hornpipe likes this.
  8. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

400 a month, prepayable in 2 month intervals, also limit the amount of Square footage people can own to prevent the elites from taking over the world.

9. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

That would be too much a sanction. Those guys paid a lot of money for what they have. And many of them used their deeds to rent rooms for free. By the way, I think I remember there is already a limit for the deeds which can be placed in NPC towns. But yes, taxes should be around that level approximatively.

10. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Boy I wish I could agree with you, but for every generous player there is one that is focused on simply maximizing their own rmt cash flow. I’ve seen their game destroying greed play out here far to many times.

Stundorn likes this.
  11. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

There's a lot of stuff in SotA that was sold for, let's be honest, really silly amounts of money, so yes, there are people out there who paid a lot of money for a lot of things.

But if we're looking at a how-do-we-keep-the-game-going scenario, I think everything has to be on the table.

Put another way, would people like to say, "Hey, I paid a lot of money for 'x'..." in a game that closes its server? Or lose some of that exclusivity in a game that continues?

That's ultimately what it comes down to, as far as I can see. There's no point in playing a game of haves and have-nots in such a small community that needs to build itself up.

12. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

True enough, but I doubt that we will need further limitations with property deeds per account as long as we can see as much free lots waiting everywhere in NPC/PRT and POT towns. For now, then, there is no hurry for that.

The placement of player vendors would be much more an issue here. And I think it would have been smarter for everyone to have a permission system which allow people to sell our stuff with the NPC vendors (not the public ones, but the actual blacksmiths, carpenters, tailors, etc...), with or without commission.

It would have been better for every customer not to have to go to each player vendor to look for stuff (just imagine that you just have to go to the blacksmith to look for swords, or the carpenter for bows). It would also have been better for the game as long as no lot placement would have been worth thousand dollars WITHOUT the deed included in the deal. And people would have been discouraged to place several lots everywhere in town. Not to mention that player vendors use ressources and make performance worse. But it would have probably required some new technology as long as vendors seem to act like containers, and the game already struggles to open a container with 300 objects within.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  13. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

We are a decade or more away from worrying about whether or not the servers will close. If you want to keep the game going, turning off your only revenue stream and pissing off every person who has supported the game financially seems like a pretty terrible idea to me.

Chatele and Onyx like this.
  14. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Every person? There's a ton of people who have supported the game financially who, by all accounts, have never even played it since persistence.

I'd also suggest people with tax-free lots aren't the only people who have financially supported the game. Give that some thought, too.

Also, if you think this game's got a decade left in the shape it's in now, without growing its playerbase significantly, I've got bad news for you.

The game needs to grow its playerbase - fast. The fact it hasn't is the whole reason why half the team's been shown the door. It's massively important.

I realise this isn't the sort of stuff people want to hear about the game, but thinking everything's A-OK when half the staff leave isn't dealing with the issue.

Nog, blaquerogue, Stundorn and 3 others like this.
  15. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

I like the way UO did it. If memory serves me right, you log in once a week or within 30 days to refresh your house by open the front doors. No property tax at all. I hate to see we reinvent the wheel here.

blaquerogue likes this.
  16. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

1) I think this is the main problem of the game, PVP zones should give much more EXP and resources than not PVP zones. Loosing of guildwar should give significant debuffs to all guild or to guild town or smth like this, or deny access to all guild members to few zones chosen by winners, guildwar should not be accepted at all !!! Winner in guildwar should be determined not by who kills more, but by who get more ransoms.
    There is popular point of view that pve scenes should be equal by xp and loot and no forcing non pvp players to pvp zones should be, its completely wrong point of view and very bad for the game in long perspective imho.

2) Future castle defense scenario if it will be implemented as new locations, its just a fail. The castle defense scenario which we all waiting for, its scenarios of guild town defense during guildwars.

3)Guild Influence, guilds should make guild wars also for influence on different locations. If locations is under influence of one of the guilds, guild members of this guilds will get more xp in this locations and gather more resources.

4) Another bad thing about the game its housing system in NPC towns. I understand that devs want to satisfy old bakers. But there is HUGE demand in remaking this system. What should be changed ? Answer is very easy if you weren't login into game for 2weeks(raw) and 4 weeks(castle) lot is unclaimed.(you mean owner, not coowner or trustee or kindred)

17. Gix

Gix Avatar

If you came to a PvP zone for the XP, then you didn’t come for the PvP.

XP should be awarded by killing players, yes, but PvE elements (such as killing mobs) should be treated as PvE and yield the same amount as anywhere else.

This game does a lot of things that discourages players to PvP or prevent/slow down people from PvPing... but getting more XP is not a solution and is quite insulting to anyone who wants to PvP as their primary activity... because it’s missing the point.

Chatele, blaquerogue and Stundorn like this.
  18. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Ingame property tax/upkeep isn't meant to be a cash inflow for the company, the idea is that it's a gold sink and balance on the ingame economy and a way to make sure in a situation where the number of players wanting real estate ingame is greater than the number of available lots of property that the people who own the property are active players and not dead accounts taking up space.

timelordian5 likes this.
  19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Cant agree more.

My incentive to go into PvP Scenes is Roleplaying, investigating Ruins and Shardfalls fighting Aggressors , fighting red people , oh sorry no PvP related Virtue System.
    Other thing is:
    Gap between players, no cap, no restrictions from trees. One can ambush you as a "thief" then switch to Archer in 3s including gear. Gear and Artifacts way to strong tldr no balance at all.
    Still bad system for resistancies etc...

I will never pvp where playerskill is not key , but time grinded and gear and stuff.
    Just bad for any pvp game.
    Else Shooters would have levels.
    Dumb enough they began with Perks and Ironsights etc.. with BF and COD back in the days.
    All this prevents people from playing the sandbox.
    All this makes the sandbox it want to be a Joke.

It dont want to be UO, ok then see what happens.

It's a waste of time and the counter Vision of another game without any vertical progression shows whats the other way around.

Fun, fun, fun, fun for everybody , for everytime from scratch.

I just had a scenario in my mind.
    See you go with your buddies pvping.
    Then You maybe arent able to play for a Month while everybody else grind K'rul or Sieges or what you grind, just remember Mage room, maybe still the best xp/hr spot i dont know i dont care.
    That there is xp/hr stuff is contradiction of playing a RPG to me, but anyway...
    So you come back and everybody is lets say 50 Million xp in front of you without no end in sight.
    How to get back in Line ?
    Why?

Has Mac already hit 200 in all 150 Skills?

This is the fact i got upset with the most.
    This utterly stupid endless progression stuff and anti RP, anti PvP, anti Groupplay thing.

Ok, i need to stop reading and posting.
    I'll comeback when Ep2 is ready.

Never i guess.

20. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

All the stuff already mentioned...

My take is...

Port has started to much and finnished to little.

The problem is right now, all the Ultima fans are already on board (or left already) so it becomes harder to find new people=new funding

I hope they did not loose that window of opportunity to make the game pay itself...

But the big thing is i think, there should be less content, but what is polished.

The most simplest games can have great replaybiltiy and make the most fun.

There where back in the days French games with breathtaking graphics but lousy gameplay, they never made it faar, and i see Sota drifting into that direction by having to much content for the sota team to polish it.

I hope they stop adding and focus on finishing stuff, then add more.

And by add not another zone with static grinding spots (like CP or spawn ring like upper tears) but real dammed long dungeons for proper dungeon crawls. Like hilt, just five times as long.

Classic stuff!

Chatele and Spinok like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.