Purchasing votes for episode 2.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Ok, so - First of all, apologies if this has already been brought up in a separate thread.

I would just like to go on the record and say that I hate the idea that you are giving people more influence on features for episode two based on who gives you more money. Especially considering so many thousands of people have already paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for all 5 episodes, and sooo many community members that were at or above the original Developer pledge level, which was sold as:

"Gain access to the private Developer Chat/Forums and help participate in guiding the game"

So, please.

Let people buy things, but have official surveys for Episode 2 features that ANYONE who has pledged can be a part of.

2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

3. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Agreed. ALL people with good ideas should be looked at equally.

blaquerogue, Lace, Gorthyn and 9 others like this.
  4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I agree as well. There are better ways to incentivize people.

blaquerogue, Lace, Chatele and 12 others like this.
  5. Pon Orapon

Pon Orapon Avatar

There will be thousands of "good ideas". Stretch goals seems a reasonable means of indicating the communities priority.

ROFL The Uber and Nelzie like this.
  6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

These Purchase of Votes are know as "Stretch Goals" They let folks put the money where they want it to go.

It's not purchasing VOTES.

Just an FYI on how that works.

Laz

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm going to be far outspent and that's ok.

But if someone wants to personally buy a bunch of votes so they can get their favorite thing in the game, thus funding that thing so that we can ALL enjoy it, I'm ok with that too.

If it sticks with "Spend money on the store and that goes into the pool for all the stretch goals" I think we won't get very far, the big purchases are all gone.

If it is "Buy X item goes toward Y goal" I think we won't get very far, because it's possible that the person that wants Y doesn't want X. And the person that wants X doesn't want Y.

We're funding development here, if more money is raised by letting people put their cash DIRECTLY INTO what they want, more money is a good thing.

8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Call it whatever you want, I guess.

9. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Lets finish whats already on the sota plate first.

Like fishing expansion, sailing ships etc etc.

10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

...and official surveys don't?

Brugas, LoneStranger, Salix and 2 others like this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm kinda torn here. I understand the concern raised by @Bubonic and I think its important that backers have input into Ep2 content for the reasons stated.
    On the other hand, using the amount of money raised as a general indicator of what features are most desired / which to prioritize seems sensible. Sure, some people will go and drop a big pile of cash to get 'their' favorite feature in. So what? LET them! More money for the game, more funding, is a good thing. And if you want to put $5 toward your favorite feature it will still get there, just maybe not as fast. Of course, it could be that a big spender wants the same thing as you do ...in which case...no problem.

12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

why is that more sensible than official surveys?

MrBlight and Brugas like this.
  13. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

You can't fund the game with a survey

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Surveys should indicate what is on the list of possibilities.

Then let the money go where the money will. If it raises more because people are able to back their favorite thing and will thus do it to a larger degree, we all win.

ROFL The Uber and Chatele like this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Where is this survey? I didn't get a survey. I thought we were just putting ideas in the forum.

16. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Because everyone can say they want to be able to fly to the moon in a survey, but if nobody is willing to pay for it then its not a direction the game development should go. It takes people to code these features and most people like to be paid when they work.

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I have to say, I'm not at all surprised at the users who have come here to disagree with the idea that all community members should be heard equally.

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Didn't say more sensible, just sensible ^.^ But yeah, they need to fund it, and if they think that making it a competition will raise more funds then its likely it will go that route, simply from a financial perspective.

I'm not saying that its the fairest option, but its a sensible option, from a financial perspective.

There's stuff we all want. I'd pay $100 for a prosperity ingot mold -right now-. Hell, I'd buy two. If 1000 of us all said yes, put me down for prosperity ingot molds for $100 each, I'm guessing that would affect internal decisions about whether or not that's something they want to make. As long as its just me over here who dreams of prosperity ingot molds, it likely will never happen.

I'm completely with you on the fact that those of us who pledged already are supposed to have this perk, this voice, as part of being backers. I don't disagree, but from a practical perspective, someone's gotta pay for this shiny new stuff...and, once paid for, we ALL get it, not just the people who wanted to throw a bunch of money at it. The only thing that is going to be affected is the priority.

19. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Also, a lot of people will not answer surveys, official or not regardless what it for.. but quite a few of them will buy an item to fund their favorite feature..

Just based on the multitude of surveys I've opted out of/deleted/ignored, and personal experience..

(Plus it's easier to game a survey to get what you want, if it's not costing you anything ;) )

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Where is the survey?!?!?!?

Did I miss something?

Perashim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.