Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

11-12% Damage nerf to high end mages - why?

Discussion in 'Release 55 QA Feedback Forum' started by Armeleon Vesaz, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

In a recent post @Chris stated the game will be made harder by increasing the difficulty and spawn rates of zones new and old. What we're seeing on QA with the attunement changes is the exact opposite. Now we're seeing a very significant straight up nerf to magic damage at the higher end of attunement. (Comparing live vs QA at 207 and 237 attunement with equal int).

This is communicated as a slight adjustment that goes hand in hand with an increase for the lower end of attunement. This is still very far from a small adjustment, as in fact this sort of decrease in power simply cannot be made up by progression if you're already at 100+ skill levels and have "maxed" the int rolls on your gear. In fact this change alone undoes months of progress made on my character.

I have to say that being hit with these sort of nerfs 2 years into persistence seems absolutely pointless and I can think of very few things that make a person like me to consider taking a break from or quitting the game more. I would at least like to see the justification behind this rather than "sneaking" this in as a side-effect of something presented as a buff, when the reality for many players is the very opposite of that.

And just to be clear, I'm not talking about meteor shower but all fire and life skills I tested.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Fruck, FrostII, Almar and 6 others like this.
  2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Just another way to make every player like every other player. They're closing the gap between Vet players and New Players. Double XP in conjunction with the 1mil/Hour debuff has been slowing down advanced players, while speeding up the new to intermediate players. Many skills now have hard caps and the only reason to raise them is to raise attunement in a particular tree. With diminished returns for damage/effectiveness of spells at higher attunements I will have nothing to work toward and will end up not playing the game. I don't know why they don't make harder mobs rather than try to force all players to be at relatively equal power levels.

3. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

I don't mind them boosting progression at the beginning. I do think that over time it should be easier to get past the first x levels to be competitive with those of us who have around since persistence. But the whole point of the OP was that I don't think that setting people back in the progression is the way to achieve the level playing field, as it truly just removes all feeling of progress if the balance changes nerf you regularly more than it is possible to progress in the game.

FrostII, Chatele, Nikko and 2 others like this.
  4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Exactly what I pointed out. They are boosting progression for new players and stifling it for vets.

5. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

Nerf every month, until you feel nothing about it and your heart breaks. Think of earthquakes, and the remaining spells are never too bad.

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Another slap in the face for mages. Wow. Everything being magic resistant wasn't enough, and having magic immune mobs making some scenes impossible without a weapon wasn't enough, patch after patch I just keep feeling like the only way to remain capable is to pick up a sword. Its already more difficult to raise INT than ANY other stat, its already 10x as expensive to increase your damage via attunement as it is for weapon-users who have a nice cheap passive, but now, now we get nerfed again.

Really, really unimpressed.

FrostII likes this.
  7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Why? because nerf everything! Two months ago they nerfed DR too hard, last month it was speed. This month, mage potency! I'm really getting sick of it. I love this game, but it is really getting hard to deal with the nerfs. It seems so rare that something gets more powerful for the players. At least they fixed multi-shot so it is fairly decent now, I suppose.

FrostII, Almar and Brewton like this.
  8. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Conversely those of us who are primarily melee types dislike the need to learn a load of magic spells we don't want for attunement to boost our magic resistance to a decent level.

The way the game forces people to adopt skills they don't want just to get on is not what a classless system should be.

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Agreed - the everyone must learn everything approach has gotten a bit tiresome.

Although, at least you don't have to completely change your offensive deck / weapon type / gear depending on what scene you're going to, due to things being resistant/immune to melee. I get the resist thing, it sucks, but the nerf after nerf after nerf to offensive magic has made it barely viable as a primary pve damage type. I can put on a mediocre melee weapon with gm-level skills and do better vs. many targets even without appropriate gear than I can with 225+ attunement, ridiculous wands, and hundreds of millions of xp invested in magic schools. I shudder to think if I dumped all of that xp into a weapon tree.

10. Vero

Vero Avatar

So, high end builds are getting hit, getting dmg-ranges closer to lower end builds. Now we will start seeing people doing harder content cus of their 'tactics / deck skills' ;). quite like that idea to be honest.

@Armeleon Vesaz you will still be burning stuff to the ground like there is no tomorrow right ;) the way you handle your stack-deck and mindlock makes you very strong, not only the Attu in your tree's ;)

I think this change is not impacting us 'that hard'! let's see what it brings and we adapt like always right!

:)

V

Bambino likes this.
  11. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

My impression was that the attunement changes would be applied to PvP formulas, and not impact PvE. These changes sounds great for PvP. It shouldn't take months to a year to be effective in PvP, and avatars that have the time to deal with decay/maintenance throw PvP balance out of whack.

Elwyn and kaeshiva like this.
  12. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

Yes, the issue is not that I won't still be strong in PVE. As you say, the ability to do well in PVE comes from skills, gear, understanding of the skill system + the encounter and the mechanical skill to execute your chosen tactic. The issue is that the #1 reason to keep playing for me is still that I can still make progress in the game and it is fun for me. If that is set back with each patch more than it is humanly possible to progress, it simply removes all the fun from the game for someone like me. So I will voice this as long as I still want to want play this game.

The speed nerfs last patch made the game less fun to play (for me), and this still remains to be true. The reasons given later by @Chris I consider to be pretty good, such as the mechanics of the game and the net code simply cannot handle speed above x. So I undertand that had to be done and that's that. But so far we'v had no reason given for this nerf, and actually it has not even been stated that the big nerf to the higher end is intended at all. Maybe there's a reason I can't come up with or maybe it's simply a matter of not really considering this side-effect of the change. That's the whole point of the thread.

I don't know what this impression is based on but that is not the case on QA. It's just a straight up big nerf to magical damage at higher attunements. Nothing else to it.

Almar likes this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Always weirded me out that ghosts are able to be hit by a club but resistant to magic.

Matt Harris, Sorthious and Elwyn like this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I know right! If anything, they should be completely immune to physical damage, due to their incorporeal nature. Although I assume the decision was made against this because they didn't want to marginalize everyone that uses a weapon for damage and force them to use magic. Apparently it is only ok to marginalize mages. Lookin' at you, obsidian golems....

Sorthious, Mac2, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  15. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

The reason why the game is not gradually attractive is that the designer sees the game as a purely programmatic system, and any system that only makes unsatisfactory data in the statistics will be corrected. But they overlooked this is a game that has already been listed, the player is not the paid tester, the system is unstable for a long time, the player is like a white rat, psychology can be difficult to accept.

Obviously, they are accustomed to bugs and they are accustomed to nerf and are not used to designing games.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Almar likes this.
  16. Paggy Holisy

Paggy Holisy Avatar

They just need to play more and read less. Many spells are useless because nerf too much. P.S earthquakes.
    And Att system is stupid because it forces you to put all exp into a lot of useless skills. And nerf again and again just waste your time.

Almar and Gorthyn like this.
  17. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I think you might be underestimating the level of nerf.
    [​IMG]

Fruck likes this.
  18. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Why the graph starts at -200 attunment and not at 0?

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Because if your attunement minus your opponent's attunement is -200 then your effectiveness is zero.

Sorthious likes this.
  20. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

I was not able to replicate this on QA. The damage drop I was seeing was 11-12%. at 200-230 attunement.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.