Ep 2 Continent expansion: Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

There is at least one person who shares this opinion, and I told him I'd post it here.

Don't expand the landmass too much. We're already pretty spread out.

We all hope that the upcoming year fills out Novia and Hidden Vale a lot, but even if it does, making a whole other continent the size of Novia will spread us out and dilute the population levels enough to damage the game.

I know there is the need to get the Nested POTs onto a new continent world map. And I know more POT's is a money stream.

But just be careful. Too much can be damaging by spreading us out as well as making too much land that needs to be filled with content. It's been years of non-stop scene building and we're still not totally uncloned in Novia.

2. amarious

amarious Avatar

Unless they go underground..

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Richard's original vision was that each episode would double the landmass. So Episode 2 would have a continent roughly equal to that of Novia. Episode 3 would have one that is twice that size, episode 4 one that is four times, etc. (At that point, I'd assume Episode 5 takes place on one of the moons...)

That said, I don't think they should worry too much about spreading us out. More scenes to explore is a good thing. What I would suggest they restrict is how much of the new land includes settlements. Perhaps Episode 2 should be the LAST one that you can purchase a POT for. After that, the only way to settle would be to claim a guild area or fight off NPCs and put down your own place (similar to their goal with Blood Bay). Either way involves an unsafe area just outside your lot.

Make the wilderness savage, wild, and untamed.

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That's a lot of work, we're going to be looking at several years for EP 2 if we double Novia. Which is fine, but it needs to be realized up front.

If it takes several years then the population might be there to settle it out. But ideally we shouldn't be colonizing a new location until the old one "Is just too crowded".

Interesting ideas with the Guild territory bit. Moon base 1 would be great too.

5. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

I am waiting to see what they have to say about it on the live stream before I consider much about ep2.

6. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I'd love to see something like "Royal Cartographers postulate uncharted territories lie somewhere southwest of Aerie." which launches a community quest to unlock a long forgotten archipelago with new dangers, magic, and not too much landmass, but much to explore. Perhaps allow for some POT to be developed off the coast after some community story arc is completed on the archipelago. Stages would be something like:
    • Postulation of existence based on ocean currents or some observable phenomenon.
    • Quest to form expedition - maybe it requires the community to acquire and turn in wood and other resources to build massive ships to explore the region.
    • Once ships have been built - Quest for adventurers to sail to the island and return word of the encounters.
    • Once reports have been sent back - open surrounding islands of the archipelago to POT with the idea being that a foothold is being established to curtail some threat on the archipelago's mainland.
    From there, the struggle would continue indefinitely.

That could give us more land for POTs without making a massive continent, but still giving us plenty of new content.

7. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Expansion can be seen here

And seen Visually HERE :)

[​IMG]

Novia is the Center Landmass.

discipleofweb likes this.
  8. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

That looks to be way more than double the landmass if all of that is shown in that table is planned for ep. 2. I'd just suggest that not all of it needs to be revealed immediately upon Episode 2. Let us work to discover things with in-game community efforts! That will help bring the community together and forge friendships!

9. Browncoat Jayson

No, I'm assuming the landmass to the bottom left will be the one for E2, the one at the top is for E3, and the rest is for E4. Based on the doubling thing.

Alley Oop likes this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Welp, I guess that's settled then.

Suggest going with the smaller one to start with.

And
    Made me suddenly want a "Water World floating POT." Maybe even able to be moved around.

Lol, I say "Take it slow" and then ask for floating water cities....

Witcheypoo likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Actually, I think it would be great if some of those 'nested' POTs didn't have to be nested, because there was land for them to expand into. I never liked the idea of POTs that didn't appear on the map, except for underground ones.

Elwyn, Joeziggy, Mykll and 2 others like this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

I agree with that. I'm against selling a lot of "new" POTs, but allowing existing POTs to move to the new land to get overworld access makes a lot of sense.

Joeziggy and Nikko like this.
  13. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

The new land masses popping up, and it all looking a bit like Old Britannia is one of the things I am the MOST excited about. Are you kidding me? Bring it! LB himself even told me a couple of years back that the ultimate plan is to have his castle where it always has been, by Britanny Bay (which will likely have some new name here). Sailing ships and seeing the new lands is the single greatest thing that we could have.

14. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

If you think Novia and Hidden Vale aren't fleshed out enough now, then you may not have been around during the initial premise of the game in which the map was Hex based and each Hex was to be a separate scene (and if I recall correctly,m the Kickstarter stretch goal met that DOUBLED the initial Hex number).

Hidden Vale alone had over 150 individual Hexes, and at least initially, several Hex "zones" held the same scene as seen below:

[​IMG]

Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  15. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Glad someone else noticed old Britannia. If the ruins of the old towns are there, or if some survived, that will be very cool. Be great if some of the old companions are still there. Potential for a great story but it would need to be implemented better than the story so far.

Nikko likes this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

And all the cave wrasse are dead....

Cordelayne and Alley Oop like this.
  17. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

We MAY have been a little overzealous there...

Traveller13 likes this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Pretty sure that's the plan.

19. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Ships and islands, pirates and treasure hunters. That's what Episode 2 should be.

Minimal overland to craft and treasure maps that go to random locations in the ocean that may or may not be an uncharted island that exists only for the duration of your hunt.

Cordelayne and Nikko like this.
  20. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

So the area East of Novia?

Cordelayne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.