Melee are incredibly weak

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadilay, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I made a Jira for myself a while to use the fizzle modifier for armor also effect stealth results. So sneaking in heavy armor would become much more difficult. I'll bump that up in priority. Also, still investigating players getting one shotted. It isn't that common but it gets talked about a lot. I'm looking at doing the same thing for crit damage that I've done everywhere, reduce the max damage but increase the min damage to make it the same average damage.

2. Tracker

Tracker Avatar

This. I stealth frequently myself, and is a large part of my play style, but success rate of stealth should be checked against armor type/pieces and also weapon type. My opinion, (for what it's worth) is a polearm wielding full plate avatar "may" be able to stand still hidden behind a tree with some chance at doing so, stealthing around out in the open...hmmm.

Tracker

3. Shadilay

Shadilay Avatar

Sorry I'm not used to being on Forums anymore since there hasn't been a game i liked enough to actually join in on conversations on the forums in a long time. There is definitely a weak point for melee between i'd say starting at lvl 65-80, I am 90 now and i can't believe how much better it is. It was REALLY bad and disheartening there for a while. That is absolutely something to do with the scaling of melee, if it is unintended, i think it should be investigated, but as Sara Dreygon said as im getting higher my experience has been getting much better.

Another thing, is armor and weapons are really expensive for new players, I think upgrading my armor and weapons had amazing effects, but i don't know where it will end up going after this upgrade, if there is any better armor than bronze bone with strength on it at the moment for my playstyle. I still think maybe light armor might need a looking at as well as silent movement still, maybe if you are going to nerf heavy armor in stealth, maybe look at buffing light armor for stelath, maybe make it have a % increase on stealth for each piece of light u have, I actually think that would be a fantastic way of going about seperating light and heavy.

4. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Maybe even take it a step further and have it somewhat like older AD&D and AD&D 2E, where heavier leather was penalized slightly in some rogue mechanics and cloth types would not have any penalties... maybe even some bonuses to boot to make some cloth desirable for an assassin type vs the more defensive capabilities of heavier leather types of armor.

Maliced likes this.
  5. Shadilay

Shadilay Avatar

I agree, however I think "medium" armor needs to be incentivized a little bit, outside of the archer, but then again i dont even see most archers using it, they use cloth for that almost required spell damage and -fizzle %.
    I just feel leather armor as a whole is lacking a certain identity and any real advantage, i think giving it + stealth% is a perfect medium for its own usage.

Edit: I do agree with the boot thing though, stealth should be affected by boot weight or something like that.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.