Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The User Interface

Discussion in 'Release 55 Feedback' started by Andreaus Whitefyre, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreaus Whitefyre

Andreaus Whitefyre Avatar

Okay I ahve toa dmit I DO NOT like the new UI. I ahve bad eyesight and I can just barely see the glyphs, and the inventory. Some people can't see it at all. The Glyphs eed to be brightened, and the inventory needs to be brightened as well. Reading what Items I have is hard now. This UI is not a step in the right direction.

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I don't think they need to be brighter, per se, but the text and icons do need to have more contrast. Dark is fine, as long as the backgrounds are light. Grey on grey on black is not legible for a lot of people.

Aeryk and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

I'm Right There With You!

The transparent backgrounds are killing my eyes... and it's WAY distracting having see thru like that.

JEEZ GUYS.

Most of us are older players and not in our 20s. you all should know that by now.

And it's really not better IMHO. You know there's an X on all those windows. If I Don't want to see them i'm perfectly capable of turning it OFF!

I found myself distracted and not able to concentrate on my tasks yesterday because I was having such a hard time finding the borders to move my windows https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/windows-does-not-stay-where-i-want.132384/ around so i can work.

And trying to read the text thru what to me now seems like an invisible haze on the screen instead of a solid background is ANNOYING!!!!

Lastly WE spent TIME And MONEY ON THIS???? REALLY?

If It Ain't Broke!!!! Don't FIX It.

Please either give us an option to go back or make it so we can choose to NOT have transparent windows.

Thanks.

Laz

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  4. radi

radi Avatar

I do agree with the issues that people are pointing out. I like the look of the new UI, but it could be made more accessible for people with hard of seeing. An option in the menu could add a solid black background to the dialogs and add better text contrast. That will help with accessibility.

5. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

When they said they were working on revemping the ui i was happy to hear it. I was expecting a complete rework, ei: geometry of menu and buttons , button that pop out a little , you know something that looked fresh and clean. What i dint expect was a gloomy change of color scheme. ( A la .Window 98 theme) .It feels like im 15 again and chose the black and grey theme for windows cuz im a edgy geeky kid. Lol

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think the transparency is more of a problem than anything else, because it can really mess with contrast, and because it is a factor that is hard to control or anticipate. What looks fine in one place may be awful somewhere else. For instance, against lighter backgrounds, the items on the character sheet window turn to mud.

If we just had a "disable transparency" checkbox config option, things would be a lot better for those of us who don't have 25-year-old eyes.

7. kells550

kells550 Avatar

who ever approved the new UI needs fired. this is ghastly.
    just wrong. how did this survive 2 weeks on QA without everyone projectile vomiting

todos estamos de lo que la cogida

8. kells550

kells550 Avatar

secondly. why is every window see through? and why is there no interface->ui.option to make the windows non see through

9. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Is there a reason why Port didn't retain the old gold border interface so it could be offered as an option? I'm a little puzzled at this given some folks liked it and all the work to design and create it had been sunk

10. kells550

kells550 Avatar

because the devs do not play the game. you eat what they serve, and like it, or find a new game
    that is what they want from their players.

11. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

I agree, wish there was a button to choose if you want to revert back to the old UI. Was there even complaints about the old UI that made them go and try to fix it?

I could think of 100 other things that needed an immediate fix than the UI.

12. Hawkwind

Hawkwind Avatar

Now that I have spent a good day playing the game with the UI change I like it even less then I did initially. Like I said in the other thread I am finding it hard to read the text in the windows the way they are now. Seeing that there are many others that are having similar issues how about some options to help us older folk out? The transparency is terrible, the dark colors are terrible. The no borders are terrible.

I was excited to hear that the UI was going to get some love and thought that it would get redone not just a change in color minus the borders, I mean its the same UI!

I am very disappointed in what we got.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Chris actually explained this in the last livestream. Basically, having the option to select 2 different UI’s consumed too many resources. So that option isn’t feasible currently.

The specific intent of the new UI was to make it less obtrusive. Of which, I personally think they have done well.

It still needs a bit of tweaking though.

By Tor and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Everyone complained about the UI (I actually thought it was fine), so they changed the UI. Now everyone is complaining about the UI.

radi and Paladin Michael like this.
  15. MrChadwyck

MrChadwyck Avatar

I have bad eyesight as well.... It's not a change for the better.
    I finally get halfway used to the new UI font, and I can barely read that either, I get a UI that makes icons and text blend into the background.
    Unfortunately, this is the UI I am forced to use.

With every UI change, I ask myself, 'Did they even test this in a snowy biome or with night vision?' White/gray UI text magically disappears.

Elwyn likes this.
  16. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

PFFT...

I took another shot and it blurred up just fine for me...
    I LIKE IT!!!

See ya'll later...

I got $#!^ to do...

17. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

[​IMG]

There's an X on all those windows to close them if i wish for them to be "less intrusive"

[​IMG]

Look MA! Less Intrusive!!! Oh My.

Jaesun and Elwyn like this.
  18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Again, I clearly stated it still needs work. ;)

19. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

It was discussed in QA. The forums and client are open to everyone now, if you can spare the hard drive space come join us!

Note: There was one bug, and one comment thread, both saying pretty much the same as above. The problem for the designers is that is a bit difficult to sort out the noise, and people in general have a generally negative reaction to change. I really really feel this type of change needs more proactive testing. That is, the type of testing where you sit down with folk and ask them to do things for you, *NOT* simply ask if they like it or not.

20. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I like the new UI. I hope it is iterated on. Its a step in the right direction.

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.