Pro Bono

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blaquerogue, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

:rolleyes:

3devious likes this.
  2. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I can do meshes and texturing not much else (it is rumored that i tend to be pretty low poly too!)

blaquerogue likes this.
  3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You'd better be, or there will be a mob of angry villagers players carrying (low poly) torches looking for you... while struggling with low frame rate, of course. That might be just what you need to escape.

4. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Happy to help pro bono, but the only thing I can do is talk. Voice work is fine, but I don't think there is really any call for that in the game. Especially as it is now multi-lingual - that sort of scuttles the idea of significant voicing as a part of the game.

5. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I learned from an guy making meshes for games, professional.

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

UO counselors pretty much set the precedence that pro bono works for game is a bad idea and never really a pro bono.

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Unfortunately if the pro bono people sign a waiver, then thats a legal document. So port will not have to do anything special for them, except out of the kindness of their heart!

So it would be nice to get back to the topic.

8. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Yes... it destroyed the Counselor system.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  9. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

You might think that, but that would be "common sense", and that never stops the inevitable lawsuit ;)

Neat idea though..

Hmm.. maybe start a separate fan fiction collection for quests/stories/lore, then maybe try to work something with the devs to have some of it included in the game.. Similar to what a saw an old post trying to do with art submissions.

-Met

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

I'd offer, but I'm currently developing for the Nintendo 3DS right now so there'd be risk of conflict of interest issues to be doing side work for another company. Plus it would probably cost Port more to adequately protect themselves legally in setting a volunteer system up than to contract it out or buy assets elsewhere.

For anyone with professional skills wanting to help out, I'd guess the most productive path would be to put work of your own up on one of the indie marketplaces like the Unity asset store or GameDev.market at an affordable price and let Port know of its existence so if anything is useful to them, they can obtain it through there as a product purchase without risk of odd complications. Plus it builds your own resume and contact network beyond SotA, so it's not wasted work regardless of if can be used here or not.

11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

If POT decoration limits were extended even further I bet more decorative skills could be put to work making certain corners of the game world look even better.

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

LOL if people want to waste money on a lawyer for a case they wont win based on a waiver they signed -- More power to them! I wish they spend that money on the game instead! :)

13. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Sadly the problem is that if you are really out to shut a company down you can use the legal systhem (even with an hopeless case) to shut them down long enough to push them out of buisness.
    Big companies like to do that with smaller ones offerering superior products.
    There where a few cases where a company offered an superior linux based server software and was pulled into court over and over until they folded, would have to dig out the papers, interesting stuff.
    DMA right is practical made for that type of lawsuit.
    I would not touch it with an ten foot pole.
    Best they make an contract and payment, just enough to make it a binding contract.
    Pro Bono invites trouble so big you can't shake the proverbial stick at.

14. Womby

Womby Avatar

I have contributed, as have many others, but I would never do it through Portalarium. It is better to seek forgiveness than to beg for permission. Better for you, better for Portalarium.

15. Derium

Derium Avatar

I literally make my living off of YouTube and social media. I'd be happy to assist them with targeting the correct audiences, their ad types and get them into contact with larger streamers who would be willing to try the game.

And this is literally me offering them a second chance, after they burned the bridge once.

16. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Hannah Alpenglow just created a few very neat quests with nothing but the tools available to players. Nothing stops us from providing content from the community to the community.

3devious, blaquerogue and Jaesun like this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

The problem with the youtube streamers is that, shroud looks best when you're looking at mid to high level play. You know, people that have stuff already and are doing the more interesting content. Most of the youtube reviews out there consist of watching a guy complain about the beginning of the game, which usually has a pretty sad ending.

18. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Could you imagine someone streaming starting out in UO in early 1998, long before any "new player experience" was even a thing... you were just dropped into the world and let loose?

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

The good ole days!

20. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Here's some little-recorded history for yas. All you need to know about the main players before U8. :p

Stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.