Are there any plans to boost the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jorhoto, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evadrepus

Evadrepus Avatar

When last posted on the front page, there were something like 65K people who had contributed to the game. Right now, this forum has 253, 523 registered users. That's almost half the population of Vermont.

Assuming there's 100% overlap between the 65k and 253k (not likely) , that's still a quarter of a million players. Less than 200 are logged in right now. That's not a marketing problem, that's a delivered product problem.

2. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Steam Charts is not a reliable data source.

Even for anecdotal direction, Steam Charts is not a reliable data source.

One last time, for the love of god as a data scientist part of this industry since 2004...

STEAM CHARTS IS NOT A RELIABLE DATA SOURCE.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/10...fectively-render-steamspy-steamcharts-useless

3. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I have a fairly large and diverse group of MMO friends who I've built up over the years playing games with and I haven't invited any of them to play SOTA. Yet.

We have a shared hub on Google+ specifically to recommend games, music, movies and other recreational stuff and over the years we have hooked up and had fun in several games.

I haven't recommended SOTA despite thoroughly enjoying it personally, as people's time is precious and I have a responsibility, as do the others in our loose group, to point people at a game they will hopefully enjoy, find worthwhile, and see as an exceptional option in a crowded genre and not be frustrated or disappointed.

As a basic principle I would not recommend a game that was excessively buggy, unfinished or lacking in some basic polish. In addition, whilst they are a group of gamers that enjoy all types of content, they would expect an acceptable level of quality for PVP and quests and an intuitive interface.

At some point I would love to get the band back together, maybe form a Guild, in SOTA with my buddies, but right now, all of these basic criteria boxes are un ticked.

K1000, Diab Blackbow and Brewton like this.
  4. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Population dips in every MMO around this time. Naysayers in other games I play bring this up literally year after year that it spells doom for that specific game, yet it's been around for 20 years.

5. Jorhoto

Jorhoto Avatar

Ok so first argument was, it is summer ppl is on holidays.
    New argument is, the data collected from Steam charts is invalid.

Ok, you can see the concurrent players -number in green- directly on Steam (when there is a min number required to be displayed):

ARK: https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110
    TESO: https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130
    Black Desert Online: https://steamcommunity.com/app/582660
    SOTA: https://steamcommunity.com/app/326160

*SOTA doesn't reach the minimum number of players to be displayed.

Derium and Mykll like this.
  6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

This is true. I'm one of those people who never heard of this game, didn't even know it existed until about a month ago.

I think getting people to try this game is the first challenge (given it's less than stellar reviews, and almost non-existent marketing), the other challenge is to get new players to stay. I'm enjoying the game and I'm glad I had patience with it, but because there's so much choice now in the MMO landscape, SotA has plenty of competition too (how many MMOs can anyone really devote their time for?).

ozzzmosis, K1000 and MetricPig like this.
  7. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I would honestly say that the current dip, since late spring (in the northern hemisphere) is just a blip. Its baking hot across most of Europe (even in the UK), kids off school, traditional seaside holiday time etc.

Even a SOTA nut such as myself is struggling to justify sitting indoors in the dark with the curtains closed to keep glare off the screen when it's absolutely glorious outside.

Oh and the World Cup right now.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

There's truth to that (although I'm enjoying the game). I kind of think if a game is truly great, it needs no marketing -- the player base will do all the marketing and the game will just naturally trend and find a way on it's own.

9. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

I didn't offer the first argument. Nor did I offer a second.
    I only wrote what I've been posting from day 1 in here when I see it mentioned, in data science articles I've written and at a few speaking engagements I was asked to participate in.
    It isn't an argument, simply stating fact.
    Steam Charts is not a reliable data source. Period.
    That was my only point.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  10. MetricPig

MetricPig Avatar

I agree with Nikko on every point, i love the freedoms on all fronts, and don't care for pvp.
    Its not a game all will be happy with, but i am.

I can see several areas limiting new player attraction and retention:
    - general awareness of the games existance.
    - a lot of bad reviews based on previous versions of the game.
    - lack of a free trial on steam.
    - percieved conflict from in-game purchases after having to purchase the game in the first place.
    - a confusing new player experience, to a fresh-eyed player its very different to other games, and feels very messy.
    - relating to the above, a lack of a clear, easily accesible player guide. It should not be necessary for new players to come to these forums to research every aspect and mechanic of the game. Things need to be made clearer, easier to interpret for those with no history here, and a link to a comprehensive guide made obvious to all.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  11. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Only Shroud players keep their profiles private, that's why the numbers are so low compared to others!

K1000 and Derium like this.
  12. Gregg247

Gregg247 Avatar

I will agree that summer time is a reason for a slight decline in population in the game, IF other SotA supporters out there will likewise agree that the game should have had a massive spike in new players when it was released just 3 months ago.

I've not heard of a game that has the same player population after release that it had while still in alpha/beta/pre-release/whatever. Remember, Starr told us they need 50,000 current and active players in SotA in order to break even. It could be that Steam Charts are not to be believed, and the 200 players playing through Steam are matched by 49,800 other players connecting to SotA directly (and playing in Private Only mode so we can't see them in-game), but that seems a little wonky to me.

(I hope that I'm wrong, though).

Derium likes this.
  13. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

The sky falls for every smaller MMO every single summer, when people stop logging in and instead enjoy the weather, BBQ's and vacations... even if/when those 'dead' accounts continue to be paid for and join in on Telethons.

Every single thing isn't the sign of the end times.

K1000, Witcheypoo, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  14. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

A mini quest chain introducing the new player to all the great, but hard to discover, features and explaining the key game elements would help enormously.

Associate with the free trial and they'd crack it I'm sure.

I've spoken to and read comments by players who have joined since official launch and it's a very tough learning curve for a new player and it's easy to quit after a day or two on the free trial as you can't seem to find or do anything fun.

15. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

It's a niche game, in a tightly contested market.

It's doubtful that this game will ever blast past massive numbers of players. I hope they do end up with a good solid 50,000+ regularly playing and financially supporting the game.

K1000, Witcheypoo and Woodchuck like this.
  16. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

This isn't a "new argument", with changes to Steam policies, the Steam numbers, which again do not count straight client logins that are NOT connected to Steam, has been a statement of fact for a very long time.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  17. Derium

Derium Avatar

It's much more reliable than Starr saying "our numbers are just fine!" then refusing to give us their numbers.

Well, maybe not? Because by them addressing it and then not wanting to give out numbers, that reliably says "they suck".

But seriously, any downturn must be explained. Do you really think less people play on steam simply because they are moving to the launcher? That's the ONLY explanation that works without saying the numbers are declining.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

That's why I think they need to shower the 'summer' players with gifts and game goodies for playing now! :D

Witcheypoo and Steevodeevo like this.
  19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

There seems to be a lot of denial going on.

Solazur, Sir Cabirus, smack and 8 others like this.
  20. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Confused on this, as they had a free trial for a while there... why would you stop that???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.