Are there any plans to boost the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jorhoto, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Another fact - 88% of the worlds population live in the Northern Hemisphere :)

2. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Or the game failed to hook them which is a flaw with the game. I usually know within a few hours if I want to keep playing.

3. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

They don't have to give you the numbers unless you are an investor, really. I think even then, they only have to provide those numbers in yearly shareholder reports. I would imagine one of those should be coming up soon though, as I know some of us are shareholders via SeedInvest. I don't believe that the shares we own provide us with no information about the operations.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Derium like this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

While that may be true in a broad sense, like many things in life, however, it's sometimes what you don't say that's just damning, or even more damning.

ie: Games that are happy with their numbers tend to trumpet those numbers and promote them. Those which don't... are generally covering something up.

5. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Not everything is either glowing in positivity or ready made for cynics. There's a HUGE middle ground between those two points.

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Cause Minecraft hit a whole generation of kids in the virtual LEGO's. ;)

And, UNLIKE SotA, it:

- was moddable
    - was EXTREMELY easy to play from the start
    - was NOT ridiculously complicated
    - didn't require a PhD in Quantum Mechanics to understand how to set up a combat deck... :p

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Derium like this.
  7. Corv

Corv Avatar

What are we talking about here when we talk about "are the numbers fine?". Are we talking about healthy growth? Then we know that the numbers are not "fine" (hence the post by DS about adjusting the company size). Berek once said that the steam users are only about 35% of the playerbase. Even if steam now is only 10% it can't be "fine".
    Or are we talking about if the numbers are enough to keep the game running at all? In this context the numbers might still be perfectly "fine". It all depends on each individuals expectations.

Of course getting more players has to be a top priority, it's a business after all and not some personal vanity project, right? Also for RMT, a big part of this game, more players are essential.

We can argue all day long what the reason for the, seemingly, relatively low playerbase is. In the end it's up to the devs and the marketing. I was hoping for the "blitz the globe" marketing RG talked about (youtube link, time 8:10), it didn't happen. I have no clue why and I can't change a thing about it. I don't know the inner workings of Port or Travian to judge why this campaign didn't happen as planned.

The only thing I DO know is that people (customers) who might have stuck around, invested and played even though they are not really happy with the game, have been driven away.

There might be people who (with in their mind, best intentions) tried/try to protect the game but in doing so, the way they do it, achieve the opposite. And no I am not even talking about anyone in the community, the community can only go as far as moderation allows, I am not even talking about the CM team. Can we change that? no. Not everyone who is not absolutely in love with the game is an enemy, but many were treated that way and that's unfortunate.

In my humble opinion SotA can go in two directions: 1.) concentrate on the existing playerbase (if it is enough and only Port knows if it is) and keep doing what they are doing OR 2.) if the playerbase is not enough, change some things radically.

Time will tell.

edit: btw. I think many "disgruntled" Ultima fans could be brought back, if they are being addressed by the right people with the right attitude and the right plan for the game. Make Ultima fans gruntled again ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  8. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I see a few issues and some solutions. Issue 1) Low player base with original players who left permanently. Potential fix: Finish all that was started during KS1. Give them an endgame (Factions). The grind and boredom sent them packing to greener pastures.

Issue 2) Advertising the game to bring old players back and funding ideas for KS2. Potential Fix: New land similar to UO renaissance with Trammel/Felucca mirror world. Sea Battles, promotional video showing what is in the horizon.

I will stop there for now as the main overriding theme in my book is an endgame that fosters politics, a sense of purpose and victory/defeat of guild/factions to make the grinding worthwhile.

R/Boris/El Pirata from House Serenite.

9. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

And please... PLEASE.... Do not ask for these people to come back, and in the same message ask for more money. Do not tie those two messages together.

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I feel adressed and want to confirm :)

I may sound harsh sometimes, but i want to wake people up.
    In the end i also get the opposite, less people listen to me or i get moderated and reach nothing.

Believe me, SotA can still be tweaked to a game i want to heavily.spent time with and create more player driven RPvX content. But to do that i need the right environment and the tools.
    For me the Drama is, that a lot of features here are already in place working and these are unique and no MMORPG i know of has them, but on the other side some essential Main settings destroy it completely for me.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Oh and i want to add that to me it would not matter if all i buyed and supported the game with becomes "worthless" in any sense of investment.
    So if you can get a Town deed or even a PoT by playing the game without spending money , i would not be upset.
    I donated and i buyed stuff, i didnt invest in this game, and i dont work in this game. I'm or was here to have fun and RP in the first line. But RP to me is allways connected to the environment and PvE/P and everything you can do.
    I cannot treat with demigods all the time and i for myself dont want to be one.
    I like so called low fantasy and where you be what you can do and important what you can not do.
    But this should imho not be limited by only playing time, but a well overthought system and restrictions.
    Someone using Life cannot deal with Death. Someone beeing a Master Sword Crafter can not also be a Master Carpenter at the same time, it not only destroys my immersion , like switching decks including gear while in combat , but it also destroys any interdependencies for players in the MP Environment.
    PvE, Economy and also PvP Balance and diversity.
    Agree, the shitstorm would be again a great one. But i forsee a Mail to ask us to spend money to finance KS Ep2 features.
    Maybe this Crash is also needed to change something.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Jorhoto like this.
  12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I would not ask them either since that would be their decision to make if they consider it worth their while yet I am sure Port as a business could use their assistance in the EP2 KS project. It is my sincere hope that this game succeeds at all levels and I will continue to express my ideas/suggestions as candidly and respectfully as can be expected from a pirate. Finally, my opinions have nothing to do with House Serenite of Grumvald and are only those of yours truly, a pirate and rogue at heart. R/Boris/El Pirata of House Serenite of Grumvald.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  13. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Laz and Jack at the Obsidian Trial.

14. Deana Beretta

Deana Beretta Avatar

What are some of the things that people really like about this game? I feel that all I ever see is complaints, and how to address them.
    • The Pay Wall
    • The quests
    • The PVP
    • The combat
    • other
    For the people that genuinely like the game, what is it that draws you in?
    Why do you keep logging in?
    For some people, I feel it's simply that they've put a lot of money into this game, and they desperately would like to see it succeed.

Speaking for myself (as someone who has not contributed a lot in the way of money)

• I like that there is no skill cap. I like that I can develop whatever I like. I can craft, I can learn every spell, and every ability. The only thing that limits me is how much time I have to make the skills stronger / more effective, and how many abilities I can fit on my action bar.
    • I like discovering new things (there's a lifespan on this). Even when I decide to walk into a zone that I've never explored before, and am disappointed by the fact that "oh, it's only another forest clone", I can still be perked up by "ooh, at least the bandits drop sturdy axes here!"
    • I like the housing/decoration. I have lots of issues with its accessability, but the act of returning to your home, putting away your stuff, crafting consumables for your next adventure, it just feels good.
    How about the rest of you?

15. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I doubt that disgruntled Ultima fans could be brought back. They are chasing a dragon by expecting anything new, that's built as a "spiritual successor" by anyone will provide the same kind of play experience as the fully developed and tweaked Ultima Online, especially with all the intervening years of technology and game play designs that have evolved.

If they stopped chasing those dragons and stepped back from demanding things that don't fit in the now more saturated market that are features seen in the industry as purely for full time players who enjoy causing grief in players who cannot ever hope to match the power of the griefers, then they could find piles of things to enjoy in SotA.

Open, no holds barred, PvP in a game like this doesn't make sense in this day and age, hence the consensual aspects of it.

Yes, I realize this is a huge canard for many players, that won't go away, but it's the reality of the changing marketplace. There's hundreds of MMOs now, compared to the... one when Ultima Online was originally released?

16. Corv

Corv Avatar

Ultima Online =/= Ultima

But overall I think the biggest issue of the game, the thing that holds back other design decisions that might help the popularity of the game is the RMT. It's the root of all evil. Oh, I am absolutely aware that at the same time it's exactly what many currently active players love about the game. But in my personal opinion it's still the biggest issue of the game.

17. Jorhoto

Jorhoto Avatar

Things I don't like from SOTA:

BAD:
    • A bit dated graphics.
    • I can't find the combat system fluid, and enemy NPCs behavior is not very realistic.
    • Why when you touch an NPC in a town (even a cat) you are slowed?
    • Gathering resources need a time for the char to -slowly- go to the right position before performing the animation. If you are close enough, just do it.
    • The night is too dark, so you have to use that night vision skill that continues all the time, even when the day starts and, when the skill ceases, you discover it is the afternoon and you stayed all the time with that un-needed green vision.

VERY BAD:
    • Having a heavily instanced world instead of an open world, that makes the travel system break the immersion and you lose cool things like experiencing a nice landscape while you travel/explore.
    • UI design and the lack of information making you to constantly google things.: Why do I have to check the web to find how to craft everything?
    • I started playing SOTA since the Steam release, to discover some days later that there wasn't a wipe. So there were players with over a year progress over you. It is ok bakers part with some benefits, cool visuals, even houses; but also the year and a half progress...

THE REAL BAD:
    • I can't find a hook or motivation to login and play. What would do this? A fresh new server launched with challenges: PVP UO-like (maybe not that hardcore, it could be RVR, or based in Guild war declarations, etc.).

18. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Peals of laughter when reading this.

Jaesun likes this.
  19. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

RMT?

20. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

So are steam users evaporating?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.