Moderation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Koss, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koss

Koss Avatar

I see alot of people posting again..

To me this is awesome.

I ask honestly....
    What are your thoughts on that?

Personally... We are all adults and I think it is great!

Your thoughts?

2. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Moderation has gone too damn far too damn often.

Im amazed i had time to reply to this thread before mod locks it.

3. Koss

Koss Avatar

4. MetricPig

MetricPig Avatar

I started posting again because i started playing again. Early backer, but due to other commitments decided to wait for launch to dive back in.
    I hope to see activity here increase along with the player base.

Lord Trady of Blix and majoria70 like this.
  5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I never stopped posting, I voice my opinion all the time... Have I been warned? Yes... Have my posts been deleted? Never... Have my posts been edited? Yes... Many posters don't understand "moderation", but I do... I support the moderators and what they do... I see "locked" threads, but I can still read them, and see how "derailed" they've become... They devolve to something less a discussion...

6. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Well thats an exaggeration, isn't it?
    Just think about the consequences before you end a party. ;)

jammaplaya likes this.
  7. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Yer part exaggeration lol

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And of course I post all the time still but I'm out of town with my mother who is in poor health until the end of August so of course you get way less picture examples from me and more typos since I only have my cell phone to use for now. *Sighs*

Ataniiq, jammaplaya and Chatele like this.
  9. oplek

oplek Avatar

People don't always act as adults here.

Whenever someone posts something needlessly antagonistic, or is just taunting the mods or devs, that is not someone behaving as an adult.

Chatele likes this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Fixed that for you.

11. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Agreed, most of the time. Threads are fine, the tone is good, there is no fight of anything. It's only a good debate of many things and yet… they will lock it and hide behind a so so excuse.
    Debate means : A formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.

This is not good at all for a healthy community. But it does looks bad for the devs because sometimes we might say things who are true but should not have been said…
    So yes, moderation has gone waaaaaay to far.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  12. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

So, you're saying we need moderation in..... moderation.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

14. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I forgot how to trash talk.

15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, I for one, disagree !!! heh.

Fungus likes this.
  16. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Lol yes.

Cordelayne likes this.
  17. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Back in 2013 LB said in an interview that player involvement in what would become a crowd funded SOTA was central to his vision.

I've alpha and beta tested around a dozen games, large and small, and whilst I've been asked to test and comment on systems, report bugs and input into ballance, I've never been involved in a game creation project where the Developer encourages and enables the community to contribute to actually designing the game and following assessment may implement some of those ideas.

As those who have been involved in game testing projects before know, game design is normally a closed box. It is the IP of the developer and the design is literally the commercial life or death of the project and people's jobs, and normally jealously protected. As a tester you hang around for crumbs of info on progress and new features and are happy when you get them.

SOTA forums are awash with comments and criticisms of the lack of player involvement in development, that the Devs don't listen, that someone's design idea is not being implemented.... that Portalarium are....undemocratic.

Whilst I'm sure LB and Port were passionate about player input into design, I wonder if they envisaged forums like these are now and I wonder whether they regret their bold and risky decision and wished they had developed the game in the conventional way? There is still time for them to do so, especially as episode 2 approaches.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  18. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

I think forums and reviews paint a much harsher picture of the game. The community is very key because we are able to create experiences outside of the normal gameplay. We make up our own events, sports, tournaments, and we help people in various ways without asking for anything in return. We collaborate and have an amazing time. I am pleased with 90% of the game. I am not blind to the issues and do stand by those who have legitimate concerns about the game. But I still look forward to every release as they work on those issues. And I am absolutely looking forward to the next episode.

19. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Forum usage is cyclical: Launch of alpha lots of ideas thrown in the pot / persistence saw many return and the same subjects being raised / free trial memberships saw an influx of fresh people who withered away over a short period of time / 'live' launch again saw many return to again only to dissipate after a few weeks and then the recent job losses saw many silent folks become vocal on many subjects that got regurgitated up again from alpha launch onwards such as teleporting / game mechanics / broken X Y or Z.

I actually think the moderation over the last couple of weeks has been of a lot higher standard than for the last couple of years; peoples frustrations have been aired in a reasonable manner, many of the seasoned mass posters have tried to inflict their own agenda back on to the general player base, many of these quiet souls have played the game since R1 but generally chosen not to participate in forum 'discussions' though this time felt enough's enough and to a degree there's been some what of a concerted blow back this time round, compared to the previous cycles as detailed above.

General perception from recent forum threads seems to be that where the devs have listened to the players, it's been the ones who invested heavily in the project, that have then also shouted the loudest or basically become their 'new friend' and this has in short backfired as current player numbers convey that even a blind man with three guide dogs couldn't fail to miss. This type of forum interaction has had a massive impact within the games development, one is example is that the PvP crowd were basically chased out of SotA via anti PvP forum posters with the effects of that are now being felt quite starkly now in full release. Even with the management teams realization of this fact with the fast development and now testing of the Obsidian trials in R55 plus much more being promised I think it may be too late to save this key element of the game; even now, no lessons seem to have been learnt as folks have turned their attentions to the 'grinders' for being adventure level 100+ and 'spoiling' the spirit (in their eyes) of what the game should be.

I'm sure some of the usual suspects will rally against some, if not all of my points, vehemently disagreeing. Thankfully like me, many live in a free democratic society and I fully respect their right to reply (as long as my words aren't altered in any quotes) I'd just ask them not to go into full amateur dramatics mode and as a previous poster in this thread alluded to 'behave like adults' with any feedback.

Boris Mondragon and Koss like this.
  20. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

I had that as my sig once. And it got... moderated.
    [​IMG]

So much for RG wanting us to "speak up when you feel thing are good or bad."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.