Upper Tears

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

UT is where all the high level players go to grind so if you take that away from them they'll freak

Mishras likes this.
  2. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

yea dump on folks having controlled fun and may leave the game because of it, which is the exact opposite of what's needed at present. A counter argument could be that instead how about if you role play, quest or craft there's a high percentage chance of getting PvP switched on automatically once in a while too? no? It'd keep said player types honest wouldn't it, using your analogy?

To be fair there are a lot of lower level players who go there that high end players help boost up a bit too, but your right Port prefer to swing a sledgehammer at grinders to keep the high rollers happy and suffer the consequences of low population whilst scratching their heads on how that happened for what is basically a blooming great game.

3. marthos

marthos Avatar

I sure do, but that's not a Bludgeoning skill, it's a Heavy Armor skill. There is nothing stopping archers from going into other skill trees and picking skills to augment their weaknesses. Heck, that is the entire beauty of the open skill / deck system that the game has.

I feel like Chris is designing the game as if players just pick a couple of skill trees and that's it. He's thinking in terms of fixed classes instead of flexible decks. Archers ONLY use ranged skills in his mind. When he says "[Archers] need at least one more multiple target skill before it can compete" he forgets that they have access to Fireball, Ring of Fire, Discharge, Chain Lightning, Meteor Shower, Earthquake, etc.

Blade / Bludgeon / Polearm users are choosing a weapon that has multi-target abilities at short range. They should grab ranged attacks from the magic trees to compliment their build (or grab Body Slam / Engage). Likewise if a player picks up a bow, they should compliment the bow's weaknesses from the magic trees as well. No skill tree should be a complete package.

Synergy Blaize, MetricPig and Brewton like this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Body Slam, stunning and Knockdown. Do you have those trained up?

5. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I think the post you reply to was about that bows are always way high up the ladder in teletons so they are rarely if ever reached (last one was i think before sota went public)
    Me personally i think bows do not as much need more aoe as more ... maybe call it trick shots.
    Things that do not do much damage but similar to sanare, things that are more about tactics would go a long way. (and work on higher level mobs, by now i rarely use incapacitate because pretty useless.)

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  6. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Look if i want to augment my bow with magic and use fireball and what not, why not save me the hassle and exp for bow (exp wise expensive by itself) and simple learn ranged magic skills and be done with it. I then have ranged and all the AOE i want for less exp.

IF magic to complement bows would mean i can add an fireball to my bowshot and add that to, lets say multishot, now THAT would be a thing of beauty!

But putting the bow away to fling an fireball ... why use the bow in the first place, that would kinda silly to train bow then.

7. marthos

marthos Avatar

Body Slam isn't part of Bludgeoning skill tree, it's at 80. The other two I've GM'ed but they don't have the range of archery. I compliment my build with ranged attacks from magic trees. It's just strange to me that Chris doesn't see how archers already have access to several AOE skills if they just look outside that one tree.

I do like Pounce's idea though of having combos...Fireball plus Multishot would very cool. Ground pound plus Earthquake could be amazing. There needs to be a lot more combos in the game, most of the ones in the game have been in there for almost 2 years now. Seems like a forgotten system.

timelordian5 and Jaesun like this.
  8. marthos

marthos Avatar

Same argument applies to every other skill. If I want to augment blades with ranged attacks, just give me "throwing daggers" that do the exact same thing as archery. Save me experience points. If I want to augment my polearm skills with healing spells, give me a passive that automatically heals me. Etc. The skill trees could all be designed to do anything and everything, but then what's the point of the different trees other than different animations?

The combo idea is awesome.

9. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

It is for my opinion the only thing that makes really sense....

I mean, look at it this way, Mages channel stuff through wants and staffs, then melee doing the magic thing should to it through there weapon of choice....

What irks me about sota is "you can be anything blablabla"

Silly ol me thought " oh cool I learn ignite weapon and have me some really flamy arrows!"

...nope....

"I learn ice arrow and for sure with this combo thingy i can shoot lewt ice arrows with my bow!"

...nope....

and so on.

I always adored for example spellswords like from swordcoast, kinda ninjaish swordfighter who makes magic with swordpatterns and all that stuff, just with bow....

...but...

Put bow away and cast stuff...basically.

Sota has a lot of stuff that is not interconnected, lotsa of not realised things that could make the game actual fun (and maybe add a little more tactical use of abilities to the game)

But kinda it is more about making new zones for pvp so ...meh

I mean seeing we have only "Str Dex Int" as stats should have been enough warning to me......

10. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Personally hoping for an expansion of the combo system as well.. the ones in there already are pretty nice, but see a ton of potential for more skill/spell or even skill/skill combinations..

Can even up the ante with combos using 3-4+ skills creating some massive combos ;)

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

After alot of testing of upper tears yesterday and the night before ive come to the conclusion during normal xp and not the double it feels about right. With a good group I was able to attenuate with a lower level group I could not attenuate. The last 15 runs I attenuated 3 times.

I do wonder if there might be a bug in the dbl xp thing though during the weekend I attenuated every 15-20 mins. Based on that every 40 mins during normal xp times id capout, which I was unable to do.

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ive farmed tears for a hundred hours+ since it came out. I always join PUG groups mostly and they like having me since I have 82 GM's now. But the actual fact is most pugs are full of people who have <5 GM's and rarely anyone high level. If we have 3 people in a PUG that are high enough to do it then its a surprise. Most pugs are very low players (or alts) sucking up XP. I dont mind this at all since Im helping low level people out as well as hitting my 1 mill xp an hour even with them. I only ask that they make sure they help out, its amzingly hard at times, you can walk into a new group and see 5 of them standing there facing the wrong way up on the hill and know you are in trouble with a lot of people steeling XP with 5% of their attention on the game.

Saying this, if you are a new player no matter what level, open up your looking for group menu and join a tears group (look for me "Starman" since I somehow keep being the leader). Most will be happy to have you and 8 hours in UT gets you enough xp and skills to do 90% of the game content. I only ask that you contribute to helping the group even if you just keep me on full time target and spam me with heals (because I somehow keep becoming the main tank even though Im an archer lol).

Vox Aquila, Beli and Synergy Blaize like this.
  13. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Oddly, it seems like UT is way more than double exp during double experience times. This weekend I'll double check it but we attenuated in what seemed like 15 mins with double exp running. Without double XP we never did thou it was a larger group so perhaps the extras that probably were helping bought down our exp enough to stop it.

14. Mishra

Mishra Avatar

I waited several hours for you to return and leech off my intelligence. :p

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

You were a great find and took me most the way to where I needed to be..

Ull always be my rockstar!

Synergy Blaize and Mishras like this.
  16. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

17. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

Your Kidding right?

My friend started playing 3 hours ago and hes already a "Grandmaster".

Matt Harris likes this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

Meh, there are people with > 120 GMs in the game. Plus with xp attenuation I find that a little hard to believe but okay.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Jaesun likes this.
  19. mccpx

mccpx Avatar

UT is undoing the game imo.

The only reason it is possible for this zone to have any of the good features (accurately) listed in this thread is that it is the fastest place to get XP. If that goes, so follows all those wonderful side effects.

Unfortunately, this isn't a zone which you have to navigate or coordinate, it is a zone you can win by pressing 1-2-3. This has amplified it's popularity, and double XP has amplified that even further.

Great, you're probably thinking. But actually, the endless XP progression is the hook in this game. Bingeing on it is going to hasten the process, like throwing all the wood on the flame.

These people will advance at a level that makes the rest of game seem trivial, and the pointlessness well shine like a beacon regardless of whether the rate is pulled back.

Spoon and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

UT is addictive I can say that.... I mean you slog through the game, barely getting xp, but if you get with a solid group on UT, you can attenuate in like 20-30 mins. so I can totally understand why people are gravitated towards it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.