1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

R54 Livestream Missed Questions (Part 1)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that was removed

Jens_T and Jaesun like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Maybe they could just make crafting stations placeable in POTs?

Paulie Walnuts likes this.
  3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

That was my first suggestion a while back, I never heard anything back on that one. Maybe it got answered it in the livestream and missed it, but that would be the better solution IMO. I'm going to add that in the original response. Thanks for the reminder.

Barugon likes this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This was answered during the telethon, and was said that it would NOT be a good idea because then people can just copy other's hard work rather than do it themselves. That kind of ruins the economy, and makes it so noone will trade their own unique music.

If @Stryker Sparhawk means his runic fonts, you can download them from the Digital Lycaeum.

Jaesun likes this.
  5. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Not directly, no, however Chris has always said that COTO drop rate (currently really low) would be increased as the amount of COTOs in the world went down. Originally, I think it was because there were a lot of COTOs granted in packages. I don't know if most of those have been used, but it stands to reason that purchasing COTOs would keep the amount in the world up, keeping the drop rate down.

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Does this mean that they are going to change books so that only the author can copy them? Because writing is also hard work. Some would say harder on the whole, because most of those are not an abc/midi file downloaded from the internet, copying the work of some other person who transcribed the works of another third-party composer or band.

Dartan Obscuro likes this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Hope so. Its been on the list of complaints about how books work for a long time.

Jaesun, Spoon and LoneStranger like this.
  8. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Wasn't this game based off of Tracy Hickman and Richard Garriott's book? If it was, for those who have not read the book, does the game tell that full story?

9. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

The book tells the story hundred years ago ...
    In game we receive a lot of information about these former times and the Obsidians. The game is not telling the full story of the book.

Jaesun likes this.
  10. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Okay that is what I'm getting at. I remember the first time I saw information about the Obsidians was in The Epitaph. I also have the book Midras, and I believe the Lost Vale tells some of the story there as well. I guess what I experience is when I'm in areas like the ruins, or other hunting zones that hint of some history, there is no lore there. If there is I don't know where. Are they not part of the history? Upper Tears is another area, there's an entire city underwater at the bottom of the tears and I'm still wondering what happened there.

11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

While you're not at all wrong, indeed on sotadb.info I have a note on the page for leather to NEVER make Leather from scraps, having a recipe that can never be useful just bothers me (and I assume others, too, as it keeps coming up). That recipe is so bad that even if they (hypothetically) removed the 12 scrap from the recipe, it would still never be used. I've, personally, given up on trying to explain it to them though. It's just a sprinkling of sand in my boots: annoying, but not enough to really do something about (even something as low-effort as complain on the internet about it).

Vladamir Begemot and Barugon like this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That’s after the catastrophe happened?

Sorry, still getting used to the lore. :oops:

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

All they would need to do in order to fix it is have it output two leather, like the regular recipe does. I'm not going to complain about it further, though, because their solution would likely be to make the regular recipe more expensive.

Jaesun likes this.
  14. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

This is not possible anymore though?

15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I came to ask this..
    Chris said coto drop rate is dependant on current crownz in circulation..
    This has been said and discussed for years?

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

As far as I am aware you can only clear ALL data, which is a huge mistake.

Huge mistake. Don't do it unless your journal is almost empty.

Jaesun likes this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The problem is I have met some who didn't want to click Yes for fear of being destroyed in the Siege they would have been waved through. So they just don't go, and never get waived.

18. Dereck Visaard

Dereck Visaard Avatar

Great points here, @Spoon. Given the smaller staff now, I would hope that Portalarium looks at ways to reduce their load, while creating and engaging forum for players to suggest features. The current "can we have X" just seems to go into a black hole which disappoints players and probably overwhelms @DarkStarr and others. In my experience, an up voting system is a great way to weed out the rif-raf (i.e. one random player's angst) versus something that would be popular and draw more players to the game. Of course Portalarium would have to balance popularity with budget and technical feasibility, etc. but the approach would give us community folks more of a stake in what's really important. One thing I like about tools like User Voice is that you can limit how many votes users have so it makes the voters really consider what is important to them and vote accordingly. You quickly see what bubbles to the top as 'must have' features by the community.

And to your other point...yes, the FAQ is terribly incomplete and outdated and Starr's note that 'this has been answered before' is not a valid objection since it's unrealistic that a new player even knows which forums to look in, much less be able to scroll through or search all the walls of text that have previous answers. The system needs to change.

Spoon likes this.
  19. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Only issue with this suggestion is that your relying on folks to actually vote and if most players don't read / bother with forums it will be very much like real life AGM's (annual general meetings) where you will have 100,000 members but only 10-15% of membership actually bothers to vote. This then leads to vote being driven by interested parties who frequent forums; even if you send it out via direct email to all players you'll still end up with a very small percentage voting.

I answer this with 17years of experience as someone that is regularly employed as an independant scrutineer of AGM & EGM votes held in the European Union.

Usual format to why a company may see a substantial increase in voting numbers in RL? Well it isn't the perceived vastly inflated directors remuneration packages as you'd expect with media led fake news, but more often than not said organisation changes it's company logo or the charity it supports, in this I kid you not! Depressing eh.

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That's beside the point. The issue at hand is not getting more people to ask questions; it's reducing/focusing the number already being asked to something more manageable, especially where those questions invlove feature requests.

Jaesun and Dereck Visaard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.