What Did RG Think Shroud Was Going To Cost?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaanelle DeJure, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

I do not see the relevance to clarify this point.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Funny, but what is UT?

3. mass

mass Avatar

Hmmm...sounds like kickstarter is not an appropriate platform for his project.

4. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Upper Tears, the new hot spot for grinding.

Lord Trady of Blix and Barugon like this.
  5. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Why? What other avenue for an independent studio?

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ha! I thought it was an acronym for some slot machine reward.

Culann, Jaesun and Brugas like this.
  7. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Marketing is not worth much when social media and fan sites have been left unchecked by Port with representatives mitigating the nastiness and gross misinformation haters are putting out. Social media and fan site interaction IS marketing in 2018. Buying ad space in demographically logical places isn't all there is to it anymore.

I'm so disappointed that the community didn't rise to the challenge as well as Port creating a small team for that purpose as well. I'm getting tired of taking the bullets for this entire community. There are more of us than them, realistically.

8. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Don't know a whole lot about Kickstarter.. but always just made assumptions off the name, which was just "kick-starting" a process.. not completing the journey. "Wholely funded" just sounds anathema to what kick-starting implies..

Maybe it's just me ;)

Vaentorian and Brugas like this.
  9. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I will leave you to your deep ponderings then. May you find the answers you seek.

10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Oh no, I never said the Kickstarter was "clear." I totally get how people might have gotten the wrong idea into their heads!

It's the dogged persistence that somebody actually had the "right idea" all along that I am talking about. The seeming immunity to facts and information, and willingness to engage in perpetual conflict rather than just admit they had the wrong idea.

As I've said before- it's nothing to be ashamed about. I get the wrong idea in my head about things all the time.

I've also made some pretty poor investments before this one as well.

It's a pretty noob move really... To invest in something because you are excited about the idea and really wish it would come to fruition.

I've done it before, and probably will again.

But then... If I make a mistake, I tend to think whoops! There I go being an idiot again.

What it seems to me has been going on here is some people who invested more than they could really afford to lose, and who would now rather try to launch conspiracy theories and relentless attacks and defamatory upon Portalarium, than simply admit they were mistaken, and made a poor financial decision.

And look... Really nothing on Port whatsoever here. Financially backing a crowdfunded experimental computer game is really the definition of a poor financial decision. We are all guilty as charged! :D

11. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I wasn't there for the kickstarter but soon after, and was expecting a much simpler/smaller scale game, with much stronger focus on the story and the MMO side just a little extra feature. Can't produce any evidence (because I'm too lazy to search) but I seem to recall there being a statement during the first year that the direction had changed significantly in response to the level of backing and the features people were expressing interest in. Or to put it simply:

Jens_T, Vyrin, ephialtes and 4 others like this.
  12. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I would of been happy with a much smaller and complete game that expanded after release.

13. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I think so, too. Port did a great job of listening to feedback requests for new features. I mean if you look at the sheer amount of work that gets done with each Release it is really impressive for a studio of that size.

I always felt that the greatest potential for the game was in the way they could tie lore and combat mechanics together through storytelling and the virtue system.

I mean... I still believe that is possible but it's really hard to see the forest through the trees at this point.

FrostII likes this.
  14. mass

mass Avatar

If you admit that you can't follow the rules of the funding platform (which is the essence of that quote), then perhaps that is a poor choice to pursue funding with. Particularly when those rules exist for the protection of backers. A studio can seek a platform that has less protective rules or create their own donation/funding website. Or they can break the rules; but that typically comes with some misgivings from some of their backers. I don't see that a lot though. I've backed about a half dozen games and only 1 has ever sought funding beyond the kickstarter.

15. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

What exactly are they not following? Were the games funded single player? Co-Ops? MMOs? Big differences there. As an independent company constantly making, improving, expanding the game as the game goes on, they will always need revenue. It's not like "Wastelands 2", where once you make it, that's basically it. Its an MMO-hybrid constantly changing and expanding. It would be awesome if they had a full pro bono team doing everything for free but thats an unrealistic pipe-dream.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    FrostII and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

And we have a subscription now if anyone has it in their hearts to help out a little :)

17. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

This is probably off topic, but wouldn't it be fun to have a contest for the most stupid thread of the year.

Thwip likes this.
  18. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

F.U.D. :D

Or perhaps, the dispelling of such

Barugon and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  19. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

From the POV that someone, putting down money for all 5 episodes way back then shouldn't be expected to put their hand in their pocket again - and still get all five episodes - they are quite right to believe in that.

Insofar that a Kickstarter, or any crowd-fund, is a contract to fulfil what's promised, people have every right to believe they've paid for all five episodes if that's the option they selected back then.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And you don't have to.

Kain Darkmoor, Elwyn and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.