So in thinking of Ways Port Can Earn Revenue..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caveloot.com Owner, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stile

stile Avatar

So we recently saw this Kickstarter.:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1179999659/portrait-of-scottie-for-shroud-of-the-avatar/updates

Why not appoint a community Kickstart coordinator, such as Frank.

They would take ideas from the community for kickstarters. Pick one of the most popular and viable ones. Work with port on what needs to be raised to do it.

Then launch it. Mini Kickstarter's for many goals.

Gould be another way not only for Port to bring in some revenue, but also to get things implemented that otherwise funding would not be available to implement.

Boris Mondragon and Brugas like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

More store swag. Make some badass entrance / exit emotes and I'll be buying them.

3. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

In Central Brittany by the castle is a giant colluseum that is locked up. What is that for? A place to hold tournaments? Open that up as one of the mini kickstarters. Do a royal tournament with a prize from Lord British. Maybe do two per year.

Alioth, Bigg, Boris Mondragon and 2 others like this.
  4. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

I think the oracle is evil... really evil... very stalkery evil evil...
    Now as for the coliseum... think SAW... and then factor in "The Oracle"...
    Awful lot of skeletons and remains around... hmmm

5. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Great idea; I would also add getting mods from the community with payment if implemented in the form of COTOS/Titles. I am sure many modders that play the game can create some mods that could bring Port money for EP2. Start with those that can alter current avatar appearance, Hairstyles, attire etc. This kind of involvement can help change the image of this game and attract more players. R/Boris

Jaesun, Sol Stormlin and Brugas like this.
  6. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

I was thinking more like knights and stuff, not horror movie lol!

Although maybe beneath the Oracle Temple there is such a dungeon...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Brugas and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  7. stile

stile Avatar

See?

Need a small team, volunteers, maybe someone that already works with Port.

Heck, if he can find the time Rild would also be good for it, he has Kickstarter experience.

Run small mini Kickstarter, to achieve small implement goals. If it doesn't get funded, not enough people wanted it (at that time), and go to the next one. Keep it a thing that can be done for a couple thousand initially, with just 1 or 2 small stretch goals that addon to that main one.

I think this would have a LOT of potentials to get a LOT of small things done.

I.E. - How much is it going to cost for you to hire one of your previous coders, as a independent contractor to add... the ability to change the text color here from red to blue? (made up example).

ok...Kickstarter.... wallets are thrown at it, because EVERYONE wants it fixed... and it not only gets fixed, but 2 other small things in a relationship.

Ports time or involvement could be very very minor, and they could include that in the costs, etc.

Id imagine they could even find someone willing to take on a contract paid per hour type job, to do nothing but implement these little things as they come up. Or maybe someone at port will volunteer to put in a couple extra hours to do this thing, and they are being paid OT from the KS to do it, rather then from port.

alllll kinds of ways things could be done. its just a matter of being creative

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  8. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Regional Taxi Skins (upgraded overworld carriage on rails visuals)

What about if they ever automate overword travel (at least within the local region) When you "set off" either by GTA taxi type function at your property or the local "taxi rank" (or sky ship mooring) (seriously how good are sky ships travelling between towns good for making up a reason scenes are not built between towns?) or... if you are following, during edge of town transition (zone) Maybe you can purchase the skin of the carriage that comes to collect you?

Sky ships would be different as they already exist, but having a unique "taxi" (carriage) skin moving you from town to town would be pretty cool. I'd like to see carriages trondle through towns, so that's why I think a taxi depot or lazier "from home" service would be pretty cool. (I think they should move slow enough as to give the impression of realism... No cheating! make them move through town and no teleporting to map edges? (looks at mine carts and elevators speed with slight disgust) of seeing them move about town with people going different places).

To reiterate:

If town to town travel inside a local region was ever automated, offer:
    >skins of the carriages
    >size of the carriage (maybe not, it should always be fun inviting your friends. Maybe pay a few extra $$ for a crazier driver or a closer service. (from the depot, from your lot, from your feet)
    >speed of the carriage? (inside the town and on overword?) - keep speeds slow! no cheating and keep up realism while making scenes busier. (can they be ambushed? *wink wink*)

If ever implemented, I think the carriage service should always be available for free, but maybe the "look" of the carriage service could be opened to skins.

Just an idea ive been working on, I really don't see the point of WASD travel on the overworld. Im playing lots of eve atm and I think people especially with disabilities etc could really be let off the hook with overworld travel. WASD movement really only needs to be in scenes, but a slow taxi ride to enjoy the view to your selected location would be great for emersion AND make towns look busy. (and give a reason for city roads to exist lets be honest)

Maybe i'll make this a separate post sometime. I should really emphasise I would love to see "giant" characters begone! from the overworld map. I think it just doubles up the visualisation of your character needlessly.

(and hey who doesnt want to see carriages trondling across the landscape, not to mention airships and boats. (still want them in scenes at some point?) :D

(Wrote this at 6AM so apologies for any writing issues.)

Just thinking "aloud."

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Boris Mondragon likes this.
  9. Cianna

Cianna Avatar

We can't just depend on the current players to do it, though. Many are already tapped out with how much they have already given and how much they can continue to contribute. We have to work on bringing in new players.

Community-based marketing could help quite a bit. There are enough of us here with the talents and the willingness to help that we could create ads for the game and plaster them all over social media, as well as our blogs and web sites. Personal testimonies about playing the game would also help.

10. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Here is a thought: make all old stretch goals available for purchase on the store for standard store prices? So if you were able to get the items during the livestream it's 5 for everything, but if you missed it or want extra copies charge a full price. Seems like a no brainer since all the art is already created and in game.

11. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I doubt putting anything on kickstarter will work. On kickstarter new people will click on the previous projects done by portalarium, read the kickstarter comments on Sota and stay well away.
    Existing players would back through some in house system, though as mentioned, many are tapped out.
    I mentioned the kickstarter problem in another thread and someone linked an alternative platform for game funding, that may work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.