Crafting contracts

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Ceesed, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceesed

Ceesed Avatar

I've been looking around at the information about crafting and was wondering if anything has been said about contracts.

I'd really love to see a contract system where players could make simple contracts with other players. Say Adventurer A requests Sword B from Smith C for D price within E given time period. A simple system. Seems like an excellent way to tie together the housing, dialog, and crafting systems together in a non-auction way.

Think about setting up a smithing shop in a small village where you do your smithing thing. You earn a decent reputation for some aspect of it. Then when an adventurer rolls into town and asks a local NPC if they can recommend a smith they can tell you who to try. By tracking a few basic metrics through the contracts you could have NPCs give out some cool information like "You could try Bob, he does really good work at a decent price, but he's never around" or "Bill does good work but I hear he's backlogged" or "Jane is good and I think she around right now".

Seems like an idea that could be implemented in a simple form with a lot of room to flesh out in the future. Granted it only really works in one of the three game modes but I would so love to see something like this in a game of this nature.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Yes, make to order goods have been discussed many times. It makes more sense than make to stock.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

One way they discussed this previously was some sort of "job board" in the game, where you could post your requests that other players could complete for you. I don't think they've discussed it recently but it seems they were thinking of facilitating this in-game somehow. An extension to this would be from your vendor if you have one. Your vendor could also show resource needs and players could fulfill those orders through the vendor system. I definitely like the idea proposed here about using NPCs to relay this information as well as it fits in with my NPC social graphs idea.

4. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I think a system like this would kill the face to face trading that we suspect to see in game. This isn't much different from an auction house, instead the buyer sets the prices.

5. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Agree here; if something like this is done it needs to be carefully balanced. This could be handled as a simple mail request to your favorite crafter (can you make me an uber sword of greatness, I have about 100 gold to spend), who could then respond (sure, give me a couple of days to gather materials and craft it and I'll meet you at the Tavern!).

Golem Dragon likes this.
  6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I think it's a good idea to have a board where you can pick up orders and craft away. It would also be a good way to level your crafting rather than just making the same boring item over and over again...I enjoy crafting most when there is a purpose to what I am crafting rather than just to grind levels. :)

deadq and Golem Dragon like this.
  7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Me too... and this would be just another way of having community created content where you basically have what i kinda see like quests that could be created... someone could put a request for a really high level crafted item that maybe requires some tough to get reagents or materials... the cost would be high but it would almost be like a player created quest for a crafter to go out, get the stuff and come back and make it for a nice profit as well as give a player then a neat item that could help grow their business and make them more known in the world as a good crafter....

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Just the thought of some of the neat things that this could do for player generated economic growth as well as group work and player content is really great.... keep up the great ideas ppl... <3

9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Also, There were some great incentives to craft in Vanguard with workorders from NPC crafting people who would give you a bag of goodies for filling their orders. Of course in that game there was crafting attire in addition to crafting tools so the bags would be filled with things such as that...Based upon the quality of the work order you would get more stuff and a chance of rare/epics...Kept me crafting for hours...

I don't know how quality/immersion will work in crafting here (will see soon yay)...but this always made me craft for hours on end in hopes that I could improve my crafting gear and find some rare resources as well.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  10. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

yeah in FF14 they had that too with crafting where you could fulfill orders...

11. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I wouldn't mind seeing this, but would have to be limited, I think it should be something along the lines of:

1. Single Display/Use - When written it can be displayed in one place, if you want it in more then one, have to write more then one
    2. Takes Max value of the contract from the writer upon writing - discourages people from writing contracts, especially multiple
    3. Takes a Fee - Gold Sink - Encourages interaction
    4. Requires use of a facility to Redeem the Contract or to turn it in - could be banker
    5. Has expiration dates - Several different to depend on which phase it is in.
      1. Written/Not Contracted - Expires after X days, charging the writer a fee prior to returning initial funds
      2. Written/Contracted - Expires after X days since contract was agreed upon, charging a high penalty to party taking contract and not filling, takes funds from their account, if no funds are available, system pays and locks them out of the contract system till all funds and an additional penalty are repaid.
      3. Contracted/Turned in - Storage fee will be accessed to writer if not collected in X days after fill by passes, takes funds from their account.

Lord Baldrith and Golem Dragon like this.
  12. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Great thoughts... I totally agree Kiron... some guidelines, limits, tweaks and so forth to make it work but still keep it balanced, interactive, etc is what will take to make it work.... Neat thing is it can be implemented in each town/city/village and help encourage regional economy along with global economy... could make for some fun reasons to explore the world and travel. :)

13. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Yep, agree completely, why the number 1 thing I posted on that was not having a global contract board or something like that.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  14. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

The nice thing too about adding limits it will help the devs in the every frustrating battle to keep things balanced well in the game....

15. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Unless i am mistaken but it has been said that crafting will not be like other MMO's where you have to make the same item over and over. You get the most "skill" from making the hardest item and so on. This was said in earl development so it is yet to be see of course. But i do agree i hope we don't have to make 800 Katanas to gain 1.0 skill ;)

Golem Dragon and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

I am leaving this post here, but I have since learned auctions will not be in the game. Also I regret this idea as it violates my personal desire for more social interaction between players. I blame WOW and SWTOR for their bad influence on me...
    edited 1/22/14 original post follows:

--"Reverse Auctions" could be added to the auction house. If you want say, 100 donkey loads of wood, you could post your "reverse auction" and let wood gatherers "bid" on the contract. When you go check on your "reverse auction" you see the bids, select one and "pay" the money into escrow at the auction house. The supplier then delivers the goods to the auction house at which time the supplier receives payment. You later pick up your goods at the auction house.
    --Similarly, if you need something crafted you could post a reverse auction and see what the crafters "bid" on providing your item.
    --This uses "in game" mechanisms (auction house) and is in fact a variation of the auctions with which we are familiar.

deadq and Golem Dragon like this.
  17. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

The Devs have already stated that there would be no auction house.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think much of the conversation may have strayed a bit from the intended idea. Job boards are one thing.. and a potentially good way to pick up NPC generated orders to keep you busy.. but the suggestion was contracts directly between players was it not? Though I personally am inclined to say that that level of details should be left between players.

The game doesn't need to track player-player transactions to know that Bob & Bill are good smiths or that one has been very active recently and the other hasn't logged in for awhile. The game can also track simple trades - items for gold.. directly between players if that's what they want to do. If players want to RP a written contract they can use books or parchments for written agreements.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  19. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

@Mingo, However I would love to see the contracts work both from the bottom up and from the top down.

By that I mean that a Crafter could post a Contract for anything from the raw resources to top level gear if they so choose and anything in between, such as hilts, blades, or even tools.
    If the item is in the crafting scope of the game, I believe that a contract should be able to written on it.

20. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I do understand what you are saying and while other games do do this, it tends to be games with very little social interaction. I do so miss going into town and notice someone selling loads of wood and striking up a conversation with them. Normally chatting with players, you could usually haggle prices some and end up making a great deal. Then if i am lucky, we chat for a bit, exchange emails, and then boom, I now have a permanent supplier of wood.

Typically the ones bank sitting and selling wares are younger players trying to make there way into the world and I get a chance to help them personally, and not threw some random board. Most times I don't need the items being sold, but if i can afford it, get a good deal, and it is something that i use regularly, i will purchase it. This activity adds LOADS of interaction and enjoyment to the game. I think if all players had to do was walk up to message boards and or auction houses for there items, then you totally kill player interaction when comes to trading. I think it is enough that there are player owned NPC vendors to sell our wares while we are afk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.